What kind of soap did you use growing up?

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2011 08:28 am
@chai2,

OmSigDAVID wrote:

Quote:
What kind of soap did you use growing up?
Palmolive

David
chai2 wrote:
My grandmother would oft times point out to me the stock quote of Colgate Palmolive from the tiny columns in the Wall Street Journal she read regularly. She would do this as I played at her feet with a bar of Dr. Bronner's Castile Soap.
"Joicia" she said, "Tis iz a stock you shold alveys have. It pays you goot dividents, and it iz always going up and splitting"

Grandma was right. This last year it's ROIC was 21.75%, and it's had consecutive dividend increases for 48 years.

I still keep a few shares, and only buy Palmolive dishwashing detergent, for the occassional times when I hand wash something. Great for washing your car too.
I was always pleased with the results of Palmolive hand soap.

Was your grandmother German ?

David
chai2

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2011 10:12 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Polish.
But I don't know how to type a Polish accent.

Izzie

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2011 10:30 am
eeeeuw... I feel kinda sick even reading this thread Embarrassed <pass the bucket>

growing up...hmmm... lux and camay

Now - I've such an aversion to soap bars... <gags>  http://www.realflowforum.com/img/smilies/smiley-eek.png

yuk yuk yuk

bit like avocado - yuk! (same reaction)

Always liquid soap (barrels of the stuff)

(must be my OCD tendancies coming out Wink can't bear to use soap that other people have used... ever!! ack - no way, no how, no chance)
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2011 10:57 am
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:
Polish.
But I don't know how to type a Polish accent.
That 's OK; I 'm sure that I don 't know the difference between those 2 accents.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2011 10:59 am
@Izzie,
Keep a bar of soap handy
for your EXCLUSIVE use.

David
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2011 01:37 pm
@Izzie,
Izzie wrote:

eeeeuw... I feel kinda sick even reading this thread Embarrassed <pass the bucket>

growing up...hmmm... lux and camay

Now - I've such an aversion to soap bars... <gags>  http://www.realflowforum.com/img/smilies/smiley-eek.png

yuk yuk yuk

bit like avocado - yuk! (same reaction)

Always liquid soap (barrels of the stuff)

(must be my OCD tendancies coming out Wink can't bear to use soap that other people have used... ever!! ack - no way, no how, no chance)

Ah...a kindred spirit.

If it weren't for the fact I'm the only one who uses the Pears bar, and I always stand in on end so it dries well, no way.

Wally likes the liquid stuff because every new bottle is a different scent.

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2011 01:41 pm
@wayne,
Watch out for the cow's tongue..
0 Replies

George

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2011 01:50 pm
@Izzie,
Izzie wrote:
. . . (must be my OCD tendancies coming out Wink can't bear to use soap
that other people have used... ever!! ack - no way, no how, no chance) . . .
But if you had to use a bar someone else had used, would you wash it first?
chai2

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2011 02:09 pm
@George,
George wrote:

Izzie wrote:
. . . (must be my OCD tendancies coming out Wink can't bear to use soap
that other people have used... ever!! ack - no way, no how, no chance) . . .
But if you had to use a bar someone else had used, would you wash it first?

I'd pour alcohol on it.
Rockhead

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2011 02:10 pm
@chai2,
Jim Beam?
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2011 02:15 pm
@chai2,
so, I gotta ask...

those of you who are bar soap phobic, are you against using someone else's scrunchy when you bring your own bottle of soap?

(I carry my bar when I go shower elsewhere)
George

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2011 02:18 pm
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:
. . . using someone else's scrunchy . . .
Say what?
Rockhead

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2011 02:20 pm
@George,
are you unfamiliar with liquid soap technology, G...?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EH0a5NIZ9SI
George

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2011 02:25 pm
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:
are you unfamiliar with liquid soap technology, G...?

You press down on the dispenser
and soap squirts into your hand
and you wash yourself.

(Can't get to youtube from here, so I don't know what you linked to.)
ossobuco

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2011 02:27 pm
I've gone down hill, microorganism wise.

I started out as pretty much a clean fanatic, though I have to say that even then I couldn't measure up to Chai and Mismi. But I tried. I loved (and loathed) having my first apartment, the one with the inherent cockroach problem and the playmate of the year in the duplex past my bedroom wall. She's the one that shot her husband recently.

