The Corporate Class fits another Speaker with a GAG (Hank Williams Jr)

engineer

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2011 06:35 pm
I'm not sure what you want here. It sounds like you want the government to intervene in a private contract between ESPN and Williams by stepping all over ESPN's rights to hire who they choose. How is that government respecting citizens' rights? Williams' right to free speech has been fully protected. He can go on national TV and disparage anyone he wants and the government will not hassle him in any way. That's the right the Constitution guarantees. I'm not sure how you can use this event to support your position that the government has somehow failed us.
sozobe

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2011 06:38 pm
It really looks like ESPN was already thinking that 20 years of Hank was enough, and this might be more of an excuse ("there we go, he said something stupid about Obama and Hitler, here's our chance to lower the boom") than an excess of PCness per se.
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2011 06:42 pm
@engineer,
Quote:
I'm not sure what you want here. It sounds like you want the government to intervene in a private contract between ESPN and Williams by stepping all over ESPN's rights to hire who they choose
I want Hank Williams Jr to take the stage to object to his treatment by ESPN, and I want for the people to support him. I want for our leaders to make a public stand that abusing the citizens rights to take part in their democracy is morally wrong, and to take the position that we need to be able to talk about our differences and where we want to go without punishing those who dont agree with us.

This would be a good start.
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2011 06:44 pm
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:

It really looks like ESPN was already thinking that 20 years of Hank was enough, and this might be more of an excuse ("there we go, he said something stupid about Obama and Hitler, here's our chance to lower the boom") than an excess of PCness per se.
So lying is less morally wrong than is being hyper selective about who you do business with? Would you mind walking be through that logic please?
engineer

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2011 06:47 pm
@hawkeye10,
So you want elected officials to denounce one group of Americans who exercised its rights in defense of another citizen who was exercising his? ESPN is fully within its rights to fire Williams. From a government standpoint, this is a private matter. Isn't asking the government or its officials to pressure ESPN the exact same slippery slope you complain about on other issues?

I'm with you that Williams should have been able to say "Hilter" without having job action taken against him, but I don't think government has any say in restricting either party.
sozobe

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2011 07:17 pm
@hawkeye10,
I'm not giving a value judgment one way or another. I watch ESPN when a game I want to watch is on ESPN, no particular loyalty or anything.

Just, this is mostly cast as an overreaction to what Hank Williams said -- I think (from what I've read) that it's more likely that it was the straw that broke the camel's back, and they were already looking to can him. That's not dishonesty exactly -- the straw existed, they didn't make it up -- the point is context.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2011 07:19 pm
@engineer,
Quote:
From a government standpoint, this is a private matter
Then the government is wrong.....punishment of its citizens for taking part in democracy is the governments business, it has very little business that is more important than protecting its citizens from abuse handed out by the holders of wealth, as many a king figured out too late as the citizens rebelled against the abuses of the landowners and rubbed out the monarchy at the same time.

The American government looks the other way as the corporate class abuses the American citizen at its own peril.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2011 09:38 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:
In addition to being a private citizen, Mr. Williams is also a brand. He damaged his brand, and now he's paying the price.

Maybe he would if we were talking about his father's brand. The younger Hank Williams, by contrast, has long branded himself as a professional redneck hillibilly. To him, being fired by ESPN for saying rednecky things is probably a badge of honor. It props up his maverick cred.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2011 10:40 pm
@Thomas,
DrewDad wrote:
In addition to being a private citizen, Mr. Williams is also a brand. He damaged his brand, and now he's paying the price.
Thomas wrote:
Maybe he would if we were talking about his father's brand.
The younger Hank Williams, by contrast, has long branded himself as a professional redneck hillibilly.
To him, being fired by ESPN for saying rednecky things is probably a badge of honor. It props up his maverick cred.
Yes, that makes sense,
but that apology was a stupid thing to do. By your reasoning: that hurt him, showed him YELLOW bellied.

David
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2011 05:44 pm
Quote:
Hank Williams Jr. has written a song criticizing Fox & Friends, but he's returning to the Fox Network on Tuesday (Oct. 11) for an appearance on Hannity in the aftermath of his split with ESPN's Monday Night Football. Williams will also appear Tuesday on ABC's The View. The controversy began last week during a satellite interview on Fox & Friends in which Williams called President Obama "the enemy" and compared the president and House Speaker John Boehner playing golf together to Adolf Hitler playing golf with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu. ESPN responded by removing Williams' familiar "are you ready for some football" introduction to its Monday Night Football telecasts. According to The Associated Press, Williams has written and recorded "Keep the Change," whose lyrics suggest a boycott of Fox & Friends and ESPN. The lyrics include lines such as, "So Fox & Friends wanna put me down/Ask for my opinion/Twist it all around." He finishes the verse: "Well, two can play that gotcha game, you'll see." Whoopi Goldberg and Joy Behar of The View are among those who have defended Williams' right of freedom of speech. "Whoopi and Joy understood what I was saying," Williams said in a message on his website. "After watching the clip of their show, I knew I needed to talk to them first." He posted the audio track of "Keep the Change" on his website Monday afternoon and is offering it as a free download for 48 hours.

http://www.cmt.com/news/news-in-brief/1672263/hank-williams-jr-records-song-about-his-fox-friends-experience.jhtml

Quote:
Wearing a New York Yankees/Mickey Mantle jersey and orange-colored sunglasses, Williams took several shots at Disney-owned ESPN, saying at one point, "Mickey is a mean mouse." Though he insisted he was misunderstood and was using an analogy between Hitler and Obama to make a political point, he declined to apologize or take back his earlier statements.

