Ragman

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2011 06:44 am
Just heard on a news show that the most common birthday is today, October 5th. The theory is that it's a result of it being 9 months forward of New Year's Eve.

Talk amongst yourselves.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,495 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Sturgis

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2011 06:55 am
@Ragman,
I know of 1 person born on this date and 3 born on 6th. Add that with the ones on the 15 and 13th and 12th and I still don't buy it.

Curious where your infor. was from. According to this piece from the NYTimes back in 2006, September 16 was most popular (at least from 1973-1999). They place October 5 at #79.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/19/business//20leonhardt-table.html
Ragman

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2011 07:19 am
@Sturgis,
My intent was to start a discussion. Feel free to pick it apart. I imply no scholarly research. Sorry to say that if you're looking for exacting info, I confess to just hearing this on a news program about 20 minutes ago. I can no more quote a source or verify this than I can recite the entire Gettysburg Address verbatim.

Being that I was born on Sept 20th, I have a natural curiosity about the subject. I've reard the Sept 15-20 timeframe quoted a lot as being the most popular dates. I recall in my grammar school calsses quite a few people born on or near my birthdate. I had one girlfriend born on the exact same day/year and a sister-in-law orn the day after (diff year). Also I've a close friend born on October 2nd.

However, these anecdotal occurences neither confirm nor deny October 5th date as being the most popular day for a birthday.

It would be interesting to see if someone can come up with a more definitive
answer. Of course the climate at this time of the year probably would influence the result too. So let's limit the geo region to North American continent.

{Edit: Here's one website that claims that day is today from www.americanbaby.com:}
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20061005083222AAvOF2a
Sturgis

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2011 07:40 am
@Ragman,
Wasn't looking to argue with you, just stating my take on it, happened across an article and was curious where your data was from.

I've long believed late August to early December babies are the result of poor heating in colder climates. To adjust to what the landlord fails to give, the bitter married couple must resort to creating body warmth. 9 months later the baby is born, 10 months later, to avoid a repeat of the horror, the new father buys a stack of wool blankets. All future children are conceived in warmer months.
Ragman

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2011 08:05 am
@Sturgis,
I didn't think you were arguing the point; however, being a long-in-the-tooth A2K-er I was anticipating rebuttal and/or request for something more factually back-up-able.

Goodness, what a dark but humorous view of marriage and renting!
0 Replies