Why do you suppose Jesus never condemned slavery?

bulmabriefs144

Reply Sun 17 Oct, 2021 08:27 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
I SAID: Even you cannot suggest there are people alive today who can say for certain that Jesus actually existed...let alone how he died.

No, I never said that (I cannot suggest that).

In fact, I showed you one.

Leadfoot wrote:
bulma, I can attest to the fact that Frank is being 'less than truthful' here.

If you ever deliver what Frank is asking for, he will put you on 'ignore'. I refer here to number three on his list (no reason that at least one God is needed to explain existence) and of course his last claim of willingness to discuss.

But don’t let that stop you, consider it a badge of honor if it ever happens : )

@Leadfoot, this is how Frank dodges questions. He simply pretends he doesn't hear by forgetting the question that he himself asked. He asked, I provided one. I didn't need to provide one, though, the the article I provided already provided both the assertion that most all scholars accept Jesus (even atheist), and the names of these scholars. He didn't bother to read. Then when the evidence didn't add up to his (WRONG) assumptions, he decides to ignore what he just saw.

Asked and answered. Answered and ignored.

Yup. So let me answer a question that you didn't ask. "Why can't I just reject the idea that we can prove there is a God?" You can certainly audit that question, and just be religiously indifferent. But at some point, there's a "horror story" of sorts to deal with.

https://www.teemingbrain.com/2010/08/17/lovecraft-christian-horror-and-weird-fiction/

Quote:
Both “Christian horror” and “Atheist horror” seek to invoke dread in their readers. However, “Christian horror” is the result of the “numinous,” while “Atheist horror” is the result of “nothingness.” “Christian horror” is based on the God Who Is There, while “Atheist horror” is based on the God Who Isn’t. “Christian horror” provides a way of escape; “Atheist horror” cannot. Heck, in the atheist’s worldview, the heroine can escape the clutches of serial killers and zombie hordes. But she must succumb, inevitably, to the Great Void.
Perhaps there is no greater horror than that of an atheistic worldview. Forget blood, gore, and ghoulies. A world without meaning and purpose is the ultimate horror. A universe that arose by chance, exists without meaning, where lives plummet toward annihilation is the worst kind of horror. The child huddled in bed, fixated upon the dark closet, becomes the adult gaping into the void of what, he believes, is a godless universe. And unlike the Christian novelist, the atheist author has nothing but more “dark closets” to offer their readers.

Sweet dreams!
izzythepush

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2021 01:29 am
@Frank Apisa,
Look at iconography, we have accurate representations of Alexander and the Caesars busts and statues all over the place, but for Jesus there's just a painting of Cesare Borgia.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2021 02:40 am
@bulmabriefs144,
bulmabriefs144 wrote:

Quote:
I SAID: Even you cannot suggest there are people alive today who can say for certain that Jesus actually existed...let alone how he died.

No, I never said that (I cannot suggest that).

In fact, I showed you one.

You are impossible to understand, Bulma, because you are THE MOST INCOHERENT POSTER WITH WHOM I HAVE EVER CONVERSED.

Babble on. I'll comment from time to time, but I will not expect anything of value from you. You are constrained by your blind guesses about the REALITY...and I am more than happy to live with the fact that I do not know if any of the **** you blindly guess is correct or completely nonsense.
snood

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2021 03:26 am
I have my doubts about whether any of YOU fuckers actually exist.
But, not to worry.
I have those same doubts about my damn self from time to time.
bulmabriefs144

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2021 05:22 am
@snood,
No, no, you can always tell about yourself. You're seeing all this. Your body might not be real, but someone is getting fed images.

It's other ppl you can't trust.
0 Replies

Jasper10

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2021 05:28 am
@snood,
The Buddha had the same problem...He could go no further than believe himself to be consciousness and nothing more and therefore concluded that SELF didn't exist .....he therefore remained a prisoner of consciousness...
bulmabriefs144

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2021 05:40 am
@Frank Apisa,
If you learned to read properly, you'd be able to infer about any gaps in what I said.

I know what I'm thinking, so I use symbological shorthand, and don't always finish thoughts, but leave it to the reader to piece together. I also, don't, always know, the best place to put commas (okay that was intentional). So reading my stuff might be an issue sometimes.

But it's not just my fault. It appears obvious you don't understand symbolism or metaphor, you don't look at links, and you can barely read. Religious types don't have to directly say something. They know source material from least one religion. I can probably give you stuff from about three, as well as a number of pop culture references.
It's like you've been stuck in a cave all your life, with people only showing you shadows. If you ever went outside, you'd see the sunlight, and wonder why you ever thought any of what you see now is real. If you were a little less ignorant, you'd be like "Oh! Plato's Cave!" But I suspect long before that, you glared at me like " What you talking about, Willis? "

I'd maybe expect you to get that reference from Avenue Q. But not from its original source (Diff'rent Strokes). Or even know what the source was.
snood

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2021 06:00 am
@Jasper10,
Jasper10 wrote:

The Buddha had the same problem...He could go no further than believe himself to be consciousness and nothing more and therefore concluded that SELF didn't exist .....he therefore remained a prisoner of consciousness...

