Why are paradoxes considered profound?

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2011 03:45 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil Albuquerque wrote:

...my seeking of attention it is so great that I am announcing my immediate retreat from this forum from this very moment on...
It is evident that you donĀ“t deserve the pleasure of my presence around nor do I need the pathetic educated ignorance displayed by 90% of the posts I must endure...
for all that I care you can all enjoy your mediocrity together...thankfully I am sufficiently appreciated elsewhere...

Yuck. 'The pleasure of my presence.'
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrEdYyejlj8&feature=related
Cyracuz

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2011 07:05 am
@fresco,
Yes, I am familiar with the idea of dis-unified self.
I thought about it some. First it seemed that this could explain the occurrence of moral dilemmas, but not solve them, as in helping a person select the "right" answer. But can a theory really be applied to provide the answer in something like this?
Now I am thinking that understanding this will provide a person with better background knowledge to make an informed choice. It seems to me it comes down to conflicting loyalties, as you said earlier, and understanding this could certainly help someone organize their thoughts.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2011 07:11 am
@The Pentacle Queen,
I think Fil is Portuguese. His English certainly suggested that he is from a country where it is not a primary language.
I once suspected that his arrogance, condescending attitude and the insults could be a result of that, something that comes out of translating from another language, one with a very different temper than English. I asked him about it and was basically told to f*** off, so there goes that theory. Wink
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2011 12:45 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
To prove that he does not hunger for our attention Fil has retreated from this forum, as he put it. As I see it, suicide (viz.,withdrawal from the scene of life) is one of the most dramatic ways the defeated seek attention.
0 Replies

bulldogcoma

Reply Fri 30 Mar, 2012 12:55 am
@The Pentacle Queen,
In zen paradoxes are meant to leave the mind in suspended animation in which thought ceases, creating a space for _______
JLNobody

Reply Sun 1 Apr, 2012 06:20 pm
@bulldogcoma,
a space to go nowhere.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 1 Apr, 2012 06:20 pm
@bulldogcoma,
a space to go nowhere.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Mon 2 Apr, 2012 09:57 am
@bulldogcoma,
I should have said (once): a space for FREEDOM.
0 Replies