Why do you suppose Jesus never condemned slavery?

mesquite

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2012 10:07 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
I can't imagine why you would claim that Frank sees himself as an atheist, but thanks for the laugh.

You're welcome. It was this post that prompted the claim.
Frank Apisa wrote:
I was a theist, was agnostic for some time, now I'm atheist, slowly transition to an atheistic Buddhist. I've been through most of that spectra.
http://able2know.org/topic/17906-26#post-5112008

But on further checking I see that it was just a botched quote of aspvenom that came out looking like it was Frank's statement. I should have known better since I didn't feel the earth shake or heavens roar.
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2012 10:47 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
Re: Frank Apisa (Post 5118536)
That's rich, coming from you. Playground insults are about all you've got going for you, Frank.

I guess that is what you think, Setanta, but that says more about the myopia you have about the nature of your posts than it does about me.

Quote:
But, whatever you say, Bubba. I'm sure you know best.

Nope. YOU are the one who appears to think he KNOWS best, Setanta.

Me...I always seem to have doubts.
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2012 10:52 am
@mesquite,
I was wondering about that comment, Mesquite, but I neglected to respond. As you can probably see, I am into a very interesting discussion with Setanta here, and I guess the delight I am feeling has caused me to be careless about responding to others.

Glad there were no earthquakes or other catastrophes based on my non-conversion to atheism.
Setanta

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2012 10:54 am
@Frank Apisa,
You seem to have no doubts that i am angry or frastrated. You can't see or hear me, yet you childishly insist that i am angry or frustrated. By the criterion in your signature line, you are displaying weakness, because you pretend to know hat you don't know.

It is not a playground insult to point out that your signature line is idiotic. Strength and weakness are not unambigous terms. You don't describe what kind of strength or weakness you mean, so even if you think it is wise and clever, it's not. As i've already pointed out, as you came up with this as a part of your "agnostics are superior" crusade, you are hoist on your own petard. You can't know who is preteneding to know what he or she does not know unless you know yourself that there is or is not a god.

That's why it is idiotic--not that i expect you to honestly acknowledge it.
mesquite

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2012 11:37 am
@Frank Apisa,
From my seat here in the gallery that interesting discussion looks more like a couple of boys seeing who can pee the farthest.
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ31YXnt4J32GzKvqcxjsr6gGUdGLhDBaO9Od4LLNwBBtX7xiCHVA
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2012 12:06 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta...I have learned something very interesting in this thread.

You actually do not realize how petty and angry and "frastrated" you are when you post.

Fact is, I do not know you are petty, angry, and/or "franstrated"...but I think a reasonable inference can be drawn that you are.

I understand that you use the term "idiotic" as often as possible...so if you think my comments or my signature line or anything else is idiotic...I understand completely.

I wish I could react the way you want to that, Setanta, but all I can do is guffaw. And I have done that dozens upon dozens of times the last few days.

Keep coming back and providing entertainment. Try to make your pettiness be as reasonable as possible...because that is when you are at you funniest.

I love ya, man. Do not doubt that.
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2012 12:09 pm
@Setanta,
By the way, ole buddy...any chance you can tell me how to get my signature line to show up? I cannot see it...and you indicated there is a misspelling or erroneous punctuation in it, which I would like to correct. When it was showing up in my posts there was no missing apostrophe. Not sure what has happened, but I do want to correct it...so at least you have a correct signature line to mock.

Yours is a beauty, by the way. Exactly the kind of sig line I would expect from someone like you.
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2012 12:12 pm
@mesquite,
Quote:
From my seat here in the gallery that interesting discussion looks more like a couple of boys seeing who can pee the farthest.

Nope. If you read each post carefully...you will see it is Setanta peeing as far as he can...and me simply responding without doing any peeing. Be that as it may...I am finding it very interesting if only for the reason I just shared with Setanta.

If you know how I can get my sig line showing, Mesquite, I would love to know.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2012 12:15 pm
@Frank Apisa,
But i'm not petty (such as dissing people for their spelling) and angry and frustrated, Frank--that's just you pretending to know what you don't know, which by your own criterion is a display of weakness. As for my signature line, i pick up interesting quotes and put them there. You may think what you like of any that i use, because i assure you that i have no respect for your intellect and opinions.
ehBeth

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2012 12:15 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:
Not sure what has happened, but I do want to correct it...so at least you have a correct signature line to mock.

