measured = standard?

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2011 09:55 am

Context:
They gave measured doses of LGG to mice, directly delivering the live bacteria to the stomach. They found it protected only mice that could make COX-2. In mutant mice unable to manufacture COX-2, the radiation destroyed epithelial cells in the intestine, just as it did in mice that didn't receive the probiotic.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 664 • Replies: 7
No top replies

contrex

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2011 12:27 pm
A measured dose is one of a predetermined size.
oristarA

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2011 10:26 pm
@contrex,
contrex wrote:

A measured dose is one of a predetermined size.

Well. If the standard dose is 3 pills a day, now doctor decided the patient should take 5 pills a day. Can we call the dose as the doctor's measured dose?
Ceili

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2011 11:41 pm
@oristarA,
Yes. In either case, the dose is not a random amount.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Thu 24 Nov, 2011 01:12 am
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:
Well. If the standard dose is 3 pills a day, now doctor decided the patient should take 5 pills a day. Can we call the dose as the doctor's measured dose?

You aren't getting it. There is not a "standard dose" of LGG to give to mice. You do understand that it was an experiment? Measured means "not random" or in this case probably "not guessed".
oristarA

Reply Thu 24 Nov, 2011 05:07 am
@contrex,
contrex wrote:

oristarA wrote:

You aren't getting it. There is not a "standard dose" of LGG to give to mice. You do understand that it was an experiment? Measured means "not random" or in this case probably "not guessed".

Of course I knew it was an experiment., and I knew "measured" didn't mean "standard." Deliberately putting it as "measured = standard" is a way to ask questions, which makes things easier.

From what understood from you:

Measured = predetermined?
contrex

Reply Thu 24 Nov, 2011 12:00 pm
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:

From what understood from you:

Measured = predetermined?

Each mouse got a dose which had been measured - e.g. with a pipette, or weighed, the point is that it was determined to some level of accuracy.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Thu 24 Nov, 2011 08:07 pm
Cheers.
0 Replies