What it feels like at the last moments, before you die?

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2011 05:58 pm
i know some of you are probably saying, "what a stupid question to ask, if i knew that i would not be alive" but notice i said BEFORE, like when people usually say the goodbyes because they know they are going to dye whit in the next minute. Think about it for a second ... around 70,000 people die in the world each day, i find it strange that in the time sense man walks the earth not even one dying man has explain to the person next to him what it feels like at the last moments
i know that people don't usually talk about death because it helps not think about it, and i don't blame them, but im just really curious
sorry about my English and thank you for your time
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 24 • Views: 67,772 • Replies: 79

Rockhead

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2011 06:02 pm
@julmir08,
I would guess most every one is different.

of the ones who were conscious in the last moments, a sizable number would be saying "oh ****".
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2011 06:05 pm
All things considered, I would prefer to be in Philadelphia.
roger

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2011 06:11 pm
@Rockhead,
That's exactly what I said.
Green Witch

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2011 07:04 pm
@julmir08,
There have been many things written about those last moments. I suggest you find the book by Elizabeth Kubler Ross called On Death and Dying as a start. There are also ancient text books such as The Tibetan Book of the Dead that offer other perspectives of what those last moments are like.
wayne

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2011 02:58 am
@roger,
I'm willing to bet Peter Boyle said "Holy Crap" !!!!
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2011 04:01 am
@julmir08,
julmir08 wrote:
i know some of you are probably saying, "what a stupid question to ask, if i knew that i would not be alive"
That is factually incorrect. My dead friend, Neil, died in the Veterans' Hospital of Las Vegas 12 times within an hour, in 1988.
He told me about it on the fone and I confirmed it
by speaking to the floor nurse at his hospital.
In 2005, I died twice during surgery.
Being unconscious, I did not remember anything other that awakening.

julmir08 wrote:
but notice i said BEFORE, like when people usually say the goodbyes because they know they are going to dye whit in the next minute. Think about it for a second ... around 70,000 people die in the world each day, i find it strange that in the time sense man walks the earth not even one dying man has explain to the person next to him what it feels like at the last moments
I have spoken to many, many people who have died.
I did earlier this month, at the annual convention of
the International Association for Near Death Studies,
in Durham, North Carolina. www.IANDS.org

Thay say that dying can be painful, but death of the human body
is very pleasant. Many of them were very disinclined to get back
into their human bodies; thay compared that to getting stuffed
into a mayonaise jar, or to being put back in jail.

julmir08 wrote:
i know that people don't usually talk about death because it helps not think about it
Many of them r happy to discuss it all the time.
"Death" is fake. Its only molting.

julmir08 wrote:
and i don't blame them, but im just really curious
sorry about my English and thank you for your time
Try the link ( hereinabove ).
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2011 04:04 am
@Green Witch,
Green Witch wrote:
There have been many things written about those last moments. I suggest you find the book by Elizabeth Kubler Ross called On Death and Dying as a start. There are also ancient text books such as The Tibetan Book of the Dead that offer other perspectives of what those last moments are like.
Even BETTER, is my friend, Raymond Moody, Jr. M.D. Life After Life

He is our pioneer. He addressed our convention this month. www.IANDS.org

David
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2011 09:56 am
@julmir08,
I can't tell you what it was like just before I was born--and I WAS ALIVE THEN. How can I expect to tell you what it's like to be dying after I died--UNLESS I DIDN"T actually die?
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2011 10:06 am
@JLNobody,
JLNobody wrote:
I can't tell you what it was like just before I was born--and I WAS ALIVE THEN.

How can I expect to tell you what it's like to be dying after I died--UNLESS I DIDN"T actually die?
Obviously, the answer is that u explain how it was AFTER
u have returned from death (i.e., no EKG, no EEG, no respiration for a while). That 's HOW.

David
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2011 10:20 am
...it must feel like one thinking around all the dumb things such as this line of questioning...how about that ? Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

igm

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2011 10:28 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

All things considered, I would prefer to be in Philadelphia.

