near = in the nearby of?

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2011 07:09 am

Context:

Researchers at the Georgia Institute of Technology have now determined that the insertion and deletion of large pieces of DNA near genes are highly variable between humans and chimpanzees and may account for major differences between the two species.

More:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/10/111025122615.htm
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 500 • Replies: 2
No top replies

PUNKEY

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2011 07:26 am
The clue to the meaning is found in the following paragraph, where it explains what is "near" (or next to) the genes:

". . . there are large genomic "gaps" in areas adjacent to genes that can affect the extent to which genes are "turned on" and "turned off." The research shows that these genomic "gaps" between the two species are predominantly due to the insertion or deletion (INDEL) of viral-like sequences called retrotransposons that are known to comprise about half of the genomes of both species."

oristarA

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2011 09:04 am
@PUNKEY,
PUNKEY wrote:

The clue to the meaning is found in the following paragraph, where it explains what is "near" (or next to) the genes:

". . . there are large genomic "gaps" in areas adjacent to genes that can affect the extent to which genes are "turned on" and "turned off." The research shows that these genomic "gaps" between the two species are predominantly due to the insertion or deletion (INDEL) of viral-like sequences called retrotransposons that are known to comprise about half of the genomes of both species."

adjacent !

Thanks
0 Replies