I just don’t understand drinking and driving

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2012 12:35 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
is anyone at all interested in the guy who died and what his rights might have been?

There is not much to talk about, his fate is sealed. I would like to know however is the state was negligent by allowing a known menace to society to roll around the streets at night with an unsafe bicycle, if he was not properly sanctioned for an unnecessary introduction of risk on account of pity for his position in society.
JTT

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2012 12:42 pm
@ehBeth,
You likely missed this, Beth. You wrote,

Quote:
Once someone's stupidity affects someone else's health or life, I pretty much lose even that degree of sympathy.

And I asked,

Might that reasoning extend to those who provided material support for the war criminals, took active part in the war crimes against the people of SE Asia during the 1960s and on, Beth?

Of course, you could expand on your ideas to include Iraq and Afghanistan. That is, if you were of a mind to address the stunning disparity in these almost religious displays of "morality".
Rockhead

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2012 12:43 pm
what a turd wallow this has become...
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2012 12:50 pm
@JTT,
And this has precisely what to do with drunk driving in general and the case that was being discussed specifically?
ehBeth

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2012 12:53 pm
@JTT,
and that has exactly what to do with a dead bicyclist?
JTT

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2012 12:59 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
I've explained already, a number of times, Merry and you understand fully the connection.

Tell me why, Merry, you think people can work themselves into a morality tizzy over one person when there have been hundreds of thousands murdered by those same "Once someone's stupidity affects someone else's health or life, I pretty much lose even that degree of sympathy" and any discussion of that is met by silence or even worse, and you're certainly guilty of this, attempts to distract from dealing with those issues.
JTT

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2012 01:01 pm
@ehBeth,
I just wonder, Beth, if this loss of respect for those that so carelessly take life from others extends equally across the board.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2012 01:03 pm
@JTT,
If you don't understand the difference between discussing one's concern about a specific incident and that of getting into a political diatribe over mega-deaths, you really are totally out of touch with the real world, aren't you, JTT?
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2012 01:09 pm
@JTT,
Quote:
Tell me why, Merry, you think people can work themselves into a morality tizzy over one person when there have been hundreds of thousands murdered by those same

The answer: Keep it Simple, Stupid....whining over the death of a guy who was almost certainly a fool and almost certainly useless to the collective is in our simple mind wheel-house, what you want to talk about is not.
JTT

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2012 01:09 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
So explain it to me, Merry. Explain the religious fervor that this has brought out in some and compare it to the "Meh" that meets a discussion of the "mega-deaths".

0 Replies

firefly

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2012 01:45 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
I would like to know however is the state was negligent by allowing a known menace to society to roll around the streets at night with an unsafe bicycle

Are you delusional? Do you now believe your own fantasies about the cyclist being "a known menace to society"? You don't know he was on "an unsafe bicycle". You know nothing about the man, other than his age, and the police statement that they thought he was homeless.
Quote:
whining over the death of a guy who was almost certainly a fool and almost certainly useless to the collective...

More delusional thinking since you have no idea whether or not the man on the bike was a fool, but you do know that the man behind the wheel of the car that hit him was definitely a fool, a fool who believed he could beat the odds, and risks, of driving drunk.

As to the biker being "useless to the collective"--that's your elitist view. He might have been gainfully employed for all you know, or even a combat veteran, many of whom are also homeless, which would have made him a lot more useful to "the collective" than you have been for the past decade.

JTT

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2012 01:46 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
The answer: Keep it Simple, Stupid....whining over the death of a guy who was almost certainly a fool and almost certainly useless to the collective is in our simple mind wheel-house, what you want to talk about is not.

Given Hawkeye's quick and accurate and honest appraisal of the situation, the morality crowd, the ones who are always ragging on him, might just want to consider getting a checkup on their own moral compass.

Or Plan B - go to the troll dog and pony routine next.
Rockhead

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2012 01:47 pm
@JTT,
so you view the homeless as a worthless drain on society, JTT?

a scourge, if you will...
JTT

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2012 01:51 pm
@firefly,
Quote:
Are you delusional? Do you now believe your own fantasies about the cyclist being "a known menace to society"? You don't know he was on "an unsafe bicycle". You know nothing about the man, other than his age, and the police statement that they thought he was homeless.

Here's one of the head cheerleaders of that morality squad now. Hi, Firefly. How's tricks?

Aren't Hawk's suggestions the very essence of what any number of defence lawyers come up with on a daily basis?

The real question is, how do you keep your halo so straight?
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2012 01:52 pm
@firefly,
Quote:
As to the biker being "useless to the collective"--that's your elitist view. He might have been gainfully employed for all you know, or even a combat veteran, many of whom are also homeless, which would have made him a lot more useful to "the collective" than you have been for the past decade.

We dont know about the dead guy for sure because no one is talking. There is an information black out. In this case we can only go by what was most likely his situation. If anyone objects to this then they can feel free to inject the facts into the conversation. The current lack of facts is offensive.
JTT

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2012 01:52 pm
@Rockhead,
Quote:

a scourge, if you will...

Not even remotely close to the truth, Rocky. Universes away, actually.
Rockhead

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2012 01:53 pm
@JTT,
that is exactly the position you've put yourself in, championing the hawk-turd...
firefly

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2012 01:53 pm
@jcboy,
Quote:
They can’t actually tell how much he drank by his bar tab but that's what they were after.

It's occurred to me that if there are security cameras either inside Alibi or out on the street, the police might view those for evidence. In addition to witness statements about who was served what, or who was drinking what, it is possible that Thom might have been captured on video actually downing the drinks. It is also possible that a security camera on the street might have captured him getting into his car.

0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2012 01:57 pm
@Rockhead,
Quote:

Both that he was homeless and that he was riding the streets at night rather than being in one of the shelters that the city has provided for the homeless is a very good indication that this guy was one of the hard core homeless, those who are homeless because they want to be. These guys I have no sympathy for, I come from Zen where we say "no work, no eat"....if you are not interested in contributing to the collective then I am not interested in being concerned about your welfare. Each man gets to decide for himself which way he rolls.
Rockhead

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2012 01:58 pm
@hawkeye10,
you wouldn't know zen if someone **** it in hour hand...
0 Replies