Why do you suppose Jesus never condemned slavery?

spendius

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2012 09:13 am
@Setanta,
Frank's works do provide a sounding board for various defences of Christianity. And an opportunity for a few readers to examine the rebuttals of those defences.

Perhaps Setanta wishes to shut Frank up in order to avoid seeing any of the serious defences of Christianity.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2012 09:21 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
Snide passive-aggressive insults only serve to emphasize what an angry man you are Frank. I'm not concerned with any "failures" on your part. This is a game you play, i don't know why, and i don't care. But it's long since gotten old, tedious and predictable. More than anything else, it doesn't work. It doesn't draw in the christians and it serves none of the ridiculous, noble purposes you attempted to allege.

You should stop being so angry at god and the christians and lighten up.

Setanta, that was a pretty good attempt. You are learning…not completely up to speed yet (probably too much anger), but you are making steps in the right direction. Take it easy...take it slow; the race doesn't always go to the swiftest, but often to the steadiest.

Anyway, you and I are having great fun here…entertaining each other. I love golf, Setanta…LOVE golf, but at the end of my round this morning I said to one of my playing partners, “I am anxious to get home to see if this guy Setanta has responded to my last post. He entertains me beyond measure. I am getting to the point where I enjoy what he writes…and the way he writes it…almost as much as golf." (Almost!)

The guy has been reading our exchanges. He is enjoying the banter almost as much as I. I guess I should offer his thanks also.

This is great!
spendius

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2012 09:56 am
At the risk of being accused of repeating myself here is part of an unanswered post on another read which has some relevance here.

Quote:
Criticism of religion is logical if the beliefs of the religion fail to further society's goals and such criticism is difficult to level against the Christian religion because it has fulfilled those goals more successfully than any other culture ever did.

Criticism of religion is also valid if it offers an alternative to the religious leaders which will fulfil those goals more effectively, as Communism argues, and justifies its alternative with plausible and practical programmes of action.

Criticism of religion because some of its officials are corrupt, or evil, or that its professed beliefs are unprovable scientifically, are nothing but noises off from people whose ego thrusting has convinced them that they are better theologians than the religious elite. Such criticism is thus subversive, anti-culture and unscientific and might justifiably be persecuted or even demand persecution if those goals are put at risk.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2012 10:21 am
@Frank Apisa,
Think how much good golf would do you if you laid down this burden of anger against god and christianity, Frank. You'd do much better, though, if you didn't strain yourself for bullshit such as comparing yourself to the hundreds of thousands of Americans who died to end slavery. There's no good reason to see someone so full of hate and anger as equivalent to people who truly had a noble cause. Your cause is rather paltry and mean-spirited, Frank. That's what you should work on.
Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2012 10:38 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
Think how much good golf would do you if you laid down this burden of anger against god and christianity, Frank. You'd do much better, though, if you didn't strain yourself for bullshit such as comparing yourself to the hundreds of thousands of Americans who died to end slavery. There's no good reason to see someone so full of hate and anger as equivalent to people who truly had a noble cause. Your cause is rather paltry and mean-spirited, Frank. That's what you should work on.

Setanta, you are a gem. If you were not here, I’d be tempted to invent someone like you.

I did not compare myself to anyone who died to end slavery. That was one of your concoctions…one of those things you will try to make an unavoidable consequence of what I wrote. Get your jollies doing that…and please do not be offended if I laugh my butt off watching the spectacle…and sharing it with friends.

The last thing in the world I am is mean-spirited, Setanta. My mother was a Christian; I have aunts who are Christian; I have dozens of friends who are Christian…and I love ‘em all. I have relatives and friends who are staunch American conservatives…and I love them also, even though I disagree with them in spades. I see American conservatism and religion in general as a net negative for society…so I speak out against it.

Sorry you see that as “mean-spirited”, Setanta…but for true mean-spirit, you ought to read over your posts during the last several years.

I love ya, Buddy, no matter how often you vent your anger and obvious frustration on me. I actually do treasure the fact that I can count on you being here posting the stuff you post…even though you realize I am getting belly laughs out of it.

Keep comin’ back, Setanta. You make my day.
Setanta

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2012 10:44 am
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:
I did not compare myself to anyone who died to end slavery.

