You've Won The Lottery...What Do You Do Right Away

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2011 08:18 am
I don't often play the lottery... I'm not the gambling type, but I do occasionally and the other night just for an exercise I thought about what I'd do if I won. Contrary to what people might think, my first actions would be disgustingly practical.

What would you do?

Lash

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2011 08:37 am
@blueveinedthrobber,
I call a meeting of my family. We decide where we will build a family compound. We design it, furnish it (oh, the joy), move in and exult in one another daily as we plan and execute fantastic trips to historic, beautiful and otherwise tantalizing points of interest.

We adopt an inner city school in the morass of California - where you have to be rich to get a standard education - and we infuse money to give at least a few poor students the type of education they deserve.

I very likely schedule plastic surgery!!! Smile

I buy a Land Rover circa 1980. Black.

I fly to catch gigs of my favorite bands when I'm bored.

I go back to people in my past who helped me or my children - years ago - and drop copious amounts of cash on them.

Yay. Where's my check?
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2011 02:21 pm
@blueveinedthrobber,
Buy a brownstone or condo. Set up a special trust fund that will set aside enough money to maintain the residence for as long as I live, (cover real estate taxes, maintenance fees, etc...). Never have to worry about becoming homeless again.

Buy a computer and kickstart a writing career.
Irishk

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2011 02:30 pm
@tsarstepan,
The very first thing I'd do is quit my job (if I had a job, which I don't, unless you count the one where I work for free and I'd keep that one).

Second thing I'd do is fork over Uncle Sam's portion.

Third thing I'd do is hide.

(j/k on the last one)
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2011 02:41 pm
Go into hiding at first. Then, consider chartitable giving. Then, travel a lot.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2011 02:53 pm
@Irishk,
Irishk wrote:
Second thing I'd do is fork over Uncle Sam's portion.

ah, the beauty of living in canada, winnings are tax free

the first thing i'd do is start looking for property on the Manitoulin Island
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2011 02:53 pm
i open up the best bank account I can find with the highest interest offered.

what ever i earn stays in that account for a year.
At the end ofthe year, what ever the earned interest is, that is what I live off of for the rest of my life.

i may skim about 10k before depositing it and take a vacation, but i would put to end anything major that was going on right at that point. ( car repairs..move..what ever)

and for an entire year I would be absolutely batshit waiting on my job less life to start..

meaning-

if I won 14 mil
and after a year i had ( not exact math) 500k in interest for a year.. I would live on 500k every year. No job.. nothing. EVER Smile
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2011 02:55 pm
@blueveinedthrobber,
Call an accountant.
msolga

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2011 03:01 pm
@blueveinedthrobber,
Double check that the information (that I won the lottery) is correct & not some hoax .....
Then if it is, enjoy a really good glass of wine & get over the shock.
Irishk

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2011 03:05 pm
@msolga,
Oh, good one! Champagne!!! In Paris!!! lol
msolga

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2011 03:07 pm
@Irishk,
Even here at home would be good, Irishk ......at least initially. Smile
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2011 03:19 pm
I would consult my list of death.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2011 06:08 pm
@ehBeth,
ha!
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2011 06:29 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

Call an accountant.

Nope.
Call my lawyer.

Doing the math, shewolf would have to earn 6% interest btw, counting on 35% tax on her interest, and assuming the 14,000,000 was net.

I'm like bear, many initial acts would be practical, and done to ensure my privacy, and income for myself, husband, step daughter and some friends.

After that...

3 homes.
1 in Austin
1 in S. Dakota
1 in NJ or NY

Housekeepers to keep it all clean.

Pools that can be enclosed and heated in the winter and shaded in the summer. They will have UV systems, not chlorine.

A few dozen pairs of yoga pants, sweats, 3/4 length t-shirts, comfortable underwear and flexible shoes.

Oh, and swimsuits.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2011 06:37 pm
One small apartment because I will travel. A LOT.
blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2011 06:39 pm
About the only really stupid and self serving thing I would do is have a party and hire the band that played on David Lee Roth's first solo album and the Classic YES lineup to play for it.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2011 06:47 pm
attorney, accountant, investment counselor.
use the money as a bully stick to make my youngest 2 go to college and graduate.
set Stephen up for life.
set ALL children , grandchildren and great grandchild up.
Best dental work, complete physical and any repairs necessary and the best healthcare insurance money can buy.
Call all the medical and hospital people that fucked me and wouldn't accept my "minimum "payments even though they were faithful and tell them I was rich now and they could **** themselves for the money anyway. When they got judgments, deliver the money in loose pennies. Then I might do something stupid. Laughing
Take serious look at charities that actually used money to do good things and make informed decisions. Definitely set up a charitable organization for epilepsy research.
Do one last karaoke show and at the end, pour gasoline on all my gear and set it on fire.
Rockhead

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2011 06:57 pm
@blueveinedthrobber,
pour gasoline on all my gear and set it on fire...

you should invite great white to back you up.

If I won the lottery (don't play) I would head to Minnesota for a while to figure some stuff out.

then start visiting sick friends...
0 Replies

margo

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2011 07:33 pm
Resign from work! (and look for an accountant!)

Travel! I might finally go and have a butchers at the ole US of A. - or maybe not - just back to Europe.

?New house - in roughly the same area as I live now - just in a better part of it.

Other stuff.....
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2011 08:00 pm
This is fun.

Wally and I have had a couple of conversations about this in the past.
It's just fun talking about "what would you do?" without thinking it's actually going to happen.

Travel?

Yeah, I'd travel a little. There's a few places I'd like to see. A week or 2 here or there, maybe twice a year.

I like the idea of having actual homes in places I'd like to spend significant time. A base camp. A place I can call home.
0 Replies