Is this spam? Why is this allowed?

roger

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2011 12:35 pm
@engineer,
I'm surprised at that too. It looks like there are people here who routinely vote down the poster instead of the post.
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2011 12:38 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

I'm surprised at that too. It looks like there are people here who routinely vote down the poster instead of the post.

I am not trying to be mean here but DUH!
roger

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2011 12:43 pm
@hawkeye10,
I take it back. I'm not surprised at all, after all these years.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2011 02:34 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

is anyone debunking the racist rants to any effect? someone would have to put a lot of time in to keep up with Pamela's co-believer.

I hope so. It would be sad if someone looking for race crime information did not see any rebuttal, but I confess I'm more with Shewolf in thumbing the topic down and not letting it ruin my otherwise mostly pleasant A2K experience.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2011 03:00 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

If you believe in democracy and/or free speech then you need to leave the fanatics alone so long as all they are doing is arguing their ideas.This might make your day less bright, but you need to suck it up and drive on in the name of avoiding oppression of the individual as best as we can manage.

This is not the first time that your priorities have been whack, of course.

Charming. I can't and won't speak for the people who thumbed down Hawkeye's posts, as I'm not one of them. I'm going to hazard a guess though. Could it be that the second he read of thumbing down posts he got personal? nasty?
He's obviously not on my ignore list... So why the venom?
Here's a thought thought, since you're so keen on non-oppression of the individual... Why do you insist in my need as an individual, to have anything, I don't want or like, shoved down my throat. If I choose to ignore something, what business is it of yours. I'm choosing to use a tool to ignore a tool as an individual. I've got news for you. This isn't a democracy. This is a private site. I'm not against free speech. I'm against flaming. This isn't about the message. This is about the method.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2011 03:04 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
If you need to craft your own personally designed environment then you are in the wrong place, you dont have the right to do that in a democracy.

1. this is not a democracy

2. the owner of the site has added featurs to allow people to craft their own personally designed environment, so it appears that you are in the wrong place
shewolfnm

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2011 03:09 pm
thats funny. I JUST saw that thread with those redundant posts.
I had to stop and tell that person to just shut.up.
It was tiring and rude .

then I see THIS thread. HA!
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2011 03:10 pm
35+ threads and counting..
Is this the beginning of the end?
shewolfnm

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2011 03:11 pm
@Ceili,
what.. ? serious?
that ONE person?

holy crap. I have not noticed that. I just saw the idiotic behavior in gracies thread.

thank goodness for ignore. She/he can join goldman Smile
ossobuco

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2011 03:14 pm
@ehBeth,
Yes. Some of us including the owner of this site have experienced the chaos that comes from moderators and standards going away and are not interested in signing up to read chaos. Well, not to speak for others, or otters.

Thus the rather elegant system derived here at a2k. Sure it can and may be tweaked somewhere along the line, but people of many views around the world can work with it, each in their own way (once they figure it out).

Whether there needs to be a posts in a row limit, as Ceili suggests (I think), I don't know. There already is a limit re posts in a certain time (flood!!!!). Drowning hamsters make us sad.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2011 03:15 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
people to craft their own personally designed environment, so it appears that you are in the wrong place

And other people environment unless they search out how to disable the feature that give people like you power over what they can see.
Ceili

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2011 03:25 pm
@shewolfnm,
Yeah, that's all in Gracies thread. Clumps of the same stuff they already posted in another thread or two, or more of the same anyway.
That's the point. Everyone could ignore it and let the thread die a natural death. Then the next thread on racism or whatever topic is la soupe du jour, the next one starts and dies and the pattern happens over and again and again. It doesn't leave much room for any meaningful conversation, if every thread on racism ends in propaganda and profile picture. Or whatever the next "salesman" brings down the pike to clog up what ever channels they disagree with.

0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2011 03:29 pm
@BillRM,
and isn't it wonderful that it is a feature that can be adjusted to suit the individual user's preferences

delightful in fact
BillRM

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2011 04:50 pm
@ehBeth,
I know it would take some powers from you to control by default others abilities to read messages however on sign up the vote down feature should be explain and a choice given to allow mob censorship or not.

I remember running into this without warning and needing to do a search to find out how to disable it.
ehBeth

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2011 04:56 pm
@BillRM,
The feature was discussed before it was introduced.

The site owner decided on the default.

Mine is set to no. That is, no matter how many thumbs down a post /thread gets, I still see it - unless I thumb it down.

If the site owner had set the default the other way it would have been three seconds less effort.

Not worth complaining about.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2011 04:57 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

I know it would take some powers from you to control by default others abilities to read messages

I've got 1 vote, not 5 or 10 or whatever the default is set at. I don't control anyone else's viewing.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2011 05:21 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

I know it would take some powers from you to control by default others abilities to read messages however on sign up the vote down feature should be explain and a choice given to allow mob censorship or not.

I remember running into this without warning and needing to do a search to find out how to disable it.

Are you volunteering to take on the Welcome Committee role? Those that already do it would be thrilled to have more folks helping out with this.
BillRM

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2011 06:06 pm
@Butrflynet,
I never program a website in my life.

When I was in college I learn to program using punch cards and fortran 4 and even an analog computer by using a plug board and jumper wires.

Later on I picked up a little c and 8080 assembly and basic and forth.

Now playing around with visual basic and finding I do not like it.

So I can not put up a welcome screen with the require information and add a yes no button to it however off hand it seems a simple task for those with the background in web design.

Of course I could be wrong and to do so is for some reason a hard task.
Butrflynet

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2011 06:17 pm
@BillRM,
I'm not talking about programming. I'm talking about posting a welcoming post for new folks that tells them how to navigate and use the site.
Below viewing threshold (view)