Liar. I told you this thread was a futile exercise. To that, you replied . . .

Frank Apisa wrote:
The push to end slavery in America was once considered a "futile exercise" , Setanta.

You're not very good at this Frank. That's why you could never "invent" someone like me. Your paltry rhetorical skills are not sufficient to invent someone who can shred your pathetic arguments so easily.

You really need to calm down, dump all the hate and anger, and face up to what this is all about. You hate and are angered by the christian god--the things you say about the christian god would get your nose broken if you said them to a stranger in a bar. You have implied that you're on a great mission, although, typcially, you were a little vague about what the mission is.

Give it up, the christians aren't buying your bullshit.
Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2012 11:03 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
Re: Frank Apisa (Post 5117706)
Frank Apisa wrote:
I did not compare myself to anyone who died to end slavery.

Liar. I told you this thread was a futile exercise. To that, you replied . . .

Frank Apisa wrote:
The push to end slavery in America was once considered a "futile exercise" , Setanta.

As I said, you would try to make it sound as though I was comparing myself to those who died to end slavery.

You said what I was doing was a "futile exercise." I noted that ending slavery was once thought of as a "futile exercise." I was going to use, "woman's suffrage" was once considered a futile exercise.

You really have to stop calling people liars, Setanta. It makes you look cheap.

Quote:
You're not very good at this Frank.

Actually, Setanta, I am VERY good at this. That is why you are getting so frustrated. Wink

Quote:

That's why you could never "invent" someone like me.

Ahhh, I really wouldn't want to invent someone like you, Setanta. Anyway, I know you are here for me...so the need will never arise.

Quote:
Your paltry rhetorical skills are not sufficient to invent someone who can shred your pathetic arguments so easily.

Aha, declaring victory again. You do that a lot. You enjoy that? Good for you, Setanta. I am happy that you are happy. Like I said, we are here entertaining each other.

mesquite

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2012 06:18 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
You aren't going to get up a crusade because someone's scripture from thousands of years ago condoned slavery. But more than that, as has been pointed out to you time and again, nothing you are saying will convince the religiously devout. Trying to make yourself look noble over this in fact just makes you look ridiculous. The majority, the overwhelming majority of people in the world believe in some sort of deity. This will not change in your lifetime or mine, not in the lifetimes of the next generation, nor their grandchildren's lifetimes, nor the lifetimes of their grandchildren.

Granted the hardcore religious devout are not likely to change just because of reading one of these threads, but as I told Momma Angel many years ago, for me it is all about sunshine.

I am of the opinion that there is a large number of casually religious people that are only familiar with the cherry picked portions of the Bible that they are presented in Church. They are the ones that I hope will see some of these discussions as thought provoking.

And if a hardcore agnostic like Frank can suddenly see himself as an atheist, then anything is possible.
Setanta

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2012 02:19 am
@Frank Apisa,
No, you're not good at all at rhetoric. I see now that you're switiching from getting angry to getting frustrated. Whatever floats your boat, Frank. It's kind of sad for you that you have to invent emotional states in me in order to feel good about all of this.
Setanta

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2012 02:24 am
@Frank Apisa,
By the way, there is no good historical reason to assume that anyone ever saw ending slavery as a futile exercise. You really, really should never make **** up about history, because you are enomrously ignorant. The southern states were sufficiently anxious about an end to slavery that they focused almost single-mindedly on preserving the institution. They would not vote for the admission of any "free" state unless there were also the admission of a slave state. The three-fifths compromise (read about it sometime) meant that their political power was at stake whenever a new state entered the union. They were enthusiastic supporters of the war with Mexico because they thought that, using the terms of the Missouri compromise (read about it sometime), they would see the admission of several slave states to bolster their political power. No, certainly the southern states never considered an end to slavery to be a futile exercise. What ought to have been glaringly obvious to you was that in their last desperate gasp, they went to war, because the spoils of the Mexican War had not brought them the political clout they believed they needed to preserve slavery. They knew from day one that most people in the United States did not support the institution, and would end it if possible.
Setanta

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2012 02:25 am
@mesquite,
I can't imagine why you would claim that Frank sees himself as an atheist, but thanks for the laugh. Frank has compared himself to the end of slavery, and i really don't see there being much probability of millions flocking to his banner.
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2012 03:30 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
No, you're not good at all at rhetoric. I see now that you're switiching from getting angry to getting frustrated. Whatever floats your boat, Frank. It's kind of sad for you that you have to invent emotional states in me in order to feel good about all of this.

