We are not alone...

Krumple

Reply Wed 25 Apr, 2012 01:33 pm
@Procrustes,
Procrustes wrote:
I'm interested to hear what people think of life outside our planet, and life in general for that matter. Any kind of feedback is welome.

This might sound repetitive but I think the universe is full of life, intelligent and non-intelligent. However; I do NOT think any of it is visiting us on earth.

Given the number of stars in the universe, and how many stars we are finding within our own galaxy to have planets. But not only that but how many have earth sized planets in the goldylocks zone is amazingly high we are discovering. So the chances are extremely high if this ratio continues to be discovered. Could we assume that every galaxy has such a high ratio? If they do then the chances increase dramatically.

Even though I am leaning on certainty that there is not only life but other intelligent life in our universe, I do not think it is traveling to the earth. I don't buy any, not a single alien story that I have read or seen on videos. There are no credible stories and a HUGE majority are hoaxes which don't help and lead to the conclusion that many people are just WANTING it to be true so they make the **** up.
Setanta

Reply Wed 25 Apr, 2012 05:41 pm
@Krumple,
I see no good reason to assume that earth-like planets in any alleged "goldylocks" zone can automatically be assumed to be cradles of life, nor that dissimilar planets may not be. That being said, i agree that there is no reason to assume that anyone is visiting us, or has any reason to be interested in our star and its planets. We are just beginning to learn just how expensive in energy and materials interstellar flight like will be. Van Neumann machines make sense, "manned" missions do not.
Krumple

Reply Wed 25 Apr, 2012 06:39 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

I see no good reason to assume that earth-like planets in any alleged "goldylocks" zone can automatically be assumed to be cradles of life, nor that dissimilar planets may not be. That being said, i agree that there is no reason to assume that anyone is visiting us, or has any reason to be interested in our star and its planets. We are just beginning to learn just how expensive in energy and materials interstellar flight like will be. Van Neumann machines make sense, "manned" missions do not.

I wasn't assuming that earth sized planets in the goldylock position would certainly result in life. I am saying that since it happened once this way then given the huge number of findings, the chances of life developing becomes much more probable. This leaves out the composition of the planet because that is also a factor. What if the earth size planet had no water at all which is what we think is essential for life? Or the atmosphere is not suitable for life as we know it? We know that the earth itself has not always had the same atmosphere.

When you are provided with similar aspects to a "working" example, ie earth then the chances of having a similar result go up in probablity. It doesn't dictate that it will happen, it just means it is more likely to occur again.

0 Replies

Procrustes

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2012 07:30 am
@rosborne979,
Just saw the trailer for that new movie Battleship and the bad alien guys had reptilian eyes. If you know of any David Icke's work then you might see the connection that I'm talking about. (Mind you if you type in David Icke and reptilians on youtube, be warned cos his ideas are pretty far fetched) But then again, maybe it's just me...
rosborne979

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2012 01:46 pm
@Procrustes,
Procrustes wrote:

Just saw the trailer for that new movie Battleship and the bad alien guys had reptilian eyes. If you know of any David Icke's work then you might see the connection that I'm talking about. (Mind you if you type in David Icke and reptilians on youtube, be warned cos his ideas are pretty far fetched) But then again, maybe it's just me...
You're right, David Icke is a whacko. But I can see where you might see a connection between conspiracy theorists and Hollywood. However, I suspect that the reality is that both Hollywood and Conspiracy theorists simply have limited imaginations when it comes to creating aliens.
0 Replies