I just don’t understand drinking and driving

ehBeth

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2012 07:36 am
@BillRM,
You still don't understand the difference between charged and convicted, or are pretending you don't. For your family's sake, I hope it is the latter.
BillRM

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2012 07:57 am
@ehBeth,
Quote:
You still don't understand the difference between charged and convicted, or are pretending you don't. For your family's sake, I hope it is the latter.

My my woman with cat eyes, charges are not suppose to be file unless there is a solid chance that someone is guilty and before that can be the case a full investigation should occur.

There seems in the case we are talking about just an automatic charging in fact an overcharging to force him to plead bargain.

In fact the pressures are so great to plead out that nine out of ten defenders never get convicted by a jury of their peers so being charge and sentence is all too must the same thing for most people in our so call justice system.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2012 08:48 am
@BillRM,
Interesting how silent you've become on why you think it's 'fair and rational,' for the state to execute a man before examining DNA evidence that could exonerate him.
DrewDad

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2012 08:56 am
@BillRM,
Imma start calling BillRM "loopy."

Not because he's crazy, but because his arguments play on an endless loop.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2012 09:20 am
@DrewDad,
Exactly, and he conveniently ignores those instances where he contradicts himself.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2012 10:15 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
Interesting how silent you've become on why you think it's 'fair and rational,'
for the state to execute a man before examining DNA evidence that could exonerate him.
Let the record indicate that I oppose that.
It shud be legally required that such evidence be examined b4 ANY
punitive sentence be executed upon a prisoner.

David
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2012 10:26 am
@ehBeth,
BillRM wrote:
Quote:
About 50% of motorists speeding, drunk, or inattentive.

I read it and did you read that all of the adults kill was cycling at night without the proper lights.
ehBeth wrote:
the status of the cyclist has NOTHING to do with the charges against the driver -
it may have an impact on the outcome of a civil suit but that is an entirely different matter
In your opinion, if a drunken bicyclist
crosses double yellow lines and veers into a fatal head-on collision
with a motorist, the latter shud be criminally prosecuted ?
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2012 10:31 am
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:
Imma start calling BillRM "loopy."

Not because he's crazy, but because his arguments play on an endless loop.
Its shorter to call him Bill.

David
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2012 11:00 am
@BillRM,
Quote:
In other word if you are driving DUI and your brake fail and no one no matter what his condition happen to be could had done anything to prevent the accident you would not be guilty of dui manslaughter.

Idiot, you are responsible for the car you are driving if you are the registered owner. If your brakes fail, you are responsible for driving a car with lousy brakes, for failing to properly maintain your car, so charges would still be justified. And you'd still be driving DUI.
Quote:
This been posted before however take note of the word cause is connect with an neligence element

In that particular case, a special jury instruction had been requested but not given. That's why the new trial was ordered.

You don't understand the laws, you don't understand the case law you're posting--you are way out of your depth on this topic.

And you fail to read, or understand, what has been posted regarding Florida law--you just go on repeating the same inaccurate crap over and over and over.
Quote:
Florida has a "per se" DUI law. This means that once a BAC level of .08 or higher is established, the prosecution does not have to additionally prove impaired driving. The fact that a person was driving with a BAC of .08% or higher is enough. http://www.duiattorney.com/florida/fl-dui-charges

All the state of Florida has to do is show that the driver was DUI when operating the motor vehicle that ran into and killed the cyclist to justify a DUI manslaughter charge. No other negligence or impaired driving has to be shown. Drunken driving is reckless driving--that's why it's illegal.

If you can't understand the laws, stop trying to discuss and criticize them, you are making yourself look foolish.

Now that you've told us you were involved in a collision with a cyclist, a motorcyclist, your contorted reasoning to try to exonorate Swift makes sense--you're trying to justify/rationalize your own past driving accidents.

All you do is present ideas on how to weasel out of situations you shouldn't have gotten yourself into in the first place--like driving DUI. It's like a primer on how to avoid taking personal responsibility.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2012 11:30 am
@OmSigDAVID,
I think most people do, but not Bill. He was backed into the corner on another thread, and the simple truth he would rather see a man be killed than proven wrong.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2012 11:31 am
@firefly,
firefly wrote:
All you do is present ideas on how to weasel out of situations you shouldn't have gotten yourself into in the first place--like driving DUI. It's like a primer on how to avoid taking personal responsibility.

That's Bill to a T.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2012 11:37 am
@firefly,
firefly wrote:

Quote:
In other word if you are driving DUI and your brake fail and no one no matter what his condition happen to be could had done anything to prevent the accident you would not be guilty of dui manslaughter.

Idiot, you are responsible for the car you are driving if you are the registered owner. If your brakes fail, you are responsible for driving a car with lousy brakes, for failing to properly maintain your car, so charges would still be justified. And you'd still be driving DUI.
Quote:
This been posted before however take note of the word cause is connect with an neligence element

In that particular case, a special jury instruction had been requested but not given. That's why the new trial was ordered.

You don't understand the laws, you don't understand the case law you're posting--you are way out of your depth on this topic.

