Day by Day We Lose our Freedom in America

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2011 08:11 pm
As of sometime recently I can no longer bring a Starbucks to my kids football game. It is said that school officials fear that someone will bring alcohol. I have never heard such to be a problem.

America has been long a fearful nation, and it is now rapidely turning ugly as well.

Questioner

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2011 08:15 pm
@hawkeye10,
It was ugly to begin with. We're all such a vainglorious bunch of spoiled brats that we positively refuse to see any benefit to the greater good if it interferes at all in what we consider 'our rights'.

Growing up in Texas I can assure you that there were several sporting events that I wish had similar rules. Especially when parents get drunk and beat up on the ref, each other, their wives. . . . NO part of that is good for the kids to see.

If controlling the ridiculous bullshit that Americans label as 'freedoms' and 'liberties' means you have to wait 2 hours to finish your latte . . . I'll tune up the world's smallest violin for you.
Ceili

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2011 08:22 pm
Up here, we have a different approach. At the beginning of each sporting year, parents are made to sign an agreement/contract where by they agree to act in a decent, respectful manner at games. If the parent abuses their privilege, they are not allowed to come to another game/practice. Keeps the riff-raff in line and refs and other parents/teams can go to a game and enjoy themselves.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2011 08:22 pm
@hawkeye10,
they sell coffee at the game, and the proceeds benefit the school.

maybe you should bring it up with the collective at the next school board meeting...
Fido

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2011 08:27 pm
@Questioner,
Questioner wrote:

It was ugly to begin with. We're all such a vainglorious bunch of spoiled brats that we positively refuse to see any benefit to the greater good if it interferes at all in what we consider 'our rights'.

Growing up in Texas I can assure you that there were several sporting events that I wish had similar rules. Especially when parents get drunk and beat up on the ref, each other, their wives. . . . NO part of that is good for the kids to see.

If controlling the ridiculous bullshit that Americans label as 'freedoms' and 'liberties' means you have to wait 2 hours to finish your latte . . . I'll tune up the world's smallest violin for you.
Really??? Because from my perspective, even if a person is in the wrong, it is better to strike out at injustice and suffer the consequences later that to sit on ones ass and watch officials of any sort use their official positions without regard to justice, just because they expect to get away with it... People take the law for granted, but they are the law, and law without justice is not law at all... So let idiots beat up on refs once in a while, and let refs get their eyes checked as well... If some gorilla tells me I made a bad call, I am not going to tell him to grab his bananna and sit down... Little pipsqueeks like my kid run the law because it tends to make the geeks the equals of the goons... The problem is that some times the goons and gorillas are right and the geeks are using their positions to serve themselves and the rest of geekdom without civil due regard... Every once in a while, the gorillas have to string up a few geeks to teach the geeks that law exists to deliver justice, and that anyone calling them as they see them ought to share the majority point of view, at least...
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2011 08:32 pm
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:

they sell coffee at the game, and the proceeds benefit the school.

maybe you should bring it up with the collective at the next school board meeting...
we used to condem corpoartions for being greedy for pulling that ****......looks to me that there is a bit of frog in the hot water action going on, that as we lose our freedom and get fleaced by the theives we remain open to the thugs comming back for more.
Ceili

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2011 08:34 pm
@hawkeye10,
Puhleaze... I doubt the school or team is fleecing you with the price of a cup of coffee, for that, look no further than Starbucks.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2011 08:34 pm
@hawkeye10,
you've been hangin' with BillRM too much.

your spelling is as bad as your reasoning now...

(or have you got booze in that coffee?)
Questioner

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2011 08:36 pm
@Fido,
Fido wrote:

Really??? Because from my perspective, even if a person is in the wrong, it is better to strike out at injustice and suffer the consequences later that to sit on ones ass and watch officials of any sort use their official positions without regard to justice, just because they expect to get away with it... People take the law for granted, but they are the law, and law without justice is not law at all... So let idiots beat up on refs once in a while, and let refs get their eyes checked as well... If some gorilla tells me I made a bad call, I am not going to tell him to grab his bananna and sit down... Little pipsqueeks like my kid run the law because it tends to make the geeks the equals of the goons... The problem is that some times the goons and gorillas are right and the geeks are using their positions to serve themselves and the rest of geekdom without civil due regard... Every once in a while, the gorillas have to string up a few geeks to teach the geeks that law exists to deliver justice, and that anyone calling them as they see them ought to share the majority point of view, at least...

There is no law stating that you have the right to drink a latte at a sanctioned sporting event. There ARE, however, quite a few laws involving drunk and disorderly conduct and for good reason. If 'some gorilla' shows up with a coffee cup full of vodka and gets hammered, belligerent, and abusive to those sitting around him, he takes away THEIR liberties.

And that's what burns me. Put 10 people in a room, 9 of whom have emphysema and one that's a chain smoker and tell them there's no smoking. . . the one chain-smoker will go apeshit, screaming and beating his chest about his rights and privileges and not for one damn minute think about the other 9 people in the room.

