Life sucks if you are a philosophy major!

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2012 08:33 pm
So, when you were young, you wanted to study philosophy. You majored in it. Why? it is very cool. It ask big questions. It is transcending. You get nice feelings. Very nice.

After college, no more philosophy lectures. You need to get a job, and earn your bread, and butter in life. You have minimum internships, because you were lazy. You go to indeed.com, type your area, and key in "philosophy", nothing shows up. What gives? Why can 't the darn job directory be more appreciative of Kant, and Wittgenstein.

Because of the darn job directory, you decide to be a lawyer, or a philosophy professor. The problem is, you screwed up your relationships with your professors when you were an undergrad, and your GPA is not high enough to get into a top law school.

What would you do?

By the way, It is not me. I am just asking it for a friend. I am a nice friend.

ehBeth

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2012 08:43 pm
@TuringEquivalent,
Can the person afford more education?
rosborne979

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2012 08:47 pm
@TuringEquivalent,
It's a good question. I honestly don't know what you can do to make money when the main tool in your box is philosophy. I suppose it borders on an "artistic" skill. Maybe you can convert it into some type of artistic endeavor, maybe an author or a reporter or something like that.
TuringEquivalent

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2012 08:49 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

Can the person afford more education?

You want him to talk more philosophy classes? What for?
TuringEquivalent

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2012 08:50 pm
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:

It's a good question. I honestly don't know what you can do to make money when the main tool in your box is philosophy. I suppose it borders on an "artistic" skill. Maybe you can convert it into some type of artistic endeavor, maybe an author or a reporter or something like that.

reporter? Do you need a journalist degree?
ehBeth

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2012 08:55 pm
@TuringEquivalent,
No.

Not more philosophy courses. Something practical. Have they done any aptitude testing? that's usually available free through alumni services.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2012 08:56 pm
@TuringEquivalent,
TuringEquivalent wrote:
reporter? Do you need a journalist degree?
I have no idea. You can probably freelance without a degree though.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2012 08:59 pm
@TuringEquivalent,
He'll need a doctorate, or at least an M.A., to make a living teaching philosophy, or literature, history, any of the humanities. But education in those areas is not just training for a job (although there's no denying the need for some kind of money making skills); education is to make your life--and you--more interesting, it's cultivation/preparation for a more exciting life. He should also learn some art, i.e., painting, poetry, music, etc..
The unlived life is not worth examining if you ask me.
Be a welder to make money but be sure to also use the skill for sculpting.
0 Replies

George

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2012 09:26 pm
I graduated with a degree in Scholastic Philosophy. I did not look for work
as a philosopher. I took what I could get, a bank teller, a customer service
rep. I got got some training in computer programming and made a career
out of that. Your friend's mileage may vary.
0 Replies