IE in Windows2000

Wilso

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2004 11:10 pm
Is it possible for the administrator to prevent users from changing the home page?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 956 • Replies: 13
No top replies

Montana

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2004 11:46 pm
Excuse my ignorance Wilso, but I don't fully understand the question.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2004 12:03 am
Windows 2000 enables different profiles with different levels of priveliges. An administrator has full access, other users have the amount of control allowed by the administrator. I want to know if I can prevent other users from changing the home page in internet explorer. It was a request from an operator who uses the computers I maintain at work. His colleagues sometimes change the home page, and because our intranet search engine doesn't work very well ie. it doesn't work at all, it can be a problem to find the original home page if you don't know the address.
On instructions from the boss, I've locked out their ability to create shortcuts on the desktop, the taskbar and the menus. But I don't know how to lock the home page, or even if it's possible!
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2004 12:05 am
Oh, I see. I'm sure you'll get your answer ;-)

Sorry I can't help :-(
0 Replies

Turner 727

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2004 03:34 am
I think Spybot S&D allows this feature. Not sure how you'd lock out Spybot S&D from the user, tho.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2004 03:49 am
I can hide a program from other users. Don't think I'd be able to install it on these machines though!
0 Replies

Turner 727

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2004 03:57 am
Why can't you install?

Edit: well, anyways, try this page. I think what you're looking for might be here.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2004 04:05 am
I wouldn't be permitted to bring in an unlicenced product from outside.
0 Replies

Turner 727

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2004 04:07 am
Oh. . . that sucks. Too bad, S-S&D is one of the better programs out there. We're required to use it at work, since they don't restrict our web access.

Perhaps you can take the program to them and ask them if it would be permitted. Explaining that it removes malware and is considered one of the top three anti-spyware programs in the world, and free to boot. They might make an exception.

Hell, doesn't hurt to ask. Not like you're gonig to get fired for asking, right?
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2004 04:16 am
I could ask. But I already know what the answer is. Especially since we have very restricted access to the internet, ie. none.
0 Replies

Turner 727

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2004 04:19 am
Just like my last job. . . No internet, that is.

Well, the link I provided the second time is a registry tweak. I'm pretty sure regedit.exe is locked out of most users if they're not the administrator. OTOH, most users may not even know it exists. This would provide a solution to locking the homepage, and not allowing anyone to change it.

Of course, back up the registry, blah blah blah. . .all that stuff you already know so well. Wink
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2004 04:58 am
Ah the registry. I've got a machine on my desk (3 actually) that I can perform any test on. I'll have a mess around with that to find out how to do it. I've got full images if anything goes wrong. Thanks for the reminder.
0 Replies

Turner 727

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2004 04:59 am
Have fun. . .let us know how it works out. If the site is decent, and it does appear to be that way, I may have to spend more time there. Looks like there's a lot of stuff there.
0 Replies

Eastree

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2004 05:25 am
I wish I had more answers, but my job (also with very limited access to the internet) automatically re-sets the home page to the home page on the local server every time a user logs on. I'm not sure how this is done. All I really know is a dos window opens during the log-on, and the standard warnings appear about being monitored, and not going to unauthorized web sites. etc. come on. During this time, the dos window displays "Updating user's home page to the Source." It's really senseless tome, since the 'Source' as it's called, is frequently redesigned with less usability in order to make everything look better.

Any way, I can try asking around, and see if anyone in the computer admin area have a clue (usually, however, all they know is how to re-set a password).
0 Replies