How do you convince someone to vote?

hey786

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2011 12:40 pm
How to fight against voter apathy?

roger

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2011 12:51 pm
@hey786,
I generally tell them that if they don't vote, mine is worth twice as much. I also let them know I prefer they just stay home.

(I have many Democrats as friends)
Ceili

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2011 01:02 pm
What worked for my kid was driving him to the polling station all the while guilting him with stories of responsibility and civic duty and if he didn't I'd be upset and how his vote only counts if he actually does it otherwise he doesn't get an opinion...... and so on.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2011 01:49 pm
@roger,
unless this one switches if Gary Johnson runs as a libertarian (that's on Huffpo news today). I probably wouldn't, but there's a smidge of a chance I would. On the other hand, I've not read enough about him to have caught what would be negatives for me.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2011 09:54 pm
It's not always due to apathy. Disgust can play a part, when both major parties are failing in their duties. That's why, if I vote, it will be for a third candidate.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2011 10:12 pm
This question doesn't make sense.

Why would you convince someone to vote? If someone is apathetic, I would rather they not vote.
Leah5454

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2011 09:35 am
@maxdancona,
I think the question was basically asking if voting means something to you, how do you convince a person it is meaningful, in general.
0 Replies

Leah5454

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2011 09:39 am
@hey786,
Having a vote is like having a voice and although there are statements out there saying they are not tallied up accurately, or voting fails, it is a work in progress still.
When I was younger, I assumed my vote would not be heard. But I learned it was. So if I met someone who didnt believe, I would start by asking them WHY they believe in NOT voting first.
djjd62

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2011 09:54 am
i vote just to spite the system (oh look, there's a communist party member running in this election)
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2011 09:56 am
@Leah5454,
Quote:
Having a vote is like having a voice

I agree with this statement. But, the question remains. If someone is ignorant and apathetic about something, why would you ever try to get them to speak up about that topic? I would rather that people who know nothing about a topic to shut up about it (not that that has ever stopped me, but that is another topic).

Americans in general are quite ignorant about the issues involved in political life. Most of us do little reading and little thinking about these issues. This is why millions of Americans can be swayed by a 30 second TV ad.

I believe that everyone should have the right to vote. And I believe that that comes with the right to not vote. Heck, if you are one of the millions of Americans who have very little knowledge or interest on issues like debt, global warming or foreign policy, I would prefer you step away from the lever that informs important decisions.

I am certainly not going to encourage ignorant or apathetic people to vote (unless I am sure they will vote my way).
ossobuco

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2011 05:10 pm
@maxdancona,
I'm a long time voter, strongly believe in voting even if my voice is one of the minority. On the other hand, I'm not interested in talking someone into doing something they are against doing.

I've spent time driving seniors to their voting places, back before absentee ballots were quite the thing.

So, I'll facilitate voters who need help, but whether or not you want to vote is not my business.
I enjoy Maxdancona's point though.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2011 06:09 pm
@maxdancona,
I quite agree, Max. At one time, I had occasional dealings with the staffs of the various magistrate courts. They were efficient and helpful; I voted for incumbents. I was totally ignorant of the other judgeships, and it seems they have some sort of constraints on how they can campaign. I declined to vote on the judicial portion of the ballot.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2011 07:35 pm
Make it compulsory?
0 Replies