I just don’t understand drinking and driving

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2012 01:43 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:
My crystal ball is years of cycling many thousands of miles after dark and knowing that any bike that is not lit up can not be seen until you are on top of it and if you are in a car traveling at normal speeds even for local roads/streets there is little time to react to the present of such a dark bike.

I had cycle those years in one of the worst city in the US as far as it record for cyclists fatalities.

You could in fact not pay me enough to be on a road after dark without being lit up very brightly with two LEDS flashers and a strobe light on the back of the bike and yet the majority of other night cyclists I had come across are not lit up in any manner.

Even from another bike you can not see them beyond a very short distance indeed.
THANK U Bill.
I deem your contribution to be very valuable indeed.
If Barry had been more acutely conscious of this,
then even if Tom had drunk gallons of additional alcohol (if that were possible)
it is likely that he 'd have seen and avoided contact with Barry's bike.

We can all pass your advice along to anyone we know who intends to ride a bike at nite.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2012 01:51 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
Dave may quite rightly point out I'm making assumptions,
but you twist everything to put the drunk driver in the best possible light.
I look at it this way:
we r all just observers, discussing the alleged facts.
Y not be kind & generous in our application of the presumption of innocence ?

David
FOUND SOUL

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2012 01:53 pm
@BillRM,
Quote:
A non-lit bike at night is an accident waiting to happen.

I can't disagree with that.

If I recall though, there has been no notation of whether Barry had any bike lights or not, I think, there was assumption as he was homeless he didn't.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2012 01:55 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
If you look at the facts, what there are of them, it needs a lot of generosity. He was driving drunk, he fled the scene of an accident, he has previous convictions for drunk driving.

I think a presumption of innocence on the part of a commentator lacks credibility.

Bloody hell Dave, this is just a thread, and you've got me taking extra care with my phrasing as if I was up before the beak myself.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2012 02:22 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
Bloody hell Dave, this is just a thread, and you've got me taking extra care with my phrasing
as if I was up before the beak myself.
My NATURE is emerging, in public.

David
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2012 02:22 pm
@FOUND SOUL,
Quote:
If I recall though, there has been no notation of whether Barry had any bike lights or not, I think, there was assumption as he was homeless he didn't.

Once more from my night cycling to work over a distant of 17 miles a few times a week that I used to do, most of the people using bikes in the early AM that I pass by was not lit up in fact the vast majority was not lit up and some was even wearing dark clothing on top of that!!!!!

If one out of 15 or so had any lights I would had been surprise.

I had even once stopped at the local police station near where the bulk of such cyclists was using the roadway and suggested to the cops that it might be a good idea to stop such cyclists and warn them to get some LED lights.

I even ofter to give them 10 such lights to be given out however they did not seem interested in the problem at the time.

So yes we do not know for sure if the cyclist had lights on but the odds are that he did not have them.
FOUND SOUL

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2012 02:26 pm
@BillRM,
Maybe the last, definately the first, from me, to you.... that was a great humane thing to do.

I think it's manditory here in Australia.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2012 02:34 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:
Once more from my night cycling to work over a distance of 17 miles
a few times a week that I used to do . . .
That 's quite an effort by bike, Bill.

For quite a few years, when I was in practice as a trial lawyer,
I had an office 17 miles from my house. It took me about half an hour to drive there.

David
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2012 03:42 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
No, I asserted that my preceding sentence could be described as being full of homosexual innuendo,
if someone was looking for that sort of thing. I only noticed it myself once I'd written it,
so in the interests of levity I thought I'd point it out before someone else did.
O! I was confused & perplexed by your statements.
I thawt that perhaps I had gotten u mad by saying something
about this collision with which u disagreed and that u were penalizing me
by attributing homosexual commentary to me, to embarrass me.
I am pleased to see that u r innocent of that.
It did not occur to me that u were referring to your own statement.

