Anti-virus scams

Setanta

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2011 09:02 pm
That's right, scams, not scans. We occasionly get pop-up messages from Norton and McCaffey to the effect that they're about to do an anti-virus scan. We don't have either installed, we have Kapersky (and are happy with it). Does anyone know what's up with that? Are they trying to sucker us into buying their product?

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2011 09:08 pm
@Setanta,
It cod be a variety of things: spamware, malware, or least likely legit popup ad.

Try Spybot: Search and Destroy (free): http://www.safer-networking.org/index2.html
to see if you have an infected computer.

Update your antivirus software and most IMPORTANTLY never click on the popup. Best to hit control/alt/delete and turn off/close that window/popup with the task manager.
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2011 09:11 pm
@tsarstepan,

What to Do If You Saw an ‘Antivirus’ Pop-Up Ad

http://gadgetwise.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/09/14/what-to-do-if-you-saw-an-antivirus-pop-up-ad/
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2011 09:14 pm
You're not getting it. These pop-ups use the McAffey or Norton names and logos. This isn't some generic crap, and i'm not some rube who needs the kind of advice you're giving me. I'm interested to know if anyone is sufficiently knowledgeable to tell me if McAffey and Norton are trolling for new customers.
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2011 09:17 pm
@Setanta,
Thanks for the insult to my intelligence Set. It's not difficult to fake a logo. It's called phishing.
Setanta

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2011 09:18 pm
@tsarstepan,
You insult my intelligence, what do you expect in return? Why don't you go clutter up someone else's thread, i've never thought very much of what you post as it is.

But before you go, thanks for ******* up my thread.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2011 09:26 pm
@Setanta,
I know that Facebook is now embedding McAfee in their software. If you're only seeing that pop-up when logging onto Facebook, this might be the problem:

Found this on the Facebook Known Login Issues page.

http://www.facebook.com/help/?page=222994827726175

Quote:
When I log in to Facebook, I see a message telling me I have a virus and need to scan my computer with McAfee software.
You're seeing this message because we detected suspicious patterns in the way your account was being used. These patterns suggest that you computer might be infected with malware. In order to keep both your account and the files on your computer secure, your computer needs to be scanned and cleaned. Since we partner with McAfee, you can do this for free by logging into Facebook and following the on-screen directions.
Butrflynet

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2011 09:31 pm
@Butrflynet,
If you're seeing the pop-up in more places than just Facebook, have you recently installed any toolbars or software that might have a free virus scan offer included?

Some of the Adobe programs (Flash, etc.) have this.
thack45

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2011 09:32 pm
+1 for the ctrl+alt+del approach!

This sounds like a "rouge" security pop-up, or "scareware". I had this issue on my PC a while back and found adaware was very useful - and free. Be sure to frequently keep it updated (manually).

Falling for the popup (I've also seen a couple posing as java updates!) can really do a number on your system - hiding your files and homescreen icons; even programs in your start menu. I'd assume this is to make you think you really need to purchase the software. (It hasn't happened to me but apparently the malware installed asks for credit card info).
Setanta

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2011 09:33 pm
@Butrflynet,
That's a possibility--however, these only appear when i'm at the desktop, i've never been subjected to pop-ups at Facebook. We have update notification for Adobe, and the Flash player is frequently updated.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2011 09:36 pm
@thack45,
I haven't had any such problems, and the Kapersky is the best protection i've seen so far. I don't "accept" pop-ups of any kind, and i learned the cntrol-alt-del trick ages ago. What mystifies me is that this has none of the earmarks of standard scams. We also get a pop-up, usually just after boot-up, with Norton offering an online backup service. That has shown up even before we connected this box to the web, so it must be something which came with this brand of computer.
thack45

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2011 10:08 pm
@Setanta,
That part sounds like typical third party blaotware. My toshiba has tons of it, but you can use task manager to keep those things from running at startup. Saves a lot of grief and waiting around

I did find one site that claims that "the fakes often mimic well-known brands such as Grisoft AVG, Norton and McAfee" http://www.scambusters.org/fakeantivirus.html. Of course it's hard to say for sure without seeing what you're seeing first hand.

You still may want to check out something like adaware as I recall it picked up a lot of malware atempts that were otherwise unnoticed.
thack45

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2011 11:19 pm
@thack45,
thack45 wrote:

That part sounds like typical third party blaotware. My toshiba has tons of it, but you can use task manager to keep those things from running at startup. Saves a lot of grief and waiting around.
I cranked up the old toshiba because task manager didn't seem right... and I just did this a few months ago! If the case is known, non-essential junk slowing startup and just generally annoying the **** out of you, this worked for me. The gist:
-click Start
-type msconfig in to the search box and enter
-click Startup tab
-uncheck the unwanted program
-click OK
That's it.
wayne

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2011 11:35 pm
@Setanta,
The norton stuff, if it was there with the box, can be got rid of with a borrowed norton disk, there's a removal tool that runs first, then don't install.
farmerman

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2011 01:48 am
@wayne,
I get all sorts of phishing crap that I assume is malware. I even get a series of "emergency action required" from my ISP. SOmeone has gotten my ISP'slogos and certs and has sent out tons of memos that your internet is in danger of being compromised (Isnt that amazing how accurate they are?).
The conficker network is now probablyhundreds of millions of unsuspecting computers. Conficker has yet to do anything maiicious other than some money scams originating in Ukraine.
Setanta

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2011 03:51 am
@thack45,
That looks useful, i'll check that out.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2011 03:51 am
@wayne,
Thanks, Boss.
MontereyJack

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2011 04:02 am
And some ISPs have legit antispyware as part of their servicel I have Comcast and they offer you some variety of Norton, I think, but I use Norton anyway and it got rid of a particularly annoying homepage highjacker which kept directing me to online gamnbling sites, so I've stuck with it, and I'm not sure if Norton popups are coming from Norton or via Comcast.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2011 07:02 am
@Setanta,

this information could help other people...
wayne

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2011 09:45 am
@farmerman,
I hear a lot about people getting all this malware, I don't know if I'm lucky or just doing something right, I never have anything aside from the occasional popup that gets through and they usually popup behind the browser and don't get noticed til I log off.
I use a wireless signal and always set-up my network as public so I'm kind of cloaked in a way.