Projectile motion

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2011 11:11 pm
I need to calculate the distance of where the ball will land with two given known's : The velocity is 4.0512 m/s and shot off of a table 1.14 meters high. There is no angle. Please help ASAP.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,068 • Replies: 5
No top replies

BillRM

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2011 11:39 pm
@gabegardiner,
The problem is simple you need the time it take for the ball to fall from the table and hit the floor and then the distance from the table it will travel in the horizontal direct in that time period.

Note the velocity given only had a horizontal component.

Given the basic equations h=1/2at^2 and horizontal distance=V(horizontal)*t the answer is simply with the first step finding the t value.

Beyond that I am not going to give you the answer as it is simple.
fresco

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2011 12:49 am
@BillRM,
Hmm..."simple" for some of us perhaps!
In my experience it is unlikely that the student understands that the time taken for the projectile to travel away from the table is exactly the same as it would be if it merely dropped from the table. This needs to be understood, and that the horizontal velocity remains constant for that "drop time".
BillRM

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2011 01:46 am
@fresco,
LOL......I think I said the same thing you just did IE where is only a horizontal component of the velocity given and the drop time can be found from the h=(1/2)*aT^2 equation.

The horizontal distant from the table is going to be D=Vx*t

This on it face is an ideal problem so there is no force acting on the ball in the horizontal direction so the V is of course a constant.

fresco

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2011 01:54 am
@BillRM,
Yes you did in algebraic and vectorial terms . I merely add a little "teachers preamble" to the answer.
BillRM

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2011 01:59 am
@fresco,
I wish when someone come here for help on such a problem it is more in checking their work request then please do this for me request.

Or at least something that would show he or she had attempted to work the problem and ran into a concept he is not clear on such as the need to break the motion into x and y components to solve the problem.
0 Replies