When co-host Joy Behar said that mentioning Hitler in his Obama statement was "treacherous" and that he could have mentioned Stalin or another controversial world figure, Williams replied, "I didn't go to Harvard. I'm not smart enough to know the difference."

Williams kept repeating that ESPN had violated his constitutional rights: "I guess it's called stepping on the toes of free speech." Noting that ABC, like ESPN, is owned by the Walt Disney Company, host Barbara Walters pointed out ESPN was making a point in showing Williams the potential consequences of free speech, Williams clapped his hands: "That's good. I applaud them. That's their freedom of speech."

"All My Rowdy Friends," the theme song sung by Williams, was pulled from the broadcast after the "Fox & Friends" segment.

One of the more bizarre moments in "The View" interview came after the panel pointed out a phrase from ESPN's statement cutting its ties with Williams: "The success of "Monday Night Football' has always been about the games, and that will continue."

Williams replied with a quote he said President Harry Truman made in the Rose Garden in 1948. "He was asked a political question and he said, 'Son, never kick a cow turd on a hot day.' The bottom line, folks, is, Mickey is a mean mouse. He stepped into this pile — ESPN, and how he is doing this." He stood and started shaking his arm as he were trying to get rid of something.

He then turned and pointed to Mickey Mantle's name on his jersey: "This is my Mickey, right here."

Near the end of the interview, Williams said he had recorded a new song about the furor, "Keep The Change," that had been downloaded 100,000 times since Monday afternoon. He then announced, "As of May 1 in 2012, ladies and gentlemen, me and my song will be free agents. America is a country of choice and options, and I have choice and options."

Williams gave his summary of the situation: "Disney, ABC, ESPN, me and the opening of 'Monday Night Football' are like the Spanish-American war. They're history.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/showtracker/2011/10/hank-williams-jr-slams-espn-and-disney-mickey-is-a-mean-mouse.html
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2011 05:46 pm

Did he have much on his mind to say ?
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2011 05:54 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

He has certainly refused to skunk off with his tail between his legs as the script calls for....
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2011 05:57 pm
@hawkeye10,

OmSigDAVID wrote:

hawkeye10 wrote:
He has certainly refused to skunk off with his tail between his legs as the script calls for....
Really? Then Y did he apologize ??
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2011 06:05 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
it was not really an apology, it was " this is why I said it and I am sorry if you are offended". He makes it clear now that he is not going to apologize, because he says that he was not the one wrong here.
Fido

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2011 07:00 am
@hawkeye10,
Sorry if you don't like it department of non apologies apologies, please....

Technically, as in Plato's Apology, an apology is only an explanation, which should be enough if some one is in the right, as in the case of Socrates, was not...
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2011 08:21 am
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

It wasn't a real apology to begin with, just one of those non-apology apologies. Here is how Reuters cites it:

Reuters wrote:
"The thought of the leaders of both parties jukin and high fiven on a golf course, while so many families are struggling to get by simply made me boil over and make a dumb statement, and I am very sorry if it offended anyone," he wrote. (Emphasis added---T.)

Source

Reading between the lines of another paragraph in the article, I'm guessing that royalty payments from ESPN might have motivated Williams to apologize (kind of).

Reuters wrote:
After his "All My Rowdy Friends" song was yanked from the "Monday Night Football" opening by ESPN later that day, Williams issued a statement acknowledging that his "analogy was extreme" but insisting it was intended to illustrate how ludicrous he thought it was for Obama and Boehner to team up at golf. (Emphasis added---T.)

And, just to recall what we're talking about, here is the original offense:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eF6vCv13bw
JTT

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2011 08:25 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:

Hank Williams Jr, surely you jest.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2011 09:08 am
@hawkeye10,
David wrote:
hawkeye10 wrote:
it was not really an apology, it was " this is why I said it and I am sorry if you are offended".
He makes it clear now that he is not going to apologize, because he says that he was not the one wrong here.
I remain at a loss to understand Y anyone shoud apologize for saying that people of very different opinions,
are unlikely to play golf together. He did not allege that obama & hitler did anything similarly.

David
JTT

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2011 09:24 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
I remain at a loss to understand Y anyone shoud apologize for saying that people of very different opinions,
are unlikely to play golf together. He did not allege that obama & hitler did anything similarly.

I agree with you, Dave.

There are many things where he could have made a legitimate comparison between Hitler and Obama , for example, he could have noted that Obama has continued the two illegal invasions of two sovereign nations [started by the 1st class war criminal, George W Bush] just as Hitler had done.

Of course there are others, but you get my point.
DrewDad

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2011 09:27 am
@hawkeye10,
The guy sounds marginally coherent, at best.

Crazy doesn't keep him from being a good musician, and can certainly be entertaining, but I doubt crazy is the image that ESPN is looking for.
0 Replies