Back then, I used to set my hair, use eyeliner, the whole schmegeggy. A life of much upkeep. Cologne - given to me by others, since I can't smell worth a fig.
(past history - a childhood friend from NYC visited in LA when we were thirteen. I'd never seen so much makeup in my life. I still think eastern u.s. women are more involved in makeup. I didn't take daily showers until I was a midteen - cultural change.) Point being that setting my hair and using eyeliner et al was a new phase.

Well, anyway, my next apartment, searched for by driving up and down west LA streets for a few weeks looking for signs, was golden. It was a second story flat over a spanish style house. Close to all sorts of interesting places, including work. I lived there for seven years. Got into mild renovation with my landlord's consent. The place always looked swell. Landlord liked me, so the rent didn't rise over all those years.

But I left there to try some adventure. I still worked at my realworld job, but rented a two room place in an iffy art studio building at the beach. Had friends with garages store some of my stuff. That was funky. (One of the Kipper Kids showed up in the hall to see if I'd give him a lipstick to use in the performance theater they were doing..)

Moved to a large old eagles lodge, where friend and I had a gallery, studio, dogs, and theater people and boyfriends, and tried very hard to keep it clean. But my standards started to melt.

Bought a house with one of the theater people. Immediately renovated it to what it already was, an old beach cottage. Kept house clean most of the time.
My boyfriend/house co owner arrived with cats. Thus followed the allergy years. He swept, etc., and I organized everything and wiped down shelves. Even that sent me into allergy tharn for a few days, cat dander and mold, I assume, Venice being often damp.

In my background, that real life job involved me being a bacteriologist/immunology research tech. The lab of course had to be clean. So the last thing I wanted to do when I got home from work was clean shelves.
My standards melted some more - one level for work, one for home. My mate wasn't all that interested in upkeep either, as any kind of routine. He'd get into it when it seemed like a good idea to him. I took on the garden (many times). We had spontaneous clean the house up days.

The house mate became my husband and life barreled on. I left the medical world to see my way into art and design, and got nineteen hour days busy. My tidiness decreased.

Years went by, including divorce and moving. All along I've followed bioscience articles - which leads me to say that I'm really interested in that microbiome project BBB just posted about, as it fits some of my past reading.

http://able2know.org/topic/178507-1

I remain confused - I think the people in the article are for the most part right - but I was educated about terrible plague, and many microbiological scourges over centuries.

It remains that I think of a clean counter as an aesthetic thing instead of a health point. Unless I have a house full of immune deprived folks. Or Ebola comes to town. I worry about modern agriculture production.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2011 02:28 pm
@George,
I forgot you were at the wicket factory.

goggle "shower scrunchie" for now...

they do let you goggle, yes?
chai2

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2011 03:11 pm
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:

so, I gotta ask...

those of you who are bar soap phobic, are you against using someone else's scrunchy when you bring your own bottle of soap?

oh my god yes.

using the same wash cloth/scrunchie?

jesus you are one sick f*ck
ossobuco

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2011 03:20 pm
So the big bar soap I bought a while ago was admittedly a little awkward to handle on first unwrapping - 1 1/2 x 2 1/4 x 4 1/4. But now it's got rounded edges. In time it will become perfect..

I admit that I don't want to share it.
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2011 03:21 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

Rockhead wrote:

so, I gotta ask...

oh my god yes.

using the same wash cloth/scrunchie?

jesus you are one sick f*ck

eeeeuw... nasty!

heh George - I'd have to power wash it with the tap before using it Wink

I just try to avoid soap bars unless I have to - with little boys with a fondness for grubs, worms, frogs, toads and snails... I often found too many remnants in the soap for my liking.

Now, when it's me with the bugs and oozing things, that doesn't worry me at all - but no bars in this 'ere part of woirld. Bottles and bottles of liquid soaps.

Ha, a lady came into school at the summer fayre and had a stall of homemade soap... beautiful it was... but sheesh, the smell was unbelievable in the classroom and I had to leave, quick smart. Soap, soap smell, fairy liquid washing up liquid - I swear if it's in the room I can taste it. Nasty. Anything that's washed with fairy liquid in the kitchen, has to be rinsed off completely, can't have residual or soap bubbles of anysort on plates etc.

Avocado is like soap. Blech!

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2011 06:39 pm
I had to look up scrunchie too....oh now, I'd rather use my hands, much more
hygienic than a wash cloth or scrunchie.