Oh boy, here we go again - another Gulf of Tonkin lie.

Robert Gentel

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2011 08:33 pm
@Robert Gentel,
More on the campaign of assassination that our ally is waging under our protective wing:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masoud_Alimohammadi

Quote:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/54/Masoud_Alimohammadi.jpg

Masoud Alimohammadi (Persian: مسعود علی‌محمدی) (August 24, 1959 – 12 January 2010) was an Iranian quantum field theorist and elementary-particle physicist and a distinguished professor of elementary particle physics at Department of Physics of University of Tehran.[1] He was assassinated on the morning of 12 January 2010 (some minutes before 8 o'clock, local time) in front of his home in Tehran, while leaving for university.[2] His burial is arranged at Emamzādeh Ali-Akbar Chizar [3] in Tehran for Thursday 14 January 2010.[4][5]

At 07:58 am, a booby-trapped motorbike parked near his car exploded while he was leaving home in Gheytariyeh neighbourhood of northern Tehran, for university.[19][20] The windows of residences around the scientist's home were shattered by the force of remote controlled explosion, and it has been reported that two other people had also been injured in the blast.[19][21][22]
Initial reports of who has been behind the bombing were disputed. Iranian state media accused Israel and the US of responsibility, while the US State Department called the allegation "absurd".[23] Ynetnews noted, that for the major Israeli news outlet, there is no known connection between his participation in the SESAME, an international synchrotron-radiation facility located in Jordan, and the assassination.[24] According to US intelligence sources Israel is running a secret war against Iran, among techniques used are the killing of important persons in the Iranian atomic energy program.[25]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Majid_Shahriari

Quote:
Majid Shahriari (c. 1970 – 29 November 2010)[1] was a nuclear engineer who worked with the Iranian Atomic Energy Commission.
He specialized in neutron transport, a phenomenon that lies at the heart of nuclear chain reactions in bombs and reactors. According to The Guardian he "had no known links to banned nuclear work".[2] According to Al Jazeera he was a quantum physicist and was not a political figure at all" and he "was not involved in Iran's nuclear programme".[3] According to Ars Technica, Majid Shahriari was the top scientist and senior manager of Iran's nuclear program.[4]
Some Iranian media reports reports said he taught at the Supreme National Defense University, which is run by the Iranian Army, according to the New York Times.[5] Shahriari published dozens of esoteric conference reports and peer-reviewed articles on nuclear research.
On 29 November 2010, unidentified assailants riding motorcycles launched separate bomb attacks, killing Shahriari and injuring nuclear scientist Fereydoon Abbasi, a professor at Shahid Beheshti University where Shahriari also taught. Dr. Abbasi's wife was also hurt.[6] The killers had attached bombs to the professors' cars and detonated them from a distance.[5]
Iranian officials have variously blamed Israel and the United States for assassinating Shahriari. Saeed Jalili, Iran's chief nuclear negotiator, was quoted as saying Western nations "exercise terrorism to liquidate Iran's nuclear scientists."[7]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daryoush_Rezaei

Quote:
Darioush Rezaeinejad (Persian: داریوش رضایی‌نژاد; c. 1976 – 23 July 2011; also Daryoush Rezaei or Dariush Rezaei-Nejad) was an Iranian shot dead in east Tehran by gunmen in July 2011 while he and his wife waited for their child outside a kindergarten.[1] At the time of his killing he was described by officials as a "nuclear scientist" and an academic associated with Iran's atomic activities, but days later as a postgraduate electrical engineering masters student at Tehran's K.N.Toosi University of Technology, who was waiting to defend his thesis.[2][3]
When news of the assassination broke, the speaker of Iran's parliament, Ali Larijani, suggested the United States and Israel had killed Rezaeinejad. A U.S. State Department spokeswoman, Victoria Nuland, stated, "We were not involved. Our sympathies are obviously with the family of the victim."[4] Rezaeinejad is the fourth scientist "allegedly associated" with Iran's nuclear weapons program to have been killed by bomb, gunshot or poisoning since 2007.[5]

Those are the most public accusations, but it's pretty clear that somebody is engaged in a covert war with Iran, murdering their scientists and releasing the first cyber weapon in recorded history against them (Stuxnet) and when your ally goes around murdering people with a smug smile on its face*, you don't get to act all outraged at the notion that they might try to reciprocate.

And the particular connection I found most interesting is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shahram_Amiri

Quote:
Shahram Amiri is an Iranian nuclear scientist who disappeared from Iran for a little over a year under disputed circumstances. In spring 2009 he disappeared while apparently[1] on pilgrimage to Mecca, Saudi Arabia. About a year later two videos appeared, each purporting to be declarations by Amiri, but with contradictory stories. One showed him (or the person claiming to be him), stating that he had been kidnapped and tortured by Saudis and Americans; the other that he was in America of his own free will. In July 2010, Shahram Amiri reappeared in the American capital, Washington DC, at the Iran interests section of the Embassy of Pakistan, seeking help to return to Tehran.[2] Shortly thereafter he spoke at a press conference in Tehran telling journalists he had been kidnapped, tortured and bribed to cooperate with the CIA, but had refused.[3] He is now reportedly on trial in Iran for treason.[3]

And now someone targeted a Saudi diplomat on American soil. Let's at least not pretend this is all out of the blue, and that only the "bad guys" carry out these assassinations.

