Sex Ratio and a Surplus of Single Men in Recent Years

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2011 05:45 pm
My question concerns the sex ratio of single people in the US, which according to my observations has shifted in the past 3-4 years.

I live in Washington DC/Baltimore. In the mid-2000s in this area, I remember the singles ratio as being either even or female-biased (a surplus of single women). This was visible both in singles' bars and on dating sites like Match.com. In particular, the 2007 US baby boom was attributed to the large number of fertile women in the population at the time.

Over the past 3 years, starting around 2009, the situation seems to have completely reversed. There are now far more men than women in most singles' bars here, and single women seem to have disappeared. I have observed a similar trend, although smaller in scale, in New York. Census numbers show that the number of single women in NYC has decreased by 50K since 2008.

Do any demographic experts have any ideas on what may be going on right now with the singles ratio, and why it's become so male-biased in recent years? Also, is it a general trend, or just in Washington DC? Thanks
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 3,540 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Ragman

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2011 06:13 pm
@AVisitor,
It only seems that way (more men). It's because we're more noticeable...or obnoxious ... than before! Perhaps we're larger? I keep meaning to use that treadmill to run on instead of hanging my clothes.

Seriously, there's been such a long established population trend towards a female surplus in the 40-and-over democraphic, I doubt that it has reversed itself in the main population with a male surplus in a few short years. Plus 1 or 2 % has been the trend F vs M as I recall.

I'll see what I can come up with for research.

[edit: here's one link that discusses 'Best (and Worst) Cities to Meet Men' : http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2009/10/18/the-best-cities-to-meet-men.html]

1. Atlanta is numero 1 for meeting eligible men.

23. New York City
Sex and the City tricked a nation of women into believing that New York was the ultimate destination for single women looking for love.

Be aware that whomever shows up at dating bars may be a different demographic than the actual population of male vs female in general population itself. Many men due to layoffs, downsizing, and/or divorce may be showing up at dating bars or online dating sites. Possibly there's a trend changing in that direction but not in the population of Over-40 itself.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2011 06:18 pm
@AVisitor,
I should have thought it was because females are hiding away more and I must admit that it seems a sensible thing for them to do these days.
0 Replies