Ask for a proper explanation of the word "anchor"

Candery

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2011 05:19 am
Hi there
I've got a problem in understand the word "anchor" in a sentence in a book. The original sentence is "Subramanian anchors the analysis by adopting a histprical perspective in comparing China's future rise with the past hegemonies of Great Britain and the United States." I've looked up to the dictionary, but I could not find a proper explanation of it in that context. Maybe it has other meanings in English except those in dictionary. So, I really really hope that you guys would do me a favor.
Thanks in advance...
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 942 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2011 05:26 am
@Candery,
An anchor is a device which holds a ship in place, when the anchor is lowered into the water. In a figurative sense, the word anchor is used to designate something which fixes something else in place. In this case, the author saying that Subramanian fixes his analysis in place by using the historical perspective described. Subramanian puts his analysis on a solid basis, anchors it, with that perspective.
engineer

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2011 05:27 am
@Candery,
In this context it means to base the presentation on a solid piece of evidence or analysis which acts as a foundation for the rest. That evidence is the "anchor" of the presentation.
Candery

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2011 05:44 am
@Setanta,
thank you very much
0 Replies

Candery

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2011 05:44 am
@engineer,
many thanks
0 Replies

33export

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2011 05:50 pm