What does "Get Smart" mean?

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2011 07:55 am

Context:

National awareness campaigns to educate the public and health-care workers about appropriate outpatient antibiotic use have been undertaken in many countries 21. The effect of these campaigns in curbing antibiotic use is difficult to assess, but seems positive 21. The ECDC holds a European Antibiotic Awareness Day (EAAD) on Nov 18 each year. 22

In 2010, Canada joined the EAAD, and the CDC Get Smart programme was highlighted during the same week in November as the EAAD. Under the Swedish presidency of the European Union, a cooperative venture was set up between the USA and Europe in 2009 (the Transatlantic Task Force for Antibiotic Resistance). WHO has also voiced its serious concern by designating antimicrobial resistance as the focus of World Health Day on April 7, 2011.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 2,673 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2011 08:02 am
In general, the term get smart means that one is enjoined to learn the truth about something. However, in this case, the writer (who is obviously not an American), refers to a specific program at the Centers for Disease Control which has "Get Smart" as a title. You can read about CDC's "Get Smart about Healthcare" program by clicking here.
maxdancona

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2011 08:03 am
@oristarA,
Get Smart here sounds like the name of a program. It is a play on a common expression. The literal meaning is "become intelligent" but often means to "wise up" or to figure something out that should have already been obvious.

oristarA

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2011 08:52 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

In general, the term get smart means that one is enjoined to learn the truth about something. However, in this case, the writer (who is obviously not an American), refers to a specific program at the Centers for Disease Control which has "Get Smart" as a title. You can read about CDC's "Get Smart about Healthcare" program by clicking here.

I've read through the content your link offers.

I wonder whether the name "Get Smart" has any relationship with the famous film Get Smart:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Get_Smart
oristarA

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2011 08:53 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Get Smart here sounds like the name of a program. It is a play on a common expression. The literal meaning is "become intelligent" but often means to "wise up" or to figure something out that should have already been obvious.

Thank you.

Wise up hits the point. Has it borrowed the idea from the film name Get Smart?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2011 09:15 am
@oristarA,
I doubt it. By the way, the film is based on a television series in the 1960s. The expression "get smart" is older than either the television series or the motion picture, and is in sufficiently common use that CDC could think of it without reference to the film.
0 Replies