Is this spam? Why is this allowed?

wayne

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2011 06:12 pm
@BillRM,
That's really not censorship you know, no one has removed nor prohibited anything, if you haven't noticed, there's a little green tag, says view, and the post will appear for your viewing pleasure.
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2011 06:52 pm
@wayne,
wayne wrote:

That's really not censorship you know, no one has removed nor prohibited anything, if you haven't noticed, there's a little green tag, says view, and the post will appear for your viewing pleasure.

Kinda like back in the day when the only way to look at a copy of Justine, Philosophy in the Bedroom, and Other Writings was to get a librarian to go to a locked case and get it for you....technically available but consumption is discouraged.
BillRM

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2011 12:45 am
@hawkeye10,
Take note Hawkeye how many votes down we both had on our postings concerning mob censorship IE either passing the 6 votes down total or well on their way to reaching that goal.

I love mob censorship of complains about mob censorship!!!!!!!!

To me that is the best argument that could be made that Robert had created a monster with his mob censorship by default sitting.

That is beside the problem his system had run into with false accounts being created just to vote down postings.

Of course I had a feeling even Robert was aware at the time that if he was upfront and gave a choice instead of setting this up as a default that most people would not had it turn on.

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2011 12:57 am
@BillRM,
Quote:
To me that is the best argument that could be made that Robert had created a monster with his mob censorship by default sitting.
It could have been such, as I argued vigorously at the time, the saving grace is that the system is lightly used and lightly regarded.

Quote:
Of course I had a feeling even Robert was aware at the time that if he was upfront and gave a choice instead of setting this up as a default that most people would not had it turn on.
He said at the time that the system was all about user choice, that we could now make our a2K experience what ever we want it to be. You will notice however that there is no way to opt out of the voting scheme, there is no way to rid my screen of the votes. There is of course also no way to opt out of the tags that others place on threads.
Butrflynet

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2011 09:51 am
@hawkeye10,
It's called the "Don't use A2K option."
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2011 09:59 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

. You will notice however that there is no way to opt out of the voting scheme, there is no way to rid my screen of the votes.

There kind of is. In "Preferences," you can choose whether votes collapse posts and topics or not in your view.

So while you can still see numbers, that doesn't really affect your experience one way or another.

Seeing the posts or not does, and you have control over that.

Quote:
There is of course also no way to opt out of the tags that others place on threads.

That's also more customizable than you seem to think. You can add your own tags which will bump out rarely-used tags.

If you post something about school and several people tag it "education," you probably can't bump that out (but why would you)? However if you post something about school and one person tags it "Hawkeye is an idiot," that's pretty easy to bump out.
wayne

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2011 10:03 am
@hawkeye10,
I really don't see how that's discouraging consumption, it's certainly not censorship. They used to, maybe still do, mail penthouse in a brown wrapper, is that discouraging consumption?
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2011 02:20 pm
@wayne,
wayne wrote:

I really don't see how that's discouraging consumption, it's certainly not censorship. They used to, maybe still do, mail penthouse in a brown wrapper, is that discouraging consumption?
The brown paper does not require any extra work to consume, asking the librarian for the book or clicking on a tab is work. People are for the most part lazy, even small amounts of work requirement impacts the choices made.
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2011 02:24 pm
@sozobe,
Quote:
So while you can still see numbers, that doesn't really affect your experience one way or another.
Sure it does, you cant help seeing it and it does impact the brain, even if only subconsciously. It matters.

Quote:

If you post something about school and several people tag it "education," you probably can't bump that out (but why would you)? However if you post something about school and one person tags it "Hawkeye is an idiot," that's pretty easy to bump out.
I rarely use the tags so I am in not much of a position to complain about the tags that I see, but I do not have the option to opt out of the communities choice of tags unless I tag each thread 5 times, which was my point. There is no option "eliminate tags" so I have to see them.
wayne

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2011 03:26 pm
@hawkeye10,
I'm guessing then, that any jewelry you might happen to buy for your wife is the stuff on the easy to access rack by the check-out counter, rather than the stuff you have to ask the salesman to help you with.

And I'm a bit confused how tearing off the brown wrapper isn't extra work, but clicking a mouse is so hard.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2011 03:49 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
but I do not have the option to opt out of the communities choice of tags

why would you want to?

aren't you all about the collective experience?
izzythepush

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2011 07:30 pm
@ehBeth,
Like most of you I'm sickened by this racist's spamming. So I've decided to fight fire with fire. I'm a real fan of Southampton Football Club, so I've just cut and pasted loads of stuff about Saints on Pamela Rosa's White Victimns of Black Crime thread. I invite you all to join me, cut and paste any old crap, pages from wikipedia, recipes, pictures of cats, anything. If enough of us do it, maybe they'll get the message, lets give them a taste of their own medicine.http://able2know.org/topic/138570-124#post-4802973
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2011 10:37 pm
You know, I've thought a bit about the best way to respond to this non-stop racist tirade.
I've come to the conclusion (for me, anyway) that the best thing to do is to vote the threads down, then totally ignore any further posts.

Even thumbs-downs are are a type of response. And I think that angry responses are what the poster/s want. Attention. The aim is to upset people, nothing more.(Surely those posts are hardly going to convince anyone?)
So I can't see any point in supplying her/them with any further attention. If we all ignore them, remove ourselves as the audience, I reckon they'll eventually disappear.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2011 10:45 pm
@msolga,
I went from ignore to voting posts down (it gets to be a task). I think I'll listen to you on this, MsO, except that I'll go back to ignore.

I see arguments for making arguments, re other people reading, but it all balloons into feeding the maw.
msolga

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2011 10:52 pm
@ossobuco,
Yup.
She/they love an outraged response, or a response of any sort, including multiple thumb-downs.
0 Replies