¥1000 = 1000 yuan (renminbi)

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2011 10:10 am

Context:
This year, please consider making a donation of $5, €10, ¥1000 or whatever you can to protect and sustain Wikipedia.

Thanks,

Jimmy Wales
Wikipedia Founder

More:
https://donate.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:FundraiserLandingPage?uselang=en&country=CN&template=Lp-layout-default&appeal-template=Appeal-template-default&appeal=Appeal-default&form-template=Form-template-default&form-countryspecific=Form-countryspecific-control&utm_medium=sitenotice&utm_source=B11_Donate_Jimmy_AvsB&utm_campaign=C11_1114_AvsB_CN
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,211 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Joe Nation

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2011 12:23 pm
@oristarA,
Yes. It stands for 1000RMB.
contrex

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2011 12:31 pm
@Joe Nation,
Yuan in Chinese literally means a "round object" or "round coin". During the Qing Dynasty, the yuan was a round and silver coin.

The character for yuan has two forms—a less formal, 元, and a more formal, 圓 or 圆. The pronunciation of the two in Mandarin Chinese is the same—yuán. However, in Wu Chinese, as inherited from traditional Chinese pronunciation, 元 (nyoe) and 圓 (yoe) remain distinct phonetically. The Japanese yen was originally also written 圓, which was simplified to 円 (en) with the promulgation of the Tōyō kanji in 1946. The Korean won used to be written 圓 (won) some time after World War II and as 圜 from 1902 to 1910, but is now written as 원 (won) in Hangul exclusively, in both North and South Korea. The Hong Kong dollar, Macanese pataca and New Taiwan dollar are all written as 圓. In People's Republic of China, using '¥' as well as RMB to denote the currency is common (e.g. ¥100元 or RMB 100元).
Joe Nation

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2011 12:36 pm
@contrex,
I have a question that fits here. If I was reading 1000RMB aloud in English, what would I say "Ar Em Bee " or ren min bee"

contrex

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2011 12:48 pm
@Joe Nation,
Joe Nation wrote:

I have a question that fits here. If I was reading 1000RMB aloud in English, what would I say "Ar Em Bee " or ren min bee"

I am not Chinese, but I found this on a Yahoo page:

Quote:
How to Say RMB

Mandarin speakers commonly say "Renminbi" when referring to their currency in Mandarin, but when using English, both native and non-native Mandarin speakers commonly refer to the Chinese currency as RMB. RMB is pronounced by saying each individual English letter (i.e. RMB) without inserting pauses between the letters.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/5649488/how_to_say_yuan_and_rmb.html

oristarA

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2011 09:43 pm
@contrex,
contrex wrote:

Joe Nation wrote:

I am not Chinese, but I found this on a Yahoo page:

Quote:
How to Say RMB

Mandarin speakers commonly say "Renminbi" when referring to their currency in Mandarin, but when using English, both native and non-native Mandarin speakers commonly refer to the Chinese currency as RMB. RMB is pronounced by saying each individual English letter (i.e. RMB) without inserting pauses between the letters.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/5649488/how_to_say_yuan_and_rmb.html

That's not true. We Chinese never say "Renminbi" in our daily use. We usually refer to 1000RMB as 1000 kuai (kuai stands for 块); that is, "1000yuan"(1000元) is also far more less used in China unless in written forms.

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2011 09:16 am
@oristarA,
Good. But how does that sound in English?

Oristar, may I borrow 1000 RMB?

Do I say
one thousand AR EM BEE?
or
one thousand YOO AN ?

or what?

Joe(you don't have to send me the money.)Nation

PS: I interviewed yesterday with a Chinese Manufacturing Company.
Very Happy
oristarA

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2011 12:52 am
@Joe Nation,
Joe Nation wrote:

Good. But how does that sound in English?

Oristar, may I borrow 1000 RMB?

Do I say
one thousand AR EM BEE?
or
one thousand YOO AN ?

or what?

Joe(you don't have to send me the money.)Nation

PS: I interviewed yesterday with a Chinese Manufacturing Company.
Very Happy

It may depend on the one from whom you intend to borrow. A famous English learning CDROM in China published by Tsinghua University shows a dialogue between an American and a Chinese: "May I borrow 1000 kuai" is what the American says.

But if among Yankees or Brits, better use "YOO AN " or "AR EM BEE" or "renminbi" to avoid any misunderstanding, I believe.

Joe Nation

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2011 06:43 pm
@oristarA,
Thanks
Joe(I got the job)Nation !!
0 Replies