* http://www.spiegel.de/international/world/0,1518,777899,00.html

Quote:
"Israel is not responding," Israeli Defense Minister Ehud Barak said earlier this week when asked if his country had been involved in the latest slaying of an Iranian nuclear scientist. It didn't exactly sound like a denial, and the smile on his face suggested Israel isn't too bothered by suspicions that it is responsible for a series of murders of physicists involved in the controversial Iranian nuclear program.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 15 Oct, 2011 03:04 am
@Robert Gentel,
And that's only the stuff we know about.
High Seas

Reply Sat 15 Oct, 2011 11:36 am
@Robert Gentel,
Did you check the link about the journalist found in a dam in Pakistan? Unlikely his countrymen killed him. His publication knew his schedule, though.
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Sat 15 Oct, 2011 12:22 pm
@izzythepush,
Not sure who is meant by "we" in that sentence - but this is as good a place as any to warn that some publications (including Haaretz and related online rags) place tracking cookies on your computer that no standard scan and deletion program will detect or erase; Robert Gentel is sure to know more on that topic.
Robert Gentel

Reply Sat 15 Oct, 2011 12:24 pm
@High Seas,
That I do, but all I have to say about that is that you are being unduly paranoid.
High Seas

Reply Sat 15 Oct, 2011 12:25 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Are you willing to bet about any of the publications mentioned (even indirectly) on this thread? If so, how much?
Robert Gentel

Reply Sat 15 Oct, 2011 12:31 pm
@High Seas,
Bet about what? It sounds like you want to bet about whether they put such tracking cookies there (they do) but that isn't my point, my point is that you are acting paranoid about the potential harm the cookies can cause in the first place.

To illustrate my point, what is the worst horror story you know of with cookies? What, in your mind, is the worst that can happen?
High Seas

Reply Sat 15 Oct, 2011 12:48 pm
@Robert Gentel,
It's not a matter of the "worst case scenario", it's not wanting any single website to be able to track visits and log keystrokes made on any other website.
Robert Gentel

Reply Sat 15 Oct, 2011 01:23 pm
@High Seas,
In other words you can think of no concrete ill that you are warning others off these news sites about (keystroke logging is reaching for straws, that is a separate security issue that pretty much has nothing to do with cookies). That is why I said you were being unduly paranoid. Because all that generally happens is just that they start serving you ads that are influenced on what you visit. But you can usually easily opt out from it, and bringing this up on a completely unrelated thread to scare viewers of news articles is just paranoid.

What's the worst that will happen to them? They might see different ads, is all. If you think that's a bad thing then don't be a fear monger about them visiting news sites, show them how to simply opt out (e.g. http://www.google.com/privacy/ads/).
High Seas

Reply Sat 15 Oct, 2011 01:40 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Seeing different ads isn't the worst case scenario - on that, follow the discussion on Amazon's new tablet (which has an opt-out, btw, though you have to look for it). You're thinking of cookies that do nothing but track, and these aren't at all the ones I had in mind - sorry if I didn't make that clear, but my mention of keylogging should have given you a clue even in the absence of clarity on my part! If that's all settled now, I'm still curious how much you will bet.
Robert Gentel

Reply Sat 15 Oct, 2011 01:54 pm
@High Seas,
High Seas wrote:
Oh, no, seeing different ads isn't the worst case scenario - on that, please follow the discussion on Amazon's new tablet (which has an opt-out, btw, though you have to look for it).

Amazon's tablet has nothing to do with cookies either.

Quote:
You're thinking of cookies that do nothing but track, and these aren't at all the ones I had in mind - sorry if I didn't make that clear, but my mention of keylogging should have given you a clue even in the absence of clarity on my part!

And what I am trying to explain to you is that tracking is the only thing that cookies can do. Cookies can not log keystrokes.

Cookies are just text files with a unique identifier, that is all that is also sent to a site when you visit it. The site can use that unique identifier to do some things that can impact a user's privacy (and the majority of the time this is in the form of targeted advertising) but you simply can't do stuff like log keystrokes with cookies. And that is my point, cookies just don't do what you think they do. You are being paranoid about cookies.

But if you still don't get it, I'll have to live with failing to convince you because I don't want to derail this thread further.
High Seas

Reply Sat 15 Oct, 2011 01:56 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Not wanting to derail thread either I'll stop here - as must have been clear to you by now "cookies" was simply used descriptively. Ditto for Amazon tablet.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2011 02:07 am
@Robert Gentel,
Quote:
And let's just remember in all this outrage over assassinations just how much the west has been doing that these days, and how that may not be one of its most brilliant ideas.
Almost everyday...and as of two weeks ago we even assassinate American citizens now. The intell community with their drone aircraft loaded with the best precision munitions we have are doing a bang up job carrying out orders to kill.
0 Replies

revelette

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2011 08:05 am
Iran says happy to examine U.S. plot allegations

Quote:
"We are prepared to examine any issue, even if fabricated, seriously and patiently, and we have called on America to submit to us any information in regard to this scenario," Foreign Minister Ali Akbar Salehi was quoted as saying by the official IRNA news agency.

U.S. authorities said last week they had foiled a plot to kill Saudi's ambassador to Washington, Adel al-Jubeir, and had arrested an Iranian-U.S. joint national -- news that raised tensions between Tehran, its Arab neighbors and the West.

0 Replies