And you fail to read, or understand, what has been posted regarding Florida law--you just go on repeating the same inaccurate crap over and over and over.
Quote:
Florida has a "per se" DUI law. This means that once a BAC level of .08 or higher is established, the prosecution does not have to additionally prove impaired driving. The fact that a person was driving with a BAC of .08% or higher is enough. http://www.duiattorney.com/florida/fl-dui-charges

All the state of Florida has to do is show that the driver was DUI when operating the motor vehicle that ran into and killed the cyclist to justify a DUI manslaughter charge. No other negligence or impaired driving has to be shown. Drunken driving is reckless driving--that's why it's illegal.
If you can't understand the laws, stop trying to discuss and criticize them, you are making yourself look foolish.

Now that you've told us you were involved in a collision with a cyclist, a motorcyclist, your contorted reasoning to try to exonorate Swift makes sense--you're trying to justify/rationalize your own past driving accidents.

I 've never been admitted to practice in Florida,
and I don 't pretend to be familiar with Florida 's substantive nor procedural law,
but I don 't think its very likely that a D.A. can get a homicide conviction
based only on a high (e.g., .3) BAC and a death certificate.

I imagine that the D.A. still must prove negligence in the management
of defendant 's vehicle. The defendant has a Constitutional Right to a fair trial.
It is conceivable that while stopped in traffic, or while waiting motionless for a red light,
a drunken driver can be struck by a bicyclist (sober or not),
resulting in a fatality. I don 't imagine that u mean that
the drunken driver shud be convicted of homicide for that.

David
ehBeth

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2012 11:55 am
@OmSigDAVID,
David - the part you have hilited in red (which is why I will be thumbing down your post after responding) talks about what is required to make a charge.

Your response talks about what is required in re conviction.

Do YOU need a refresher on the difference between charges and convictions?
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2012 12:28 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:
David - the part you have hilited in red (which is why I will be thumbing down your post after responding)
talks about what is required to make a charge.

Your response talks about what is required in re conviction.
At first, I thawt that also, Beth,
but I took the inference that she was implying
that it was all that was necessary for a conviction,
when she said:
". . . No other negligence or impaired driving has to be shown.
Drunken driving is reckless driving . . . "

On that point (of her intention) I was uncertain,
but I figured that she will clarify,
if I misunderstood her.

Please note that u r always more than welcome
to thum down any or all of my posts for any reason,
or for no reason. U shud do what pleases u.
I take NO offense, and I wish u the most JOYFUL
and prosperous of all possible days, but I hope that tomorrow
will be 2ice as good for u.

David
firefly

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2012 01:49 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
It is conceivable that while stopped in traffic, or while waiting motionless for a red light,

In that instance, the operation of the motor vehicle would likely not be considered the cause of death--since the motor vehicle was standing still and the cyclist crashed into it.
But, if the drunken driver had sudden hit his brakes, for no apparent reason, causing the cyclist to crash into him, he might well be charged.

In the case we are discussing, involving Swift, the DUI manslaughter charges do appear to be justified.
Quote:
of defendant 's vehicle

Not under Florida law. But negligence/recklessness in Swift's case would be involved in traveling too close behind the cyclist--so close, in fact, that the cyclist was hit and killed.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2012 02:49 pm
@firefly,
DAVID wrote:
firefly wrote:
In that instance, the operation of the motor vehicle would likely not
be considered the cause of death--since the motor vehicle was standing still and the cyclist crashed into it.
But, if the drunken driver had sudden hit his brakes, for no apparent reason,
causing the cyclist to crash into him, he might well be charged.
If a sober driver did that, with equally fatal results, is he equally culpable ?

firefly wrote:
In the case we are discussing, involving Swift, the DUI manslaughter charges do appear to be justified.

DAVID wrote:
of defendant 's vehicle
firefly wrote:
Not under Florida law. . . .
Well, if that is so, then it seems to me
that there r some major Constitutional considerations
that Florida is not taking as seriously as it shud, qua fair trials.

How has your MOOD been getting along, Firefly ?

David
BillRM

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2012 04:50 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
David for some reason Firefly seems to love the idea of fulling up jail cells for any reason or excuse that anyone can come up with.

The fact that we already have a greater percents of our total population behind bars then almost any other country in world history is not good enough for her.
ehBeth

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2012 04:55 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Thanks David. Have a lovely day and weekend.

I didn't want you to think that I'd thumb you down as a result of any disagreement with your comments - I'd just tell you that.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2012 06:41 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:
Thanks David. Have a lovely day and weekend.

I didn't want you to think that I'd thumb you down as a result
of any disagreement with your comments - I'd just tell you that.
That 's perfectly all right, Beth.
I respect your right to your own criteria, whatever thay may be.
I 'd never have known to attribute anything to u, in particular.

U might consider the convenience of using the Ignore function,
effectively to automate the thuming down process for the future,
thereby rendering it less labor intensive, if u click on
my avatar, going to my home page; look on the right side,
and then click on "IGNORE USER".

David
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2012 06:45 pm
@BillRM,
Well, Bill, everyone sees the world
thru his or her own eyes.

We all believe that we r right;