CAN YOU RECOMMEND a digital camera with Mac compatibility?

Clary

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2004 09:40 am
I am on the brink of getting a digital camera, and have too much input on the Internet to sort out. I don't want superduper pix that can be expanded to fill whole walls, but I do want reasonably sharp, lifelike-coloured shots of people, plants, places. A video facility would be quite nice but not essential. Oh yes, it must be IDIOTPROOF and CHEAP! Laughing
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,555 • Replies: 11
No top replies

katya8

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2004 12:05 pm
I have a Fuji 6800 zoom that's got its own cradle so it recharges itself continuously.

It's got to be idiot-proof cause I'm using it without problems.

It's always connected to my Mac. It also does like a minute or so, of video, but being the camera-idiot I am, I never tried that.

It wasn't cheap. Circuit City might do a lot better than Mac, which is where I bought it at list price. :-)
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2004 12:15 pm
Thanks a lot, Katya, that is really useful - I haven't heard of that one before. Roughly, what price bracket (I shall have to translate to pounds but I'd like an idea)
0 Replies

katya8

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2004 02:22 pm
Go to the Apple store Clary.
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2004 05:59 pm
They don't seem to be on sale over here even in the Apple Store - they have been overtaken by other Fujis ... but I'm investigating a good-looking Sony which is on special offer... Thanks anyway!
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2004 06:40 pm
because I don't know there is a difference???
I thought that most camera worked with both platforms, my friend has a Canon just like mine, for the PC and he has a MAC - I'm confused now.
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2004 02:28 am
Most of the cheaper ones don't seem to be OK with the Mac - if you look down the tech specs you will see.. frustrating. I was hoping to pay less than £200 (? about $300) for 3.2 megapixels. Maybe I'll just wait until they all get cheaper!
0 Replies

katya8

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2004 09:02 am
Every which way I tried to post a live link, it doesn't work. Don't they want us to post links, Husker?

I'm no techi, but I think that Mac compatibility has to do with the UBS cable that connects the camera to the Mac?. Then again, I might be totally wrong about that. I only buy products that are announced to be Mac-compatible by their manufacturer.

The Fuji enters all my pictures into iPhoto without any problems, so I love it.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2004 09:12 am
katya8 wrote:
Every which way I tried to post a live link, it doesn't work. Don't they want us to post links, Husker?

I'm no techi, but I think that Mac compatibility has to do with the UBS cable that connects the camera to the Mac?. Then again, I might be totally wrong about that. I only buy products that are announced to be Mac-compatible by their manufacturer.

The Fuji enters all my pictures into iPhoto without any problems, so I love it.

I bet you pay more for the MAC side of things? Just PM me the link if you do not feel sure. :wink:
0 Replies

katya8

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2004 09:18 am
I did it! (the link is alive now. Whoopee!)

Cary, you're no "idiot".....you talk about megapixels - I don't even know what those are, haha!

0 Replies

husker

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2004 10:00 am
Well look at that there's a Canon A80 - fine little camera on the apple page! I'd for for that in a heartbeat! No fool-in!!! Or even the A70 that I got from Costco is great value for the price - truth is - unless you are doing giant pictures most people and I mean MOST people do not need larger than 3 megapixels, and most people who shoot a picture bigger than that don't know what to do with a picture that large.
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2004 10:35 am
That's right, the Canon A70 is a good one, but the Sony has about the same specs and is £60 cheaper here..
0 Replies