Critical and creative thinking in human and natural sciences

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2011 01:57 pm
Knowledge is generated through the interaction of critical and creative thinking. Evaluate this statement in two areas of knowledge.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 4,047 • Replies: 14

Lustig Andrei

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2011 05:14 pm
@liina111,
What'll you give me for doing your homework for you?
rosborne979

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2011 08:47 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Lustig Andrei wrote:

What'll you give me for doing your homework for you?
We should just make up horrendously incorrect answers to all of these homework questions just to give their teachers a laugh.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2011 08:50 pm
@rosborne979,
Now, that's a nasty idea.

I love it.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2011 01:54 am
@rosborne979,
...like suggesting "Intelligent Design" as one such area ! Very Happy
farmerman

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2011 05:27 am
@liina111,
Quote:
Knowledge is generated through the interaction of critical and creative thinking. Evaluate this statement in two areas of knowledge. [/quote

Ok, Ive evaluated it, now what?
rosborne979

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2011 05:35 am
@fresco,
fresco wrote:

Ha Smile I'm sure we could load these "do my homework" puppies up with some phenomenal BS if we tried.
roger

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2011 05:38 am
@farmerman,
Now type up your evaluation. Be sure it's double spaced, with proper attention to spelling, punctuation, and grammar.
farmerman

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2011 07:48 am
@roger,
EEEEEEEEWWWWWW> Gonna be tough. How good must it be? If I take an "I" can I do it over Christmas?
My computer's broke and I cant spell real good on my I phone
farmerman

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2011 08:42 am
@farmerman,
Seriously, for our scholar friend. Today, the concept of "critical thinking" seems to precede knowing anything about the disciplines necessary to even engage in conducting such thinking.

Like whether a person engaged in radiometric aging critically evaluates the USe of "SHRIMP" v GCMS technology. You first have to know what the hell the debate is even about.
Most critical thinking conducted bt IDers and Creationists involves mere criticism with the first understanding of the subject under inspection.
0 Replies

raprap

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2011 09:29 am
@liina111,
egocentric nihilism--discuss it's effect on stoics.
Fido

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2011 09:53 am
@liina111,
liina111 wrote:

Knowledge is generated through the interaction of critical and creative thinking. Evaluate this statement in two areas of knowledge.

I would say that most knowledge has been in the form of culture which we recieve uncritically because we do not have the perspective from which to judge it but the one it gives to us by which we judge all other cultures, and it is learning acquired by trial and error, that is, through myths and morals, maxims and word of mouth...Society has learned by experience what behaviors injure its individuals and so injures the whole of society so that any activity that results in mayham, or injury, or disease is discouraged, and all the virtues are encouraged because their good is the good of society...

At the root of all knowledge is our idea of cause and effect which is accepted by even the most far out meta physicist...Even while this notion is at the bass of our knowledge it is beyond rational proof, and is instead, an axium... The creativity and critical thinking of people like Gallaleo, or Newton, or Einstein is beyond question, and there, insight linked with reason to produce genius... But the fundamental understanding upon which all knowledge is based is itself beyond objective proof, and that seam is one through which all belief seeps since through it God is dragged in to explain all that science cannot or will not.... No one can prove insight either, but once insght has suggested a solution to a problem the critical/rational mind goes to work... Gallaleo was not simply an insightful physicist, but one able to construct experimental demonstrations of his conclusions...
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2011 02:56 pm
@raprap,
raprap wrote:

egocentric nihilism--discuss it's effect on stoics.
Smile
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2011 10:23 am
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:

fresco wrote:

Ha Smile I'm sure we could load these "do my homework" puppies up with some phenomenal BS if we tried.
It would be cool if all those kids did their homework, but when it is my kid, I don't care how she learns, but that she learns... I will give her the answer if it will help her over a log in her road... How often do we have to solve problems??? We have to find answers, and the hardest answer to find is where to look to find the answer because most of the time it is in some book you already have... Some times people cheat on a test and still learn the answer... I would not encourage people to cheat out of the possibility of learning the correct answer because a moral problem is not ever the best solution to a physical problem... I tried to give an answer, but since I have not had the class, and have no idea what the instructor is looking for, it is just a shot in the dark, my best guess...I could suggest some reading, but I don't know if some one who won't read their texts or listen to lectures would read what I suggest...But raise your hand, and I will throw you a line... I love to help.. I hope I have...
fresco

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2011 12:23 pm
@Fido,
In my 20 years experience as a teacher I can tell you that the kids who received "help" from parents gained little or no academic benefit, and often the opposite. Whether the social interaction at home "improved" or not was also a debateable point, even if it made the parent feel better.

BTW Consideration of the possessive adjective "my" as in "my child" can yield some interesting umbilical nuances.
0 Replies