Cells: Maintenance vs. Growth & Reproduction

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2011 11:32 am
Hi:

What would happen to my body if it were subjected to genetically-engineering to focus on cellular maintenance as opposed to cellular reproduction/growth?

In this theoretical situation, none of the cells of my body die unless exposed to physical injury from external sources -- such as cuts, burns, toxins. However, none of these cells reproduce or grow either.

Also, in this possible-but-unlikely scenario, no part of my body experiences any inflammatory response to any circumstance. From the molecular to the cellular to the systemic level there is never any inflammation to any extent no matter how irritated any cell/tissue is.

To make matters more interesting, there is no amount of scarring even in the most serious of burns or other trauma that would otherwise cause it. The mechanisms involving scarring -- of any tissue -- are completely absent. Also, my blood not clot unless it leaves a blood vessel during any injury.

If all of the above were to somehow happens [perhaps using some extreme high-tech bioengineering], how would I feel? Would my quality of life be better than that of the average human?

Thanks,

GX
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 705 • Replies: 0
No top replies