The Canada Thread

panzade

Reply Tue 3 Dec, 2013 05:23 pm
@farmerman,
The "stones' used are stale Horton doughnuts I've been told.
0 Replies

mckenzie

Reply Wed 4 Dec, 2013 04:16 pm
panzade, sometimes we do, to watch the local teams of Jennifer Jones and Jeff Stoughton. She's right at the top of the standings, though he's not doing so well at the moment. Otherwise we catch it on TV.

farmerman, try TSN.

(I'd say the dried donuts make better hockey pucks.)

ossobuco

Reply Wed 4 Dec, 2013 11:27 pm
I donut know nothin, but I'm listenting.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 5 Dec, 2013 10:02 am
@mckenzie,
Quote:
(I'd say the dried donuts make better hockey pucks.)

Of course...what was I thinking?
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Fri 6 Dec, 2013 03:43 am
Last week, my dog Murphy, he's half great dane, half american bulldog - a great american bull dane. I digress, he saw a rabbit. A hare, one of many that parade themselves in the neighbourhood. Sometimes, there's a gang of them outside our window. He barks and shakes the window, while they mildly lick their paws, sitting or laying prostate in the snow banks, feet from said window.
So, last week, amidst a very chilly walk, on snow and ice covered roads/sidewalks, my dogs first sees a cat. I manage to stop the chase by body surfing across a neighbours lawn. K, it was covered in a foot of snow. It softened the blow on my knees.
A few blocks later a hare, a rabbit on steriods, jumps out in front of us. Had he remained hidden, all would be well. But nooooooo. This small brained varmit jumps out with in biting distance. Keeee riiist.
Murpholuphagus dragged me until my feet gave way underneath. I landed on my back. Good news, it cracked in places that needed to be cracked for months. It cracked all the way down, till my head flung back and cracked too, against the pavement, k.. ice packed pavement. He kept pulling so my shoulders screwed too and my wrist.
He's great at chasing away unwanted Jehovahs, but OMG. I'm F*cked up,.
Then tonight, whist curling, in a building that keeps the temp below freezing even when it's -29 C outside. I hate the cold. WTF am I doing curling in the cold, with freezing fingers.. and nose, with a sore back, sweeping like an idiot and my back seizes up.
And my shoulder.
And elbow.
And wrist.

I hate getting old.
None the less.
I missed who won tonight. Did Martin win? It's a pretty big deal up here.
farmerman

Reply Fri 6 Dec, 2013 04:16 am
@Ceili,
Fuckin dogs. I had several like that and I found the thing that worked was one of these restraint collars that pulls their heads up. Sometimes , you need to take firm measures so the dog doesn't cause you serious hurt.

You don't wear skis and let your dog pull you do you? That's sending a wrong message
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Fri 6 Dec, 2013 11:01 am
It's -25 C today! -34 with the wind chill - brrrr!
panzade

Reply Fri 6 Dec, 2013 11:14 am
Ceili, your post reminded me of why I had to move down to S Florida in my late 20's. My back had locked up for the upteenth time in a mild Virginia winter and I packed my stuff and headed South.
Now I'm surrounded by ignorant schmucks but it's 27C outside and my back feels..well...really good.
farmerman

Reply Fri 6 Dec, 2013 02:12 pm
@panzade,
My aunt lives in Flagler Beach, watch it.
panzade

Reply Fri 6 Dec, 2013 03:39 pm
@farmerman,
We went out to dinner...she's pretty cool.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 6 Dec, 2013 04:28 pm
@farmerman,
Wow! I know somebody in Flagler Beach.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Fri 6 Dec, 2013 05:46 pm
@Mame,
MAME! That's -13 F !!! Not counting wind chill! At NOON!!! What in the hell are you doing up there?! People are not meant to live in places with that kind of weather!

And here I was feeling sorry for myself because we're having snow and ice, and it's supposed to get down to 3 F tonight. (Extreme for here.)

0 Replies

Eva

Reply Fri 6 Dec, 2013 05:47 pm
@farmerman,
I know someone in Flagler Beach too, and I've been out to dinner with her, too.

Are we talking about the same person, by any chance?
roger

Reply Fri 6 Dec, 2013 05:59 pm
@Eva,
I bet you and I are. Don't know about them others.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 6 Dec, 2013 06:00 pm
@Mame,
I won't know what you are talking about till it drops to -40 when both systems read the same.
Ceili

Reply Fri 6 Dec, 2013 06:42 pm
@roger,
Roger, it's -35 here, wind chill is below -40.
In F or C it's stupid bloody cold.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 6 Dec, 2013 06:44 pm
@Ceili,
So how do you heat your place? None of my business, just nosy.
Ceili

Reply Fri 6 Dec, 2013 09:25 pm
@ossobuco,
Gas furnace.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 7 Dec, 2013 10:34 am
@Ceili,
Me too.
0 Replies

mckenzie

Reply Sat 7 Dec, 2013 04:23 pm
@Ceili,
It's too early in the season for it to be this cold. Technically, it's not even winter yet.