Quote:
To acknowledge what you do not know – is a display of strength. To pretend you know what you truly don’t – is a display of weakness.
Joe Nation

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2012 12:18 pm
@mesquite,
Yes, it is a pissing contest which is too bad because I'm of a mind which thinks it's a good thing to challenge the promoters of a system of morality, Christianity, which somehow neglected the whole issue of the morality of slavery until their founder had been dead (and risen) for approximately 1846 years.

Worship other Gods?~~oh, no!
Steal?~~~ No way.
Kill? ~~ shalt not!!
Covet thy neighbor's beauteous camel and his wife's assets?? No-no-no.

Slavery? ~~ um...that's an iffy. Erm, slave owners should be good slave owners and slaves should be good slaves. "huh?"

Really.

The point, of course, is that if the Christians couldn't figure out that the Great God's command to His Chosen People that they shall have slaves was as wacky as His Command that no one should eat Lobster or Cheeseburgers, maybe we shouldn't trust them when it comes to figuring out when a human life begins, whether sex can be just for fun and that two members of the same sex should be able to have that same fun without being driven out beyond the walls of the city and stoned to death.

Christ had the right idea about women, but Paul screwed that up and we are still dealing with his idiotic view that women are somehow lesser than men. (Where'd he get that from? Not from Jesus.)
Yet we are supposed to depend on these "thinkers" to form our societies?

Knowing now that the Christian theory of a Human Centered Universe was a crap idea for its entire twenty centuries* of being, maybe we shouldn't depend upon them to guide us on the scientific matter of stem cell therapies or any other science that doesn't specifically deal with changing water into wine.

[There have been adjustments.]
Thou shalt not kill.

Joe(See John XXIII on the meaning of the words :Just War.)Nation

*(That's right. Even five hundred years after Copernicus, Christian Catholics were still insisting that our solar system was the center of a god-created universe . They gave up that idea about twenty years ago. Good, huh? Fundamentalist Christians and Islamics still are holding on tight.
Folks, there is no center of the Universe. )
ehBeth

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2012 12:19 pm
@mesquite,
yup - you've got it in one (though I know one of them at least is laughing)
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2012 12:21 pm
@Joe Nation,
well said, Joe...

I go walk in the mountains, or sit next to a 500 year old tree...

then humans seem much less significant to the whole equation.

(I think Paul was gay)
aspvenom

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2012 12:44 pm
@Rockhead,
The awkward moment when you come home from your nirvana and can't wait to hit the skin flick.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2012 12:46 pm
@ehBeth,
Beth, thank you for that...but I already knew that. I am looking for it to come up in my homepage or in my posts. How do I do that?

(Not sure what happened to the apostrophe, but I am almost certain it was in there when I originally posted that sig.)
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2012 12:50 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
But i'm not petty (such as dissing people for their spelling)...

Yeah, you do. You did it to me earlier using that "sic" thingy.

Quote:
... and angry and frustrated, Frank--that's just you pretending to know what you don't know, which by your own criterion is a display of weakness.

I have not pretended to know what I do not know. That is just you trying to make my words mean that thing. I am steadfast in acknowledging that I do not know the things I do not know.

Quote:
As for my signature line, i pick up interesting quotes and put them there. You may think what you like of any that i use, because i assure you that i have no respect for your intellect and opinions.

Ahhh...you have no respect for my intellect and opinions. What will I do? How will I ever feel whole again?

C'mon, Setanta...you can do better than that!
mesquite

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2012 12:58 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank,
At the bottom of the page select "My Preferences", Then for "Show Signatures" select "Yes"
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2012 01:06 pm
@mesquite,
Thank you, Mesquite. All done. I do not know how the apostrophe got missing, but it does not look like the kind of mistake I would make. In any case, it has been corrected...and I stand by the sentiment expressed in it.
ehBeth

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2012 01:35 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:
I have not pretended to know what I do not know.

c'mon Frank.

you are always pretending to know things about Set's mood when he's posting and you really don't know anything about it.
spendius

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2012 01:48 pm
@Joe Nation,
Quote:
Yet we are supposed to depend on these "thinkers" to form our societies?

Not at all Joe. You are, perforce, constrained to depend upon whichever thinkers form society. You are perfectly at liberty to change them but I can't see you doing as long as you go off into an emotional sulk rather than address my last two posts on here.

What we need is a persuasive argument that an alternative mode of thinking will suit our purposes better than the one you are whinging about. What positive advantages are there in knowing that there is no centre of the universe? What do we do with such wisdom?

What advantages are there in knowing that the thinkers who form our society are a ball of shite if there is no alternative thinking on offer except that the thinkers in place are useless?
0 Replies