Which statistical analysis should I use?

dhy26

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2012 06:52 am
Hi,

I am a total dummy when it comes to stats, but am doing a research proposal (final year of BSc) and have to write up my methodology and data analysis. I'm thinking an ANOVA of some type, but am getting confused by all the types and how to apply them to my study. Here is the outline and if anyone can give any advice, it would be very much appreciated!!

My experiment is based on earphones, music and the effect of background noise. The study revolves round the recent EU regulations that all future personal media players (MP3 players, smartphones, etc) must be manufactured with a default limit of 85dB (which can be over-ridden by the user, in which case a warning would be displayed). Most research so far has investigated chosen volume levels by measuring the levels in the ear canal, but with a set level of background noise. I would like to assess different levels of background noise.

An MP3 player would have a set limit of 85dB (noise limiter adaptor used with earphones) and subjects would be placed in a calibrated sound-field, in which background noise would be presented through speakers. There would be 2 independent variables - earphone type (In-The-Canal and In-The-Concha [earbuds]) and environment noise level. The background noise level would start at 60dB and would be increased in 5dB steps. The subject would indicate when they would normally wish to increase their volume. This procedure would be carried out for both types of earphones for each subject. So I would end up with a mean background noise level for each type of earphones.

I'm not sure if I should have (or indeed CAN have) a control and I'm not sure which type of analysis I should use for this type of data.

I would be grateful of any advice!

Thanks

Donna
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,001 • Replies: 0
No top replies