Problem with 2000 Winstar

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2004 11:57 pm
I need help. My emergency brake light comes on when I'm onroad and stop. When I accelerate, it goes off. My emergency brake is not engaged. If my emergency brake is engaged, the light comes on properly and if I disengage it, the light goes off. This doesn't happen all the time. What could be wrong? Is it serious? Confused
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,154 • Replies: 1
No top replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2004 11:02 am
there is a good chance that your car has a brake-cable that is beginning to corrode. had that problem with a VW-Passat and eventually the emergency(parking) brake refused to release. not very pretty, heated up the brake drum in no time at all. lesson learned : ALWAYS use the parking brake when parking, AND have the parking brake inspected at least every 6 months, have it lubricated. particularly important when driving in cold/damp climate, condensation can quickly ruin a parking brake cable (alternative : NEVER use the parking brake - that's what a car-mechanic said - but forget about using it when you might need it, it likely won't work) . hbg
0 Replies