THAT's where unrestrained 'freedom' gets you. It's turned us into a country of enablers. And then we have the audacity to be shocked when kids like Bamwhatever show up on a2k wanting to call CPS on his mom for scolding him in a McDonalds.
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2011 10:30 pm
@Questioner,
Quote:
There is no law stating that you have the right to drink a latte at a sanctioned sporting event. There ARE, however, quite a few laws involving drunk and disorderly conduct and for good reason.

There is a big difference between prophylactically removing everyones freedom to drink lattes at the foodball game in the attempt to maintain order and penalizing those who use their freedom to get hammered and behave like a drunk fool.

You are not really as dumb as you appear, are you?
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2011 10:52 pm
@Rockhead,
Quote:
your spelling is as bad as your reasoning now...
I suck at Android typing...
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2011 11:06 pm
@hawkeye10,
Bit early in the discussion for name calling Mr Fearful Nation.

0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2011 11:56 pm
@Questioner,
Questioner wrote:
It was ugly to begin with. We're all such a vainglorious bunch of spoiled brats that we positively refuse
to see any benefit to the greater good if it interferes at all in what we consider 'our rights'.
Let the record show that MY allegiance
is to personal freedom and to the rights of the Individual.
Let the "greater good" be damned.

David
Fido

Reply Sat 1 Oct, 2011 06:06 am
@Questioner,
Questioner wrote:

Fido wrote:

There is no law stating that you have the right to drink a latte at a sanctioned sporting event. There ARE, however, quite a few laws involving drunk and disorderly conduct and for good reason. If 'some gorilla' shows up with a coffee cup full of vodka and gets hammered, belligerent, and abusive to those sitting around him, he takes away THEIR liberties.

And that's what burns me. Put 10 people in a room, 9 of whom have emphysema and one that's a chain smoker and tell them there's no smoking. . . the one chain-smoker will go apeshit, screaming and beating his chest about his rights and privileges and not for one damn minute think about the other 9 people in the room.

THAT's where unrestrained 'freedom' gets you. It's turned us into a country of enablers. And then we have the audacity to be shocked when kids like Bamwhatever show up on a2k wanting to call CPS on his mom for scolding him in a McDonalds.
Laws never state rights, but always set limits on behaviors that infringe upon rights; that is: Laws state wrongs, not rights, because a person's rights, if they will be free, is a set of all infinite behaviors not infringing upon the rights of others that a free person in the pursuit of happiness or survival might find essential to his well being... If to have a right one need have a law we would have more law books and lawyers than free people...

There are already laws against being drunk and dis-orderly... The people need no greater protection than that, and since one is on public property, that is, on our common property, what ever baggage is commmon to the person off the property should be expected to be common on it...
Fido

Reply Sat 1 Oct, 2011 06:16 am
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

Questioner wrote:
It was ugly to begin with. We're all such a vainglorious bunch of spoiled brats that we positively refuse
to see any benefit to the greater good if it interferes at all in what we consider 'our rights'.
Let the record show that MY allegiance
is to personal freedom and to the rights of the Individual.
Let the "greater good" be damned.

DavidDavid; It is out of individual good that the greater good comes... People should be free, and if they are not finally free in their person's, and in their bodies, to do with themselves, and go themselves where they will then they are not free... It may become necessary for the many to set restrictions on the few... If a few and the majority of them decide to sell themselves into slavery for some short term gain to them, then they leave only the rest to defend their freedom along with the property and lives of the rest... It is fair for the many to demand of the few that they remain free and able to mount a defense of their rights...

If you cannot get what I am saying, let me restate... It is within the rights of the many to damand of their fellow citizens that they remain free, and uphold the obligations of freedom... It is never within the rights or powers of any majority of any size to limit the freedom of the individual to do himself good, or do good to society unless for some good reason, such as an injury to the whole people as that is beyond freedom or acceptablilty....
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sat 1 Oct, 2011 06:26 am
this is exactly why i didn't have kids, so i wouldn't have to waste my time at sporting events
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 1 Oct, 2011 06:28 am
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:
this is exactly why i didn't have kids, so i wouldn't have to waste my time at sporting events
That is one of MANY good reasons.

David
Fido

Reply Sat 1 Oct, 2011 06:38 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Too bad that most of those people who hate kids already have them...
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 1 Oct, 2011 12:47 pm
@Fido,
Quote:
There are already laws against being drunk and dis-orderly... The people need no greater protection than that
Not only that, but there has for a great many years already been at least one cop on site during the game, any drunk situation can be quickly delth with, not that there has been any drunk situation mind you. Americans are extremely well behaved these day, more law abiding and docile than we have been at any time during my lifetime, so what is the justification for this removal of freedom? For this treating me like a child who is in need of a nanny? Of this assumption that we citizens are evil doers who require suppression??
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 1 Oct, 2011 12:55 pm
@Fido,
Fido wrote:
Too bad that most of those people who hate kids already have them...
Sometimes thay change their minds; not always.
There appears to be a mechanism (an unreliable mechanism)
hard wired into people whereby thay can be extremely affected
by becoming parents.

Sometimes the meaning and the focus of their lives
changes from themselves toward their children.

Other times, thay do not like one another; personality conflict.
Occasionally, homicide becomes involved by one killing the other or vice-versa.

I 'm glad that I don 't have to put up with that.

David
0 Replies