Australia, we don’t know you, but we love you, say our American friends

msolga

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2011 08:47 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
When the thread degenerates into arguing, I intend to abandon it.

And I will watch on from the sidelines, edgar! Smile
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2011 08:48 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

ossobuco wrote:

What the hell is this USians crap?

It's an anti-American slur that you see here and there on the Internet. Like calling the Chinese chinks or a Korean a gook.

Nonsense....it's pointing out that the Americas are two enormous continents housing many countries.

Calling people from the US Americans is like calling everyone from Europe French.

If Osso wants to have one of her melt downs about it at least give her accurate information.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2011 08:48 pm
@hingehead,
France and Italy, back in the day. Occasionally in England.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2011 08:49 pm
@hingehead,
France and Italy, back in the day. Occasionally in England.

- I take it as a power play by the u.s. But I don't know nuttin.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2011 08:51 pm
@hingehead,
Does seppos mean something I'm clueless about?

I'll admit it's hard to come up with a word that works.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2011 08:52 pm
@dlowan,
What I find especially annoying about this kind of ridiculous attack is that you and Osso both appear blind to the word Ozzian used in the same post, and by numerous USians here.

ossobuco

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2011 08:53 pm
@edgarblythe,
What was, that he was lashing out against women for years before?
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2011 08:59 pm
@dlowan,
Brava, Deb!
' Murricans tend to forget that 'America' consists of two very large continents and the people who reside in that partisular piece of real estate located between Canada and Mexico are not the only Americans in the world and have no right to claim that title exclusively.

Me, I'm quite comfortable with USians. Or anything else you want to make up.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2011 09:00 pm
@edgarblythe,
I argue with you, you leave?
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2011 09:10 pm
@ossobuco,
Not refering to you, osso.

I meant about Wilso that I caught a look into his problem from time to time. I did not read every word he wrote, but occasional posts made me see him as lonely and rejected by women.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2011 09:12 pm
@dlowan,
Melt down?

I have long posted as not in favor of calling people from the u.s., 'americans'. I know I posted discussing that somewhere here. In the beginning I tried out u.s. americans, and gave up, using 'people from the u.s.', at least most of the time. I have been very aware of all this for years. I don't know how many years. I suppose I have slipped off and on, but I've been trying to not do that for at a lot of years.

What is this posturing from you, Dlowan? Interesting hostility.

I don't happen to like the euphony of USians. I think we need a better word.
Ceili

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2011 09:13 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
I think if you asked, most Canadians and Mexicans would happily let you have that particular moniker. We don't and never have referred to ourselves as Americans. We may live in North America and we do sometime refer to ourselves as North American and in Mexico I do believe they call themselves Norte Americanos.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2011 09:16 pm
@dlowan,
I don't like Ozzian either.

But I don't know what you call yourselves. It would never occur to me to call you that.

and what was that post - I can't find it from yours and this is getting confusing.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2011 09:22 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
I don't and never have.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2011 09:26 pm
@engineer,
Just one more comment before I go ....
Not arguing, mind ... just wanting to set things straight, OK? Wink

Quote:
Quote:
What the hell is this USians crap?
It's an anti-American slur that you see here and there on the Internet. Like calling the Chinese chinks or a Korean a gook.

Engineer, that is absolutely not the case & I don't know how you formed that opinion (if you're serious, that is). You'll just have to take my word (or not) on that.
If anything, I always understood "USians" to be a light, almost affectionate term.

I can recall, quite a while ago, a US A2Ker handing me a bit of a serve for using that term & feeling quite bewildered.
I no longer use it because apparently some people do feel offended by it, though I honestly can't understand why they would.
And I would never use terms like "chinks" or "gooks". Ever.
But hey, "USians" is hardly in the same league, is it?
What's the difference between that & "Ozzians"?
I don't feel in the least bit offended or put-down by being called that.
dlowan

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2011 09:33 pm
@ossobuco,
So make one that works. People from the US is too long. My hostility came from the wording of your response.

ossobuco

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2011 09:34 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
I happen to not like that at all.

I still can't find Dlowan's reference to someone and me passsing by the use of Ozzians.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2011 09:38 pm
@dlowan,
I give up, what post, and who are you talking to?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2011 09:47 pm
@dlowan,
I'm working it - it's not easy.

The americans thing is long time in place, somewhat concreted by wars, but it is part of a 'might makes right sort of thing'. Discomfitting, but it's a known.
USians and Ozzians both sound wrong to me, but I'm still getting used to Oz as the concept. I think of you all as Australian.

It looks like I need to add the obvious, both USian and Ozzian sound dumpkopf re language to me.

I can see calling us Norte, but that too is a product of a bias of mine and includes Canada.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2011 10:03 pm
@dlowan,
Which?

You are giving me no clues on how to answer you.
0 Replies