I must say that it was an INTERESTING post.
izzythepush wrote:
[1.] I always find a good approach to take with Dave is 'I'm sorry I can't be arsed.'

[2.] He usually chalks it up to tacit acceptance of his hedonistic lifestyle, and goes down the shooting range to go blasting.

[3.] He seems happy, although on reflection, that last sentence does seem full of homosexual innuendo.
From your first sentence: I must respectfully dissent.
I have found u to be better than a polite gentleman in social discourse,
being affirmatively congenial, articulate, engaging, convivial, and a hedonic delight
with whom to converse. An Izzy who dismissively declares that he can't be bothered
to explain what he means is alien to my cognition; the Izzy I know is proud of his beliefs
and wants them to be understood. He does not hide them.

Addressing your second sentence,
I wonder whether there is an issue concerning acceptance
of my hedonistic lifestyle! ? and by whom

Addressing your third sentence,
I am an optimist, by nature.
I have had a happy life; it has been FUN.

David
Mattingly

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2012 04:06 pm
What Thom did was a horrible thing but I don't hate the man, he actually is a nice guy.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2012 04:07 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Thanks Dave, but sometimes I'm just too knackered. On another thread someone said, incorrectly as it turns out, that they had spent 2 hours going over posts in order to prove another poster wrong. I couldn't be doing with that. I could be in Bristol by then.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2012 04:28 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
Thanks Dave, but sometimes I'm just too knackered.
On the chance that that means tired,
u can just rest for a while. I do that; sometimes even for a few days.

izzythepush wrote:
On another thread someone said, incorrectly as it turns out, that they had spent 2 hours going over posts in order to prove another poster wrong.
I couldn't be doing with that.

I could be in Bristol by then.
Is that good??
FOUND SOUL

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2012 04:29 pm
@Mattingly,
Hate is a strong word, one I refuse to use, it's a waste of energy.

I think "murderers" that intentionally set out to do so, sometimes can also be "nice guys" buttons pushed just too far.

Serial Killers, yeah na. Definately not nice guys.

I don't think anyone believes that Thom outside of this situation may not be a great person, has helped others, or even has been a great friend.

But, at some point a man has to grow up and learn responsibilities.

He had his warning a year ago being pulled up for DUI... He chose to continue to be irresponsible, to ignore the law and do what he wanted to do, it stands to reason that sometimes that luck runs out if you are a risk taker and unfortnately his risk this time landed him where it was always going to land him, again breaking the law, only this time, someone died and there is no escaping it.

I can almost see him saying "stupid, stupid, stupid"... But, it's too late.

izzythepush

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2012 04:37 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
I don't know if it would be good, but it would be more productive.
0 Replies

Mattingly

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2012 04:42 pm
@FOUND SOUL,
Yes it is a strong word and I don't hate the man, I don't like what he's done. I have read most of this thread and those that know him are correct, he leaves the bar quite a few times and always gets in his car and drives.

Its still sad he has ruined his life over drinking and driving.
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2012 04:45 pm
If Thom had a DUI two years ago that changes nothing re my complaints.....the law must act justly, and has not here.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2012 06:24 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
David the cycle trip not pushing it at all told roughly an hour and a half and with the traffic and the traffic lights it told 40 minutes by van so time wise it was not all that must greater then driving and I got to work fully awake and feeling very alive when I cycle in.

I also greatly enjoyed the feeling that I was the only one awake in a sleeping world that I got when cycling in the pre-dawn hours.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2012 06:44 pm
@FOUND SOUL,
Quote:
Maybe the last, definately the first, from me, to you.... that was a great humane thing to do.

I think it's manditory here in Australia

Thanks.......

An it is manditory in the state of Florida to have lights on a bike when ridden at night however the police sadly seems to feel that they had more important things to do then to enforce that part of the traffic laws.
0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)
Wildhourses

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2012 07:53 pm
@TPA,
Screw you! Whimsy little bitch! Next time give the drunk a ride home!