I just don’t understand drinking and driving

firefly

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2012 12:33 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
Common sense...if you look at where Thom started and where he contacted Barry on a map the most reasonable route has him making a right hand turn immediately before impact

Oh please, that's nothing but your bullshit. You are making this stuff up. That doesn't jive with the police statement.

And even drivers who turn corners are responsible for seeing what's in front of them, and not hitting it.

hawkeye10

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2012 12:36 am
@firefly,
Quote:
That doesn't jive with the police statement.

the police statement says nothing about why Thom was traveling this direction on this street that night, but it was odd so I looked at a map to try to find out why.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2012 12:47 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
lights and reflectors have been proven to work to aid in nighttime visibility, let then start there shall we......

An what about the fog that has been reported on this night? Has this been established? Do yo care if it was present?

More bullshit.

Lights and reflectors on bikes are no protection from inattentive drunk drivers who can't even notice you until you land on their windshield, and, even then, they just keep on driving.

And, if it was too foggy to see well, Swift should have been crawling along, at a snail's pace, so he could avoid hitting anything that suddenly appeared in his headlights. Drivers are supposed to adjust their speed for weather and visibility conditions. If you can't see more than 10 feet in front of you, you have to be able to stop your car in under 10 feet, and you adjust your speed accordingly.

Everything you come up with is pure bullshit.

hawkeye10

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2012 12:51 am
@firefly,
Quote:
And, if it was too foggy to see well, Swift should have been crawling along, at a snail's pace, so he could avoid hitting anything that suddenly appeared in his headlights. Drivers are supposed to adjust their speed for weather and visibility conditions. If you can't see more than 10 feet in front of you, you have to be able to stop your car in under 10 feet, and you adjust your speed accordingly

Again I catch you living in the idealistic fantasyland of the law rather than in the real world of humans and actual human behavior. It is the law that must adjust to humans, not the other way around.
firefly

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2012 01:40 am
@hawkeye10,
What fantasy world do you live in?

Drivers are supposed to adjust their speed for weather and visibility conditions. You are supposed to have your car under control at all times. Your stopping distance can't exceed your line of sight, and speed must be adjusted accordingly. And you need to keep a certain distance from other vehicles ahead of you, be they cars or bikes, so you can stop without hitting them if need be, and speed must be adjusted accordingly.

That has nothing to do with the law--it's common sense if you want to avoid running into another car, or a bike. And that's how I drive. It's the way I've been driving since I was 16. So some real humans actually drive responsibly.

Swift just found out a car is a lethal weapon--it's got to be operated with care, in a responsible manner. And you really can't do that when you're drunk. He just found that out too.

BillRM

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2012 08:47 am
@firefly,
Quote:
And you really can't do that when you're drunk. He just found that out too.

"Drunk" or not accidents happen with very special note to cyclists who do not obey Florida law and have lights on their bikes after dark.

So far there been no showing that the accident in question would not had likely to had happen if the driver has a BAC of 0.o and driving in a normally caution manner.

Before someone can be found guilt of manslaughter such a showing would be nice not just the driver BAC levels.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2012 08:59 am
@BillRM,
I agree. As of now,
we have no way of knowing, nor of even suspecting,
whether a fully sober driver 'd have found Barry visible or not.
We do not presently have any way of knowing the movements
of Barry 's vehicle b4 the alleged impact.

David
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2012 09:10 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Quote:
People shouldn't drink and drive. Then they won't have these sorts of problems with the law.

I am well aware of the "might makes right" argument. I am also rarely persuaded by it.

nothing to do with 'might makes right'

it's called common sense
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2012 09:23 am
@ehBeth,

Quote:
People shouldn't drink and drive. Then they won't have these sorts of problems with the law.
hawkeye10 wrote:
I am well aware of the "might makes right" argument. I am also rarely persuaded by it.
ehBeth wrote:
nothing to do with 'might makes right'

it's called common sense
How COMMON is it, Beth????
Will u agree that different parts of the populace
see things very DIFFERENTLY??

David
izzythepush

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2012 09:27 am
@OmSigDAVID,
And a lot of them are now either encarcerated or awaiting trial for drunk driving.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2012 09:40 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
And a lot of them are now either encarcerated or awaiting trial for drunk driving.
Well, obviously, that depends on how u define "a lot".
Note that political elections ofen yield results that
large parts of the (losing) population find to be incomprehensible;
i.e., thay deem to be inconsistent with "common sense".

David
izzythepush

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2012 10:38 am
@OmSigDAVID,
There's a difference between keeping your nose clean and losing an argument.
Adam4Adam

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2012 12:32 pm
@hawkeye10,
I don't understand why you think Thom is being unfairly treated by law enforcement? He drove drunk which resulted in someones death! That's a fact!
DrewDad

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2012 01:06 pm
@Adam4Adam,
...allegedly.
BillRM

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2012 01:12 pm
@Adam4Adam,
Quote:
He drove drunk which resulted in someones death! That's a fact!

1)He drove with a BAC over .08...ok we will assume that is correct

Someone was kill in a accident during him driving with a BAC =<.08 ok.

However the question is still open did his condition have any major part of the accident occurring or not?

Was the situation such that any driver driving down that street even a driver with a BAC of zero had likely been in a accident with that cyclist or not?
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2012 01:32 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
There's a difference between keeping your nose clean and losing an argument.
Yes. I 'd never deny that,
but I get the sense that u r endeavoring to make a point, relating this truth to something else.

I have lost track of your train of thought.

Will u set forth your point again ?

David
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2012 01:38 pm
@BillRM,
Quote:
He drove drunk which resulted in someones death! That's a fact!
BillRM wrote:

1)He drove with a BAC over .08...ok we will assume that is correct

Someone was kill in a accident during him driving with a BAC =<.08 ok.

However the question is still open did his condition have any major part of the accident occurring or not?

Was the situation such that any driver driving down that street even a driver with a BAC of zero
had likely been in a accident with that cyclist or not?
Earlier in this thread, someone set forth a case of drunken driving homicide
(I think it was also in Florida) wherein it was established that
decedent was not visible and defendant was convicted ONLY
of drunken driving, not of harming anyone.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2012 01:41 pm
@DrewDad,
I like your signature line:

"Signature
Adults are just kids with tons of experience"

I feel like the same kid inside that I always was.

David
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2012 01:45 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
You likened common sense to losing an election, as opposed to behaving in a reckless and dangerous manner that can result in fatalities and imprisonment. I'm saying that common sense is the latter, keeping your nose clean, losing an election has nothing to do with common sense, you're just losing the argument.

Isn't every election just a big public argument?

P. S. The phrase 'you're just losing the argument,' isn't directed at you.

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2012 01:46 pm
@Adam4Adam,
I wish we KNEW whether Barry Lancaster WANTED to be avenged or not.

That coud be either way; we just don't know.

David
0 Replies