What is the name of this style

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2011 07:18 am
What do you call paintings that were massed produced (in the 20's & 30's I think) that are pressed on a thick medium so as to bulge out and give more a feeling of depth or a 3d effect. I would expect to find this type of painting to be found in something like a Stuckley's or a Woolworths in their time. Of the ones that I remember seeing they were of natural settings such as a covered bridge over a stream with tree in the foreground and horse and buggy that had passed through the bridge in the background with the bridge being in the middle. The tree would be pressed out farthest, the bridge to a lesser extent, with the buggy the least pressed out.
Thanks for the help
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,057 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2011 08:13 am
Are some of these possibly velvet Elvis types of paintings?
Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2011 08:30 am
no, they were on cardboard (lack of a better word) type of medium and the paint was rather flat, not flashy. When bought they would have been pre-framed and very, very affordable/inexpensive.
thanks for the reply
0 Replies
Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2011 09:34 am
you mean something like relief ? bas relief is a kind of sculpture, but Im not aware of a name given to higher relief paintings.
HMMMM. Encaustic Impasto is a thickly layered ground and paint usually a mixture of paint and wax.
Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2011 09:41 am
Yes, it is but the main objects, such as a tree is pushed out in the form of a tree and painted. Only wish I knew how to post a picture I'd add it.
Thanks for the reply

Much like a plastic relief map where you could run your fingers over it to feel the contours of the terrain.
0 Replies

Related Topics

  1. Forums
  2. » What is the name of this style
Copyright © 2021 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 07/27/2021 at 03:20:31