Boxing Day. We seem to be on the topic of Christmas so...

mikey

Reply Sat 7 Dec, 2002 11:57 pm
yeah WHenry, go for it, dogs are the best. great pic Ebeth,,,if only my scanner was working...
0 Replies

cobalt

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 02:08 am
Dear williamhenry3 - I, too, have been waiting and waiting to hear that you are ready, willing and able to get your next canine partner! Perhaps you may be able to have a neighbor or a neighbor child help out with those times you feel like you'd be gone too long in a day?

I found site online tonight connected through RAK - Random Acts of Kindness and many are simple one page sites that promote adoption of homeless pets, promote spay/neuter programs, and other things that make our world a kinder place to be. Forget the Boxing for now and start planning for Bow-wowing - soon!
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 02:32 am
Coming back to the original question: "Boxing Day" seems to be a holiday in many countries

Boxing Day - list of countries

(The link for history at that page doesn't work.)

IMHO, the term "boxing day" is just another name for the same day, called in different languages different.
0 Replies

mikey

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 02:45 am
Thank you Walter, I didn't know it was celebrated in so many places.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 02:53 am
Well, when regarding that in our so-called "christian society" even on third of the (younger) German population doesn't know, why Christmas is celebrated...
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 03:13 am
[ Besides, the USA can be happy (???) still have '
Christmas' as a holiday again:

<<"For preventing disorders, arising in several places within this jurisdiction by reason of some still observing such festivals as were superstitiously kept in other communities, to the great dishonor of God and offense of others: it is therefore ordered by this court and the authority thereof that whosoever shall be found observing any such day as Christmas or the like, either by forbearing of labor, feasting, or any other way, upon any such account as aforesaid, every such person so offending shall pay for every such offence five shilling as a fine to the county."

From the records of the General Court, Massachusetts Bay Colony, May 11, 1659>>
0 Replies

mikey

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 03:38 am
Like my kid's have been tryin to tell me for years? no worries, be happy, just pay the five shillings. lol
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 08:04 pm
Gosh..leave it to the Puritanistic Massachusetts Colonials to be big hum bugs!
Id just pay the five shillings myself
0 Replies

margo

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 08:22 pm
Of course we celebrate Boxing Day!

We rearrange all our Christmas presents, throw out the wrapping paper, eat all the gift goodies, followed by everything that's left over after Christmas lunch and/or dinner, pour several glasses of anything else left, and read the books, until 11.00am, when it's time to sit back and watch the cricket! The Boxing Day test, from Melbourne.

In times past, when Oz was the top tennis nation, and the draw was different, the Davis Cup final used to start in Oz on Boxing Day.

And for those miserable few who don't watch the cricket - there's the Sydney-Hobart bluewater yacht race, also starting on Boxing Day.

Or, you could start the drive, in slowly crawling traffic, in stinking hot weather, to your desired holiday destination.

You may have guessed that it's a holiday here.

I've heard there are some people who indulge in physical activity here - but I've never known anyone - apart from the sports people on television.

You mean, there is another way!!!!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 08:37 pm
Where I grew up, there were always Boxing Day open houses. That was what my reference to EggNog was about. Cookies and eggnog as you went from house to house for a bit of a party the day after Christmas. I notice that people of my generation have started having those boxing day parties again - less eggnog is evident now. Thank goodness. Just give me a gin and tea.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 08:53 pm
Did someone say Boxers' Day?http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0TADeAhAYMrvWyDAju7c8usmGhDwLzUHM2yq4XrZw50Fv3p7rxGF3L646vMajhHtxlc88RtGlBE40*AZWu4y0WYf3EHHBjd21D9kpxOEAiRWnNHJOG9DgAw/Bootsiehead2email.jpg?dc=4675311379490798327
0 Replies

bandylu2

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 08:54 pm
I'm afraid I'm in trouble -- no boxers; only briefs.
0 Replies

mikey

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 09:04 pm
he has that look on his face like a picture Misti took of my setter....

"i swear i didn't smoke it"....
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 09:06 pm
<grin>
0 Replies

mikey

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 09:13 pm
looks like a 'kind bud' kind of grin tho...
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 09:28 pm
I myself have always celebrated Boxing Day vigorously as it happens to be my birthday.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 09:32 pm
Another educational thread. I think we Yanks should start Boxing Day here in the States--keep the good times going for another day.

Mikey, you made me laugh when you said littlek's boxer had a 'kind bud' grin on his face. He reminds me of an old friend I knew in San Francisco in the 60's. Kind buds indeed.

William Henry, now is the time. I hope you find just the right dog. It would be so good for you and you would provide a wonderful home for him.
0 Replies

bandylu2

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 10:18 pm
Now wait a minute. Aren't the people who get a day off called 'Easter Monday' the very same folks who celebrate Boxing Day? I'm beginning to think you guys just figured out a neat way to get an extra day to recover from all the food/drink/etc. I like it.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 10:52 pm
I get Boxing Day off, but not Easter Monday. In Canada, only those working in Quebec or for some European companies get Easter Monday off (and maybe government employees in some provinces).
0 Replies

margo

Reply Tue 10 Dec, 2002 12:15 pm
Easter Monday .... tick

Boxing Day....tick

Queen's Birthday.....tick

Thanksgiving....X

Memorial Day X

Presidents Day X

Groundhog Day....X

We just get our holidays at different times - we all have roughly the same number!
0 Replies