What kind of soap did you use growing up?

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2011 05:09 pm
@blueveinedthrobber,
I do recall seeing Lifebuoy soap but can't recall in which phase of life it was used.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2011 06:25 pm
We used all sorts...Lava for outdoor grime, Ivory for face soap, Dial & others for bath soap. But once they came out with Irish Spring, that was unanimously our favorite bath soap. It still is. (The original green, not that awful blue version.)
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2011 06:27 pm
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:

we got whatever was on sale as kids.

I now use dove unscented. (it still smells)

My aunt bought me a bar of Dove soap when I was a kid. I felt like it was so fancy.

I used it, trying to like it because she was my favorite aunt.

Too creamy for me, it would turn to mush. (it is one quarter cleansing cream you know)

I like my soap to smell bright and clean, not all artifically flowery.
I've never tried Crabtree and Evelyn, but I think I'd like that, or, you know, some of them.

chai2

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2011 06:29 pm
@CalamityJane,
BTW CJ, I got some of that moraccan hair oil about a month ago, and I love it!

Thanks for the tip.
Rockhead

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2011 06:30 pm
@chai2,
I keep it in a plastic baggy.

Stinky lurves the way I smell after a shower.

that's all that counts...
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2011 06:44 pm
I love Fels Naptha. Use it as often as I can for cleaning and washing my hands. I usse a lavender/vanilla liquid soap in the shower from Bath and Body. I love it.

I really loved the salt scrub for gardeners from Williams-Sonoma. What a great feeling after using that!!

Those Moroccan products are expensive but absolutely wonderful.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2011 06:51 pm
@chai2,
My pleasure! It really does wonders for dry hair...
0 Replies

MMarciano

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2011 06:58 pm
You people had bar soap growing up? Hell we just jumped in the surf.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2011 07:48 pm
I remember Pears at my grandparents and something pink in my bathroom as a kid, but as a teen I started using some soap I was sold at a facial salon. No name that I can recall, but I remember the wrapping had little stars on a dark blue background. I'm sure I paid too much for it. I've made my own soap for at least 15 years. I make a very simple olive oil with safflower oil and milk. I use a vetiver scent for my husband and I prefer a yang-yang or rose. I make it twice a year and store it in our linen cabinet in hat boxes.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2011 08:37 pm
I remember using these as a young teen:

http://img.coplusk.net/originals/0004/1865/14354.jpg

http://www.yardley.afgdev.com/wp-content/themes/afg-template/images/home/yardley-home-3.png

http://www.combiphar.com/imagescontent/product/20080319130338.gif

Now I just use whatever deodorant bar soap that is on sale in the summers and switch to a bar soap with moisturizers in the winter.
ehBeth

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2011 09:15 pm
@Butrflynet,
I think hamburgboy and I mostly used Ivory when I was a kid - it was one of the only soaps that didn't irritate our skin.

mrs hamburger always had a stash of nice Spanish soaps. they're still my favourites

http://www.tienda.com/bath/soap.html

this is a special treat when I find it

http://www.perfumela.com/images/full/Maja-Soap-3.jpg

Quote:
Maja Soap by Maja 4.9 oz 3 Soap Cakes for Women. Launched By The Design House Of Myrurgia In 1921, Maja Is Classified As A Refined, Subtle, Oriental Fragrance. This Feminine Scent Possesses A Blend Of A Balanced Blend Of Citrus, Lavender, Spice And Woods. It Is Recommended For Evening Wear.

mmmmmmm spicy soap
0 Replies

wayne

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2011 10:06 pm
I think my mom bought whatever was cheap, dial was one I recall, I never really used it, typical boy.

My dad owned a gas station, he used Boraxo for his hands back in the days before Lava. He always had a jar of Pacquin hand cream too.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2011 11:53 pm
@CalamityJane,
We used "Kappus Arztseife" (Doctor's soap), which my father got free from the hospital ... (Or he just took it, I suppose)
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2011 04:29 am
@chai2,
Yep...used Cashmere Bouquet as a kid. I remember Irish Spring and Dial as well. Some Ivory - especially as a teen. They said it was supposed to be good for cleaning your face. The key keeping the Ivory solid and not squishy is sitting it up out of the water. I think it smells good. Clean. My boys whittle Ivory soap with their knives...they make boats...you know it floats right? Razz

I take the leftovers and put them in a dispenser with a lot of water and it makes great handsoap.

Now I just use whatever I can get that's the cheapest.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2011 05:32 am
We used Ivory. Now, i use whatever The Girl buys. Ivory is very desiccating, and is not good for people with dry skin. However, my skin is oily, so for most of my life i've bought Ivory.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2011 06:54 am
@wayne,
wayne wrote:

I think my mom bought whatever was cheap, dial was one I recall, I never really used it, typical boy.

So, what did you use to clean yourself, if not soap?
chai2

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2011 07:02 am
I find it interesting that most of us use bar soaps, and not liquid body wash.

I personally prefer body wash, as I think it keeps the bathroom area cleaner, no bar soap sticking to something, slivers of soap, etc.
I have my own bathroom no one else uses, but a big turn off to me when sharing a bathroom is using a bar of soap that has touched someone elses body.

Body wash of course, doesn't do that.

However, I love Pears so much, and got it at such a cheap price, I'm willing to put up with the bars.

Wally uses body wash, since we have bottles and bottles I got for free. All different brands.

Before liquid soap dispensers became the norm in public rest rooms, I would get so grossed out by having to use bars of soap that God knows who had just used.
Not sure, but I seem to remember a certain type of dispenser in public rest rooms, but I remember seeing bars too.
mismi

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2011 07:10 am
@chai2,
wayne wrote:

Quote:

Chai wrote:
Quote:

Typical Boy? Sounds like he just got wet and got out. Smile
Dudley Bowring

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2011 07:28 am
@mismi,
We always made our own soap, which was always great fun.

We made it from fat and lye. It works wonders on white fabric.

The fat, we got from my uncle. He always had plenty.

The lye we leeched ourselves.

My dad, he called himself the lye-er. Always told us what a great job we were doing.

First we dug a pit, to retain the ashes.

Into this ash hole, we'd pack logs. Nice and tight. Then we'd light that ash hole on fire. Even after the fire burned down, that ash would be hot. Hot, white ash. We'd have to let it cool, then we'd dig it out.

We'd leech the lye from that white ash, and mix it with the fat. Then we could get cleaned up. Digging in that ash hole always made me filthy.
chai2

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2011 07:43 am
@mismi,
mismi wrote:

wayne wrote:

Quote:

Chai wrote:
Quote:

Typical Boy? Sounds like he just got wet and got out. Smile

Yeah, I figured.

But surely someone, i.e. mom, noticied he stunk and had grime on him?