Boxing Day. We seem to be on the topic of Christmas so...

margo

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2002 01:18 pm
Possum-Day is 1 May - although every day seems like Possum day here!

No - I need a holiday in that stretch from July to October - winter gloom and all!

It'll be even worse next year - I'm hoping to have holidays in May/June, so I'll have post holiday blues as well!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2002 03:28 pm
Well, Margo - I am having a total of twelve days off (including weekends) over Christmas so I am a happy li'l bunny! And I have me first silly season hangover.....I think I need to open a Christmas Digression...hmmm - here or Abuzz?....hmmmmmm....
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2002 03:30 pm
dlowan- Want to do something interesting? Why not try both places?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2002 03:37 pm
Yikes! Why?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2002 06:03 pm
dlowan- Just curious to see if there are any differences in the sorts of responses that you would get from each site.

I have been going to Abuzz about once a day, just to see what's up. The funny thing is, if I respond to anything, it is usually a factual question asked by a newbie. I don't have any desire to get involved in any discussions. I looked thru a few that appeared at first blush to be interesting, but when the nogoods, imposters and nutjobs started rolling in, I left without responding.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2002 06:26 pm
Has anybody thought to invite Temper to this site? She, poor thing, starts chatty, friendly little threads and immediately gets invaded by a troop of baboon trolls and clones. I really feel for Corrie.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2002 06:28 pm
Merry Andrew, Me too! I really feel for Corrie. She's been home bound for so long, and her attempts to overcome her street fear has been relatively successful. She's always been a lady, and some of us have been lucky enough to be in her circle of jokes share. c.i.
0 Replies

Debacle

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2002 06:33 pm
I think getting cats' birthdays off is a splendid idea. They have nine of 'em, don't they?

Hey, Deb! I'll be having the same twelve days off over the hol's ... well, that is, one day later than your twelve. I haven't yet thought of what to do. I may wake up one morning and decide to fly down to FL. I find the best sort of getaways are those undertaken on the spur of the moment. My nephew in the airline bidness tells me fares have never been cheaper, but then, to me, flying anytime nowadays is one bigassle, especially at this time of year.

I don't know what to do; decisions of great pith and moment sauté my brains. Vacation days are such a pain in the arse ... think maybe I'll go on back to work. Why'd you have to go and get me started mulling about this, anyhow?
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2002 06:37 pm
if you're not too attached to the holiday, fly late on xmas eve. no better time to fly than on a holiday.
0 Replies

chatoyant

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2002 06:47 pm
Ummm ... I sort of hate to ask this after the Groundhog Day thing, but what the heck is Possum Day?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2002 06:51 pm
Fly over to Oz, Deb!!!

Phoenix - sort of an experiment in chaos theory?

Hmmmmmmmmm
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2002 06:51 pm
That's encouraging news, patiodog. Setanta is booked to fly here on Christmas Eve - I hope it works out to be a good trip for him.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2002 07:27 pm
We wish you a merry christmas eve flying.....
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2002 07:42 pm
Well, I did it! Two exact same digressions in different places....
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2002 10:23 pm
I've got a two-week holiday over the Chtristmas/New Year's period, too. I also have an invitation to spend New Year's eve in Hawaii. But, being as how my trust fund has come up short, I doubt that that's a viable option. Spent too much time in the Enchanted Isles this Summer. Maybe a driving trip up to Canada. Nahh. You folks have even more snow up there than we do here.

Where in Florida, deB? I might just consider joining you. (not that you're falling apart, or anything.)
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2002 11:01 pm
errrrrr, we have no snow right now, MA
0 Replies

mikey

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2002 11:25 pm
on the way they say Ehbeth
0 Replies

Smitty

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2002 01:44 am
In my very area & especially our Gun Club Boxing Day is our "Turkey Shoot" which means a trap shoot competition & the winners pick up anything from turkeys, chickens, hams, side-bacon, back bacon & such to in some cases it will be money. We are the only Club with this Dec 26th in the Okanagan Valley & some places close to us while others have their "Turkey Shoot" before or after out date.
0 Replies

Smitty

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2002 02:02 am
margo: you will have to make a few suggestions. Here in Cdn we seem to have a holiday every month--or so it seems like it. Try Thanksgiving Day on Oct 13th & so not as close as the Americans with theirs in Nov. Nov 11th is always Rememberance Day, Dec 25th & 26th for given reasons. Jan lst for that lst day of the New Year, April 20th & 21st as Easter. May 19th is Victoria Day, while Canada Day is July lst & the States has July 4th, & Labour Day on Sept lst.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2002 01:35 pm
Chatoyant

The management of this household is called Possum by me - I'm sure he has a much more exalted name for himself, as a person of such standing. His picture is to the left.

His birthday is 1 May, but he's such a spoilt critter that every day is Possum Day (although I doubt he considers himself spoilt - it's just his natural due, of course!) Confused
0 Replies