Lustig Andrei

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2011 08:27 pm
There's an old joke about a Jew's first Christmas. (If you've heard this, don't stop me.)

This fellow had arrived in New York from the old country and right away wanted tobe very American. He saw that this season all Americans were decorating their homes and putting up Christams trees and lights and he wanted to join in. A fellow Jew told him that having a tree would be all right as long as he referred to it as his Channukah bush, not a Christmas tree.

So our friend went out a bought himself a Channukah bush. But being of a religious bent, he wanted a rebbe (rabbi) to say a b'ruchah(sp.?) over the tree. This is a Jewish blessing to concecrate and/or dedicate something. So the newcomer to these shores went to see an Orthodox rebbe in Williamsburg, Brooklyn. The rabbi was furious and told the poor sap where to go with his tree, with "this Goyishe piece of treif."

Dejected but not discouraged, the poor fellow went to see another rabbi, this one the head of a Conservative congregation. This rabbi was far more polite and friendly, but also said that he could not under any circumstances say a Baruchah over what was, after all, a Christian symbol. But, he advised, there was a Reform rabbi who lived nearby who might be willing to compromise a bit on the matter.

Our hero went to see the Reform rabbi. "Rebbe, will you say a Baruchah over my channukah bush?" he asked. "I went to two different rebbes, one in Williamsburg, the other one just down the street, one Orthodox, the other Conservative, and they both refused. You're my last hope for doing this right."

"What a beautiful Channukah bush," the Reform rabbi exclaimed. "What do those Orthodox and Conservative charlatans know? Of course, of course I'll be proud to say a Baruchah over this tree."

He paused. "But you have to tell me, what's a Baruchah?"
ossobuco

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2011 08:41 pm
@ossobuco,
I should double check these are ok with her. She long ago gave me permission, but still. Anyway, we both look different now, about a decade later.
0 Replies

George

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2011 09:20 pm
@MMarciano,
MMarciano wrote:
It's going to be a Catholic and Jewish wedding Wink
You know what they sing at a Catholic/Jewish wedding?
Oy vey, Maria.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2011 11:53 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Lustig Andrei wrote:
. . . "What do those Orthodox and Conservative charlatans know?
Of course, of course I'll be proud to say a Baruchah over this tree." . . .
Did the classifications of "Orthodox" and "Conservative" have anything to do with DEVIATION
or non-deviation, or maybe degrees of deviation, from the original paradigm, Andy????? Inquiring minds wanna know.

David
0 Replies

MMarciano

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2011 11:00 am
Does that mean Morgan will be the Jewish Christmas Fairy this year? Wink
Ragman

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2011 11:07 am
@MMarciano,
It'd be interesting seeing you try to get him to sit up on top of the Christmas/chanukah tree. Oh, wait..that's supposed to be the angel not the fairy. I wonder what the difference is between an angel and a fairy? Better PR?
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2011 11:30 am
Don't worry, it's a Pagan festival anyway.
Quote:
Apparently, the season of good cheer did not start out as exclusively a Christian festival. According to Pagans, the early Christian church hijacked December 25 to celebrate the birth of Jesus because they saw that everyone was already having a good time and decided to take advantage of it

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/special_report/for_christmas/_new_year/pagan_christmas/37276.stm
Sturgis

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2011 04:25 pm
@jcboy,
Don't forget sno-globes and a toy railroad train which should go around the tree protecting all the gifts beneath the tree.
jcboy

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2011 05:15 pm
@Sturgis,
You’re kibitzing me right? lol
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2011 07:37 pm
@Sturgis,
Sturgis wrote:
Don't forget sno-globes and a toy railroad train which should go around the tree protecting all the gifts beneath the tree.
Gee, I had 1 of those RR trains n track, with the transformer for the speed.
We set that up around the Christmas Tree for many years. Thank u for the nostalgia.

David
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2011 02:29 pm
@jcboy,
Something for the little one...Smile

Something you and Marco should consider doing this year (this was one of my favorites from last year lol)...
Lustig Andrei

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2011 02:48 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Don't worry, it's a Pagan festival anyway.
Quote:
Apparently, the season of good cheer did not start out as exclusively a Christian festival. According to Pagans, the early Christian church hijacked December 25 to celebrate the birth of Jesus because they saw that everyone was already having a good time and decided to take advantage of it

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/special_report/for_christmas/_new_year/pagan_christmas/37276.stm

I thought everybody knew that. The ancient Romans called it their Saturnalia; the pagan Norse called it Jul (pronounced Yule). The celebration of a festival of lights at around the time of the Winter Solstice has nothing whatever to do with Jesus or with Christianity. Nobody knows what time of year Jesus was supposedly born but it sure as heck wasn't in the Jewish month of Kislev (roughly our December) if those shepherds were out night-herding. Traditionally, there was no night-herding between Yom Kippur and Peisach (Passover).
jcboy

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2011 03:02 pm
@Irishk,
haha, that's cute, thank you, just showed it to him, he's still home sick with the flu.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2011 03:29 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Father Christmas has nothing to do with Santa Claus. Father Christmas didn't come from St. Nicholas, but from the pagan Holly King.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2011 03:42 pm
@izzythepush,
Yeah, with a little Odin thrown in.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2011 03:45 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Odin? Over here he's Woden or Wotan.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2011 03:47 pm
@izzythepush,
Same dude, different dialects.
jcboy

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2011 05:34 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
My first Christmas tree. Antonio watched me put the tree up today, we will decorate it later this week when he’s feeling better.

http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/9775/ctreer.jpg
CalamityJane

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2011 08:22 pm
@jcboy,
OMG, considering that you're new at this, you have decorated quite a bit already - looks marvelous!
jcboy

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2011 08:31 pm
@CalamityJane,
Thank you Smile I have been working on it tonight, Antonio hung his one ornament before going to bed and when he wakes up tomorrow it will be completely finished.