Can you doubt everything?

Reply Mon 26 Dec, 2011 04:03 am
If you're a radical skeptic can you doubt even doubt itself?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 7 • Views: 3,133 • Replies: 33

laughoutlood

Reply Mon 26 Dec, 2011 06:00 am
@curiousjo,
i doubt it
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 26 Dec, 2011 06:02 am
hehehehehe . . .
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Mon 26 Dec, 2011 10:06 am
@curiousjo,
Of course...I think.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Mon 26 Dec, 2011 10:06 am
@curiousjo,
Of course...I think.
curiousjo

Reply Mon 26 Dec, 2011 10:48 am
@JLNobody,
Please explain how you can doubt doubting? I keep seeing people who claim they can do this but have yet to explain exactly how.
G H

Reply Mon 26 Dec, 2011 11:46 am
@curiousjo,
Quote:
can you doubt even doubt itself?

To doubt "doubt" requires doubt.

Similar situation of an eliminative materialist using language/concepts born from folk psychology to express a denial of folk psychology. This person is forced to appeal to another framework in the future not grounded in folk psychology, that he/she could use to express what is meant, if it was available now. Which in turn may currently stimulate "doubt" in others -- they may consider the eliminative materialist to be hand-waving at something actually nebulous, making claims from the sphincter.
curiousjo

Reply Mon 26 Dec, 2011 01:20 pm
@G H,
"To doubt "doubt" requires doubt.".....yes it does require doubt to doubt something. What was your point? and the next thing about the language of an elimanitive materialist I did'nt quite get, sorry. Was it so say you require the right language to express sureness of something?
JLNobody

Reply Mon 26 Dec, 2011 01:50 pm
@curiousjo,
Did I say that? How absurd of me.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Mon 26 Dec, 2011 01:50 pm
@curiousjo,
Did I say that? How absurd of me.
curiousjo

Reply Mon 26 Dec, 2011 02:18 pm
@JLNobody,
Maybe to be absurd was your point? I think radical skeptism argues and questions until the point of being absurd. Although they would also question what it was to be absurd. Yet I still really want to understand how true skeptics can question doubt. I want to hear why and how and what points they would make in doubting doubt and to know why they can't see it is an obvious paradox. I can't seem to find an answer anywhere which is weird because I thought philosophers are supposed to be able to talk about what they're argueing in the form of well written, puncuated, long walls of text.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Mon 26 Dec, 2011 03:27 pm
@curiousjo,
I was going to answer your post with some wise stuff but changed my mind. After all, everything I post is an outright lie. Including this post.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Mon 26 Dec, 2011 04:47 pm
@curiousjo,
Absurdity is a fundamental characteristic of reality. I suspect that modern physics is leading us to this fact, as are eastern forms of mysticism. Much of western culture is an on-going attempt to deny this, as seen in our tendency to recoil from nihilism, paradox and chaos as expressions of the "dark side" of our dualistic reality.
JLNobody

Reply Mon 26 Dec, 2011 04:47 pm
@curiousjo,
Absurdity is a fundamental characteristic of reality. I suspect that modern physics is leading us to this fact, as are eastern forms of mysticism. Much of western culture is an on-going attempt to deny this, as seen in our tendency to recoil from nihilism, paradox and chaos as expressions of the "dark side" of our dualistic reality.
How absurd.
laughoutlood

Reply Mon 26 Dec, 2011 07:56 pm
@JLNobody,
no doubt
0 Replies

G H

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2011 12:47 am
@curiousjo,
Quote:
"To doubt "doubt" requires doubt.".....yes it does require doubt to doubt something. What was your point?

Uh... that was the point. Recall that I was responding to "can you doubt even doubt itself?". The question is employing or indicating dependence on the very thing it is inquiring as to whether or not it (or we) can do without, thus making the question moot or irrelevant. A bit like asking if you can run up the hill without a run up the hill. Or flipped on its head: A bit like asking if one can ride a horse while one is riding a horse.

Quote:
and the next thing about the language of an elimanitive materialist I did'nt quite get, sorry. Was it so say you require the right language to express sureness of something?

Sorry, it was a needless add-on. Just a round-a-about way of leaving the door slightly open to the possibility that maybe "doubt" could be replaced by an alternative conception belonging to a different framework in the future, which could disentangle it from the circle of To doubt "doubt" requires doubt. While at the same time I was deprecating such a tad. That is, it's not even a possibility I'm optimistic about, was just donning devil's advocate garb for a moment.
curiousjo

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2011 03:45 am
@G H,
"The question is employing or indicating dependence on the very thing it is inquiring as to whether or not it (or we) can do without, thus making the question moot or irrelevant."

Your response to this confused me. I didn't ask whether it was something we can do without. The question was simple, it was about if skeptism can have it's limits because to me doubting doubt is psychologically impossible

Doubt is an affirmative position one where you can't make up your mind about something. You can question it's characteristics but it is what it is. It's something you can become aware of and to doubt that you are feeling doubt is pointless because it doesn't make sense. I still don't understand how anyone can do it and I'm starting to think they can't.
curiousjo

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2011 03:52 am
@JLNobody,
I didn't know about absurdism until I just googled it. From what I read absurdism in a nutshell is about how it is impossible for humans to find meaning in life. Am I right? I'm not sure if I'm understanding it correctly.
JLNobody

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2011 10:42 am
@curiousjo,
We don't FIND meaning in life; we CREATE and ASCRIBE meaning to life. Remember the existentialist principle "existence precedes essence."
I guess one can say that we do find meaning in life to the extent that we find meanings others have created, but life does not create its own meaning.
Anomie

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2011 11:24 am
@curiousjo,
Your arguement is of doubt, yet it appears to refuted by the proposition itself.

Also, can axioms, such as a tuatology of identity be doubted?