has anyone added a dormer to your attic? how much did you end up paying??

Tue 15 Nov, 2011 02:23 pm
we are closing on our house soon andwe are later wanting to add a large dormer in the attic to make a third bedroom. the attic space is A frame and we already know it can support a dormer. the dormer would need be about 13 feet long....i know that there is no way to tell a specific price for a matter like this, but i was wondering if anyone has done a project like this and how much they paid for construction and labor.....i dont really want to know what our project would cost, but i want to know what your project had cost. can you tell me the size and work needed and the price please?? thankyou so much!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 7 • Views: 42,013 • Replies: 17
Topic Closed
No top replies

contrex

Tue 15 Nov, 2011 02:40 pm
@leelee11,
I live in Bristol, England, in what I think Americans call a "row house". The people next door had a dormer put in and they said it cost 50 thousand pounds (around 80,000 US dollars) It sounds around your planned size.

leelee11

Tue 15 Nov, 2011 02:43 pm
@contrex,
geeeeeez....i wasnt expecting that much.....
leelee11

Tue 15 Nov, 2011 02:44 pm
@leelee11,
i wonder what material it was though?? we just need basic frame and siding dormer.
ehBeth

Tue 15 Nov, 2011 03:11 pm
@leelee11,
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_much_does_it_cost_to_put_on_a_dormer

someone asking this at wiki got a range of answers from $30,000 to $100,000

location has a bit to do with it

how many square feet do you think you'll be adding?

~~~~~~

the yahoo answer I found was $50,000 (3 years ago)

Quote:
Very expensive. You would have to redo your roof,cut and fit it. Add bracing to support a room up there, windows, wiring, insulation, heat and cooling. The list goes on.
contrex

Tue 15 Nov, 2011 04:50 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:
$50,000 (3 years ago)

My neighbour ("neighbor") had their $80,000 dormer about 6 months ago.
contrex

Tue 15 Nov, 2011 04:53 pm
@leelee11,
leelee11 wrote:

i wonder what material it was though?? we just need basic frame and siding dormer.

I believe that those American terms correspond to what my neighbour's dormer is made of. They had to have steel reinforcements and a lot of scaffolding and all kinds of stuff, architect's plans, city hall clearance, it wasn't a simple thing.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Tue 15 Nov, 2011 05:01 pm
@contrex,
Apparently you can get some prefab ones that are less expensive, but there are permits etc - and there is always the cost of good labour - which never seems to go down.
0 Replies

leelee11

Tue 15 Nov, 2011 08:16 pm
@ehBeth,
12x4 feet. and we live in illinois. we only need a building permit. we are planning on fisnishing the whole attic space ourselves and the place already has wiring. wejustwant the doremer put in.
ossobuco

Tue 15 Nov, 2011 08:23 pm
@ehBeth,
I find that all hard to believe except that there is more involved in placing that than just the dormer.
0 Replies

leelee11

Tue 15 Nov, 2011 08:26 pm
@leelee11,
there is already a bedroom and a bathroom upstairs adjacent to this attic space. no stairs will be needed. just a door cut and a floor put down. then the dormer neeeds put in becasue it is A frame. the A frame is sitting on a wide roof space that comes out quit a ways so the dormer would sit perfectly on the back of the house. there is already electricity. all of the floor boards will support a room. i have been reading about this and most are saying 50-100,000. i just couldnt believe that. The whole house we are buying for 80,000 at a very good deal becasue it is worth quit a bit more. but i could not see a dormer costing that much becasue even to build a whole room with foundation, electricity, walls, plans, etc...cost 30,000 at the minimum.
Ragman

Tue 15 Nov, 2011 08:31 pm
@leelee11,
Try these sites to help estimate the cost:

http://www.remodeling4dumbbells.com/Dormer_Additions.php

http://www.remodelormove.com/content/article/article.cfm/build_dormers

http://www.constantchatter.com/forum/showthread.php?14276-adding-a-dormer

rosborne979

Tue 15 Nov, 2011 08:33 pm
@leelee11,
leelee11 wrote:
12x4 feet. and we live in illinois. we only need a building permit. we are planning on fisnishing the whole attic space ourselves and the place already has wiring. wejustwant the doremer put in.
Between $6k and $10k for labor, and $3k to $5k for materials. Post pictures of the house and some basic drawings of the dormer style and I can narrow it down for you.
leelee11

Tue 15 Nov, 2011 08:37 pm
@Ragman,
hey thanks! basically...there is no way to tell unless i get an estimate. oh boy. we just didnt want to get our hope set on this plan and be smashed.
Ragman

Tue 15 Nov, 2011 08:47 pm
@leelee11,
Pricing of a job can only accurately be determined until it has been estimated by qualified licensed local contractors. Regional (and international) differences can be off by a surprising amount.
0 Replies

leelee11

Tue 15 Nov, 2011 08:54 pm
@rosborne979,
http://www.wall-realestate.com/homes/521%20Charles.htm
from the outside it looks a lot smaller than it actually is. the ceiling in the center is 7 feet in the center and then gradually slopes. thats why we wanted to add a dormer to one side to extend the height of this room. we only want the dormer added. all the rest we will do ourselves. siding and all.
0 Replies

leelee11

Tue 15 Nov, 2011 08:55 pm
@rosborne979,
and a shed dormer seems to be necessary
0 Replies

leelee11

Tue 15 Nov, 2011 09:01 pm
@rosborne979,
http://www.diychatroom.com/f19/cape-cod-dormer-help-90084/

something like this....its the last pic.
0 Replies