Moveon.org's super bowl ad rejected by CBS

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2004 01:32 pm
Just read this in the news:

"CBS announced that it would not air the winner of the MoveOn.org Bush in 30 Seconds ad contest - a spot that's already aired repeatedly on other networks - citing the Eye's long-standing policy of not airing ads on "controversial issues of public importance." In response, the National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws encouraged the network to decline airing the ONDCP's anti-drug ads during the game. According to recent polls, 72% of Americans favor marijuana decriminalization, NORML's Kris Krane noted in a press release, so the ONDCP's one-sided ad must be considered an "issue ad" and subject to the network's policy. On Jan. 23, the DRCNet reported that after reviewing the issue, CBS has declared the ONDCP ads as "noncontroversial."

Any opinions?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,582 • Replies: 16
No top replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2004 01:41 pm
Dunno. Not sure who moveon hopes to reach during the Super Bowl. Would have to look into the laws governing broadcast advertising. If CBS is allowed to deny particular advertisers, that's their prerogative. For my part, I doubt I've watched anything on CBS for many, many months (seems to me to be the network that stokes the fires of fear in the geriatric set, but, again, I don't watch).

What I do know is that those ONDCP commercials crack me up.
0 Replies

BlueMonkey

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2004 11:32 am
They are allowed to deny just like advertisers do when they pull their ads because of a particular show.

CBS rocks. Survivor, Amazing Race, C.S.I., With Out a Trace. Top station.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2004 11:48 am
This says everything that needs saying:

Quote:

A Super Bowl Deficit
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2004 11:54 am
So, if you want to do more than just grumble at CBS' censorship:

Quote:
The CBS networks still refuses to run our winning ad in the Bush in 30 Seconds ad contest during the Super Bowl. The MoveOn.org non-partisan campaign to get CBS to air issue ads continues, but we're not going to let CBS's censorship stop us in the meantime. That's why we're spending over $1 million to air the ad in our swing states and nation-wide on other channels -- starting with two spots on CNN that will air during the Super Bowl half time.

This Sunday, during the Super Bowl half time show, join us in changing channels on CBS. At 8:10pm and 8:35pm EST, switch over to CNN to watch "Child's Pay" on a channel which doesn't censor its ads. We'd like to keep a tally of the number of people who participate -- you can sign up here: LINK

The number of groups, individuals, and newspapers that have called on CBS to run our ad is remarkable. The National Organization for Women and the American Civil Liberties Union have asked their own members to call CBS. Senator Dick Durbin (D-IL) gave a powerful speech about CBS on the floor of the Senate, saying, "Maybe network executives at CBS are so afraid of political pressure from the right wing and their business advertisers who are in league with the right wing politics of America that they are afraid to put anything on the air that might in fact make things uncomfortable. If that is the case, it is time for CBS to announce the name of their network is the 'Conservative Broadcasting System' and come clean with American viewers."

28 members of the House of Representatives wrote a letter to CBS which stated, "The choice not to run this paid advertisement appears to be part of a disturbing pattern on CBS's part to bow to the wishes of the Republican National Committee. We remember well CBS's remarkable decision this fall to self-censor at the direction of GOP pressure. The network shamefully cancelled a broadcast about former President Ronald Reagan which Republican partisans considered insufficiently flattering." Senator Ron Wyden (D-OR) wrote a separate letter to CBS urging them to reconsider their decision.

Today, the L.A. Times printed an Op-Ed piece of ours which lays out the case against CBS's censorship. That's attached below. But the editorial pages of the Boston Globe, San Francisco Chronicle, and many other papers came out in our favor as well. As the Globe wrote, "MoveOn.org's 30-second ad, which has aired on CNN, is a gentle yet powerful depiction of how hard today's children will have to work to pay off the country's mounting deficit. That's a vital message that might get lost in a year of campaign rhetoric, and it deserves a response from the White House in its own 30 seconds of imagery. America, sitting on the couch, junk food in hand, just might sit up and want to know more."

Luckily, there are still some networks that do allow the free exchange of ideas. Please join the one-minute boycott: at Super Bowl halftime, switch to CNN and watch "Child's Pay," and let us know at this link.
0 Replies

BlueMonkey

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2004 12:02 pm
It is their TV telecast - if they don't want to show a commercial so what? It is theirs to decided. Anti anything is too negative and boring. commercials on Super Bowl Sunday are not ssupposeto be those thought provoking crap. Come on. People want to be entertained and forget about what is going on in the world around them not be reminded how ccrappyit is to live with the problems that face others. Selfish? Yes. But it is the truth. Here is a day that is to be fun and they want to run Anti-anything commercials? What? Fun does not - in no way unless you are the mean evil person - equal Anti.

Here: A funny commercial with Cows promoting Chicken for Chick-Fa-Lea(sp?) then we have an anti-abortion commercial. Does that sound like something you wanna see after laughing? They need to stop thinking that have to shove thinking crap down everyone's throat. Do it at appropriate times. The Super Bowl is not the appropriate time I don't care how many people are watching. Don't ruin the fun.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2004 12:11 pm
The ad will get more publicity -- and have a greater impact because of what CBS did -- than if CBS had run the thing.

Fact is, it will get a LOT more publicity and have a MUCH GREATER impact because of all this!

Always look at the silver lining.
0 Replies

BlueMonkey

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2004 12:21 pm
I understand how many people would see it but there is a mood to keep and Super Bowl is FUN not depressing.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Sun 1 Feb, 2004 10:09 am
CBS claims it blocked the MoveOn.org ad from the Super Bowl because they have a policy against running advocacy ads.

That was the claim. The reality, as is usual in these cases, is much different, as noted by the Center for American Progress:

Quote:
Pfeizer
Last Sunday on CBS's Face the Nation Pfizer was permitted to run an ad in which they declared "Pfizer is helping people in need get the medicines they need." The statement came just weeks after Pfizer successfully lobbied to weaken the new Medicare bill so that it does not significantly lower drug prices [...]

WalMart
Wal-Mart regularly airs ads on CBS touting itself as a good corporate citizen. Yet, Wal-Mart's corporate conduct is undoubtedly a "controversial public policy issue." In the last two years Wal-Mart's behavior has been front page news in the New York Times on three separate occasions [...]

Phillip Morris
During the Super Bowl, CBS will air an "anti-smoking" ad by cigarette manufacturer Philip Morris USA. These ads encourage citizens to go to www.phillipmorrisusa.com for information about smoking. But on that site Philip Morris advances a number of extraordinarily controversial policy positions on smoking related issues [...]

There is no doubt CBS' decision was made on political grounds, not because of a policy avoiding ads regarding "controversial public policy issues".

Frank is correct; the issue has legs because of CBS' obstinance. In the meantime switch over to CNN during halftime to see the ad (about 8:10 and 8:35).

It'll be fun. :wink:
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2004 03:39 pm
http://www.allhatnocattle.net/ps969.jpg
0 Replies

BlueMonkey

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2004 04:22 pm
so how many people switched over to see that commercial? Out of the 100 million that watched the super bowl?
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2004 04:33 pm
Embarrassed
0 Replies

kickycan

Embarrassed
0 Replies

kickycan

Not many I bet. I didn't.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2004 04:38 pm
38.715 million.

(Sounds good, don't it? Just made it up right now...)
0 Replies

BlueMonkey

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2004 04:49 pm
does sound good. Good made up number.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2004 10:35 pm
Yes, I concur. That is truly an excellent made up number.
0 Replies