Hey, cool company. Me and The Buddha.
Jasper10

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2021 06:16 am
@snood,
....it was just a Buddha guess (hope) though so he may not be as cool as you think he is.…....just another fool....
snood

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2021 07:56 am
@Jasper10,
He was pretty cool, from what I’ve heard. I mean, that is if he actually existed.
Jasper10

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2021 08:06 am
@snood,
Heard from who...another fool?
snood

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2021 08:23 am
@Jasper10,

Nice talking to you Jasper.
Jasper10

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2021 08:34 am
@snood,
....things have moved on from that prisoner of consciousness stuff that the Buddha became a victim of....It up to you whether you want to put you fingers in you ears and do the lal..la...la's...
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2021 11:33 am
@bulmabriefs144,
bulmabriefs144 wrote:

If you learned to read properly, you'd be able to infer about any gaps in what I said.

I know what I'm thinking, so I use symbological shorthand, and don't always finish thoughts, but leave it to the reader to piece together. I also, don't, always know, the best place to put commas (okay that was intentional). So reading my stuff might be an issue sometimes.

But it's not just my fault. It appears obvious you don't understand symbolism or metaphor, you don't look at links, and you can barely read. Religious types don't have to directly say something. They know source material from least one religion. I can probably give you stuff from about three, as well as a number of pop culture references.
It's like you've been stuck in a cave all your life, with people only showing you shadows. If you ever went outside, you'd see the sunlight, and wonder why you ever thought any of what you see now is real. If you were a little less ignorant, you'd be like "Oh! Plato's Cave!" But I suspect long before that, you glared at me like " What you talking about, Willis? "

I'd maybe expect you to get that reference from Avenue Q. But not from its original source (Diff'rent Strokes). Or even know what the source was.

As I said, you are THE most incoherent poster I've ever dealt with...

...and this rationalization post does not change things.

I am intelligent enough to have written an op ed sized piece that the NY Times published...and a full-page MY TURN for Newsweek Magazine, for which they paid me $1000. I have also had op ed pieces published in several major newspapers around the country over the years. That was all back when you actually had to write coherently to even be considered for publication...not now, when all you have to do is have a keyboard that functions.

You are a phony, Bulma...a loud-mouthed phony.

Anyway...I am still willing to give you a chance to show that you can be coherent (without all that rationalization bullshit) if you want.

Let's take my stance regarding the question of "Does at least one god exist...or are there no gods." And since you seem disposed to define "god(s)" the way I do, we will use: God, meaning the entity (or entities) responsible for the creation of what we humans call 'the physical universe'...IF THERE IS SUCH AN ENTITY."

Let's take it slowly...point by point:

My first point: I do not know if any GOD (or gods) exist or not;

You go. Your comment on that specific...if you have one and if you can force yourself to express it coherently.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2021 02:02 pm
@snood,
Seems that Jasper is not having a great day.
Jasper10

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2021 02:19 pm
@glitterbag,
My day has been absolutely fine glitterbag….Buddhism is all about inward meditation that results in duality or “prisoner of consciousness”….period….there are many people who are lost within it.

The laughable thing is that modern science claims that we are nothing more than consciousness as well even though in parallel it admits it does not have a clue what consciousness is.

We are not consciousness….. we just experience different types of consciousness.

SELF exists and makes choices….one chooses to either accept or reject God…because if there is no God then it doesn’t matter anyway now does it.
snood

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2021 02:38 pm
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:

Seems that Jasper is not having a great day.

I can humor gibberish with the best of them. But when the gibberish starts being taunting and trolling, I put him on ignore.
Jasper10

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2021 02:46 pm
@snood,
Fair enough ..apologies if I have offended you…I was just challenging you with a different view point…..
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2021 03:20 pm
@Jasper10,
You don't understand Buddhism,or anything else for that matter.

Gibberish is a very polite term for the bollocks you spout.
Jasper10

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2021 10:58 pm
@izzythepush,
I know all about Buddhism and the dualist nature of it…..and what a load of nonsense it is…..Nobody can prove that SELF doesn’t exist…no more than they can prove that God doesn’t exist….It’s a self deluding practice at the end of the day pampered by people who believe that it confirms that a God doesn’t exist.Science hasn’t a clue what consciousness is and neither do the Buddhist….so to claim that we are nothing more than consciousness is farcical.

Only a fool claims there is no God…if that’s the claim then prove it….lol…