Would you exit reality to live in a virtual world of happiness?

chai2

Tue 11 Oct, 2011 08:18 am
@wayne,
wayne wrote:

One of my favorites Smile

Ditto.

It has such a Quentin Tarintino feel to it.

Thanks set.
DrewDad

Tue 11 Oct, 2011 08:19 am
@RvP10,
If no one's ever come out of the Happiness box... how do we really know what's happening?

Sounds like the premise for a Stephen King novel.
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Tue 11 Oct, 2011 08:23 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
0 Replies

izzythepush

Tue 11 Oct, 2011 08:37 am
@OmSigDAVID,
I thought you left reality behind a long time ago Dave.
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Tue 11 Oct, 2011 08:40 am
0 Replies

Setanta

Tue 11 Oct, 2011 09:27 am
@chai2,
I liked that song when it came out, but i had completely forgotten about until Djjd posted it in a thread a month or two ago. I thought it was a perfect fit here.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Tue 11 Oct, 2011 10:55 am
All (levels of) experience are real. Even mirages are real...real mirages.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Tue 11 Oct, 2011 10:56 am
izzythepush

Tue 11 Oct, 2011 11:04 am
@JLNobody,
JLNobody wrote:

I'm not quite sure what you're trying to say here. Of course mirages are real, they're an atmospheric phenomenon. Are you trying to say that hallucinations are real, because a mirage is not an hallucination?
Fil Albuquerque

Tue 11 Oct, 2011 11:53 am
@izzythepush,
...maybe he just meant all phenomena are equally legitimate which I agree with...would that pose a bigger challenge to your mind ?
Fil Albuquerque

Tue 11 Oct, 2011 12:10 pm
Fil Albuquerque

Tue 11 Oct, 2011 02:49 pm
0 Replies

igm

Tue 11 Oct, 2011 03:34 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Thanks... all good links!
0 Replies

JLNobody

Tue 11 Oct, 2011 06:04 pm
@izzythepush,
They're real halucinations.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Tue 11 Oct, 2011 06:08 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
That's right. Everything is what it is. Our problem is not to mistaken each phenomenon for something else. When we think that a hallucination is other than a hallucination it causes trouble. And when we try to swim in or drink from a water-mirage....well.
JLNobody

Tue 11 Oct, 2011 06:08 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
That's right. Everything is what it is. Our problem is not to mistaken each phenomenon for something else. When we think that a hallucination is other than a hallucination it causes trouble. And when we try to swim in or drink from a water-mirage....well.
izzythepush

Wed 12 Oct, 2011 01:15 am
@JLNobody,
JLNobody wrote:

And when we try to swim in or drink from a water-mirage....well.

That only occurs in films, a mirage is a reflection of what's over the horizon. You see them at sea and in the desert because of clear atmospheric conditions. I saw the mirage of Table Moutain when I sailed to Capetown. You see the mirage first, then the real thing.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Wed 12 Oct, 2011 11:15 pm
@JLNobody,
I take that back. I said that when we think a hallucination is other than a hallucination it causes trouble. Of course that it is not so; it's our interpretation that causes trouble. That's why philosophy is important--the practice of interpretation.
0 Replies

G H

Thu 13 Oct, 2011 08:31 am
@RvP10,
Quote:
Would you choose to live like this for the rest of your life? If not, why not? The really serious question, then, is not whether to try the Experience Machine temporarily, but whether to enter it forever. What do you think?

The afterlife rewards of some religions are intelligently designed or theo-factured paradises, as opposed to the stochastic processes that produced the everyday world. So if you were a follower of one of those creeds, what the hell would be the difference? Since such a person would supposedly be eagerly anticipating that other brand of artificial happiness to begin with. The upside of a technological virtual reality is that the threat of being condemned to a hell would be removed, with the downside being eventual death of the original body (unless the Matrix magic could also remedy that).
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Thu 13 Oct, 2011 05:56 pm
@RvP10,
Quote:
Would you exit reality to live in a virtual world of happiness?
I have not yet read this thread,
but I think that we do this when we attend the movies,
or read a novel.

David