Test

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2004 01:49 pm
I'm going to take my written driving test in a few hours. Besides not peeing in line at the DMV does anyone have any suggestions?

I'm giving the driver handbook a read as we speak. I think the signs will be the hard part.

Most people tell me it's just "common sense" questions. Anything I should look out for?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,521 • Replies: 38
No top replies

mac11

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2004 01:52 pm
Well, it's been 25 years since I took it Shocked but I recall the test being incredibly easy.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2004 01:53 pm
Aren't you in California? If I remember right (it's been over a decade), you'll want to make note of stopping distances and DUI limits.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2004 01:59 pm
Do you mean:

"At 55 mph it takes about 400 feet to react to something you see and bring the car to a complete stop."

I gotta look up DUI limit. Someone else said that's where they fouled up.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2004 03:25 pm
That's exactly the sort of thing I'm talking about. It was on the test back when I took it. Washington's test has weird questions about bicycles, but I doubt you'll see that where you are.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2004 03:28 pm
And at a four way stop sign, the right away belongs to whoever is going the fastest? That kind of thing?
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2004 03:30 pm
Right of way goes to whichever driver is not insured.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2004 03:32 pm
Craven- Good Luck! Very Happy
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2004 04:09 pm
Did you see this site - with samples of the written test ?

Also, I remember one question I was asked and it stood out ..... what is aquaplaning?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2004 04:11 pm
I'm sure it's somewhat similar to hydroplaning.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2004 04:12 pm
Is that the question, or is that your question?

(In case of the latter, it's when there is standing water on the roadway and your tires skate across the top of it. Usually called hydroplaning. Happened to me once on Route 17 in California, before they built up the median divider. Scary stuff.)
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2004 04:20 pm
Yep, you're right p'dog.
Hydroplaning science - Hydroplaning is the result of your tires moving quickly across a wet surface - so fast that they do not have sufficient time to channel that moisture away from the center of the tire. The result is that the tire is lifted by the water away from the road, losing all traction.
I was asked this question about 8 years ago when I took my test and thankfully I had read the book cover to cover just before the test.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2004 05:45 pm
I suppose there's a time and a place for everything and it appears this was my time to fail a test for my first time ever.

Sucks that I had to be an idiot on the very test that happens to be the greatest pain in the ass to take and the only test I actually had to pay for but thems the cards. I brainfarted spectacularly.

<goes off to schedule a second appointment>
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2004 05:47 pm
Oh, and I reaffirm my pure hatred of the DMV. That place is the most uncomfortable place on earth (and I've taken the military entrace medical exams).
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2004 06:21 pm
Good luck Craven.
I can't help cause I live up here and the tests are different, I'm sure. All I can offer is my support, fingers crossed and all....
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2004 07:53 pm
I hated how specific those questions were.

"A truck is stopping in front of you, do you
a. Cover your brake pedal
b. Examine the situation and then cover your brake pedal
c. Cover your brake pedal and then examine the situation
d. It's sunday and I'm jewish, why am I driving?
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2004 11:42 pm
Crave
As long as you read the book a few times you'll do just fine. Most of the questions are obvious and it's all multiple choice questions. I think you're allowed to get like three wrong before they fail you. It's really easy and as smart as you are, you should breeze right through it.

Good luck ;-)
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2004 06:20 am
Craven--

Most DMV's make a point of flunking self-confident young men at least once, hoping to introduce the concepts of caution and modesty into their lives.

Hold your dominion.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2004 07:21 am
heehee - best question I was ever asked was what is the real maximum speed?

The speed of the vehicle in front of you....

bad luck Craven...
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2004 02:52 pm
Craven, with some of these people you really do gotta suck up to them. I know, I know, what a pain but it really does depend on the mood of the examiner. You can't be a smart alec with them, they don't have a sense of humor. Oh wait, was it just the written portion you failed? Or the driving bit?
0 Replies