Yeah, Setanta, I am good at this...and you know it. But that's okay. I know you have to insult people in order to feel good about yourself. I don't mind at all. In fact, as I have told you, I actually get great laughs from it.
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2012 03:41 am
@Setanta,
By the way, there is no good historical reason to assume that anyone ever saw ending slavery as a futile exercise. You really, really should never make **** up about history, because you are enomrously (sic) ignorant.

No, Setanta, I am not enormously ignorant. You really, really should not use stuff like that as part of your compulsive insults. It makes you look petty.

Quote:
The southern states were sufficiently anxious about an end to slavery that they focused almost single-mindedly on preserving the institution. They would not vote for the admission of any "free" state unless there were also the admission of a slave state. The three-fifths compromise (read about it sometime) meant that their political power was at stake whenever a new state entered the union. They were enthusiastic supporters of the war with Mexico because they thought that, using the terms of the Missouri compromise (read about it sometime), they would see the admission of several slave states to bolster their political power. No, certainly the southern states never considered an end to slavery to be a futile exercise.

Yeah, Setanta…there were times when people thought slavery would never end in America. In fact, there were times when people thought there would never be an America if anyone tried to eliminate it. But I understand the frustration driving you…and I am enjoying watching you play this thing out.

Quote:
What ought to have been glaringly obvious to you was that in their last desperate gasp, they went to war, because the spoils of the Mexican War had not brought them the political clout they believed they needed to preserve slavery. They knew from day one that most people in the United States did not support the institution, and would end it if possible.

Wow, that should have been glaringly obvious to me? But you just said I was ignorant...enormously ignorant. Kinda stepping on your own favorite lines, aren't you?

In any case, you know so much, Setanta. Gotta wonder why a guy with such a wealth of knowledge would be so anxious to use insults as an essential to his posts. Gotta wonder why a guy of such vast knowledge wants to keep coming back to a thread to debate another person he considers ignorant.

Be sure to keep coming back. You amuse me, Setanta. I love ya, guy.
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2012 03:42 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
I can't imagine why you would claim that Frank sees himself as an atheist, but thanks for the laugh. Frank has compared himself to the end of slavery, and i really don't see there being much probability of millions flocking to his banner.

Now you have me comparing myself to "the end of slavery!"

You really have lost it, ole buddy.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2012 04:59 am
@Frank Apisa,
I didn't figure you were so ignorant as not to have heard of the American civil war. But i'll take your word for it.
Setanta

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2012 05:00 am
@Frank Apisa,
No, you're not good at it at all. Just look at that idiotic signature line of yours.
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2012 07:20 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
I didn't figure you were so ignorant as not to have heard of the American civil war. But i'll take your word for it.

Hey, Setanta, thanks for sticking with me.

I have heard of the American Civil War. I even know that the words should be capitalized. And as you well know, I am not ignorant.

I wonder why you suppose the fact that there was an American Civil War to end slavery supports your position that there was never a day when some people thought ending slavery was a futile exercise.

Jeez...your obsession to try to make me wrong is doing very bad things to your reasoning ability.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2012 07:22 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
No, you're not good at it at all. Just look at that idiotic signature line of yours.

But I am very good at it, Setanta.

And to be honest, I cannot bring up my signature line.

Why do you call so many things idiotic? You ought to stop doing that...it makes you sound as though you learned your debating technique on a playground. (Unless, of course, you did learn it there and have been unable to elevate it to an adult technique.)
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2012 07:24 am
@Setanta,
Hey Setanta,

Thanks for resuming actually posting your responses to me rather than as a general reply. That is a minor, but significant improvement in your demeanor.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2012 08:12 am
@Frank Apisa,
That's rich, coming from you. Playground insults are about all you've got going for you, Frank.

But, whatever you say, Bubba. I'm sure you know best.