W. C. Fields preferred it before you! ....It's on his gravestone.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2011 10:41 am
@julmir08,
Your brain begins shutting down. The last thing you see in your brain is a strong light followed by your brain darkening from lack of oxygen. You don't feel anything.

BBB
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2011 10:47 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:

Your brain begins shutting down. The last thing you see in your brain is a strong light followed by your brain darkening from lack of oxygen. You don't feel anything.

BBB
HOW do u know this ??
What is the source of your information ?
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2011 10:59 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Do you think your brain can absorb and answer? I learned a lot by working among physicians for ten years---long ago.

What is Brain Death?

First, one must clarify that everyone dies of "brain death." Whether an old person suffers cardiac arrest resulting in the lack of oxygen and nutrients to the brain, or a younger person suffers a gunshot wound to the head resulting in brain death, it's the same diagnosis.

The brain controls all our bodily functions, but there are three things it cannot do:

It cannot feel pain. The brain can feel pain from all over the body, but not within itself.

The brain cannot store oxygen. A person can feel a lack of oxygen after only a few seconds. When someone stands up too quickly and becomes dizzy, this is an example of the loss of blood flow to the brain that can be sensed.

The brain cannot store glucose (blood sugar). Diabetics who give themselves too much insulin can drop their blood sugar level and faint, and without immediate glucose infusion the brain can die.

The brain can survive for up to about six minutes after the heart stops. The reason to learn cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) is that if CPR is started within six minutes of cardiac arrest, the brain may survive the lack of oxygen. After about six minutes without CPR, however, the brain begins to die. (See How CPR Works to learn more about the procedure.) Prompt resuscitation allows the physician time to assess and treat the damaged brain. Medication and mechanical ventilation permit tissue oxygenation, but severe brain damage or a prolonged period without oxygen or glucose causes the death of the brain.

By definition, "brain death" is "when the entire brain, including the brain stem, has irreversibly lost all function." The legal time of death is "that time when a physician(s) has determined that the brain and the brain stem have irreversibly lost all neurological function."

Here is the process:

http://science.howstuffworks.com/environmental/life/human-biology/brain-death2.htm
JLNobody

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2011 01:49 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
You express what I call the Lazarus psychosis.
chai2

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2011 02:00 pm
@julmir08,
julmir08 wrote:

i know some of you are probably saying, "what a stupid question to ask, if i knew that i would not be alive" but notice i said BEFORE, like when people usually say the goodbyes because they know they are going to dye whit in the next minute. Think about it for a second ... around 70,000 people die in the world each day, i find it strange that in the time sense man walks the earth not even one dying man has explain to the person next to him what it feels like at the last moments

First off, a hell of a lot more than 70,000 people die every day.

And how the hell do you know that in all the time man has walked the earth not even one dying person has told the person next to them what it's like.

Where did you come up with this crap?

JLNobody

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2011 03:17 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
Thanks BBB. But you know, of course, that this--or any evidence--will persuade David of our mortality. He's on a grand crusade for a grand immortality fantasy.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2011 04:36 pm
@julmir08,
julmir08 wrote:

i find it strange that in the time sense man walks the earth not even one dying

It would be strange if it never happened, but I don't think that's the case.

It's not that peculiar that you might think it was the case though.

First of all, Clearly no one has done it with such convincing authority that most of the world has a shared accepted understanding. You don't ever hear anyone say "Well, like Glenn Chessing said, just before you die..."

Secondly what it feels like just before you die is not a question of much interest to anyone, certainly not as much interest as the question of what it feels like after you die, and even Glenn Chessing can't help us with that one.

Maybe because there is no Glenn Chessing who has informed us that it is a very methodical and predictable experience that lasts precisely 7 minutes or at least what the minds perceives to be 7 minutes, there's not much to theorize about.

The cliché is that in the last moments before death you see a bright light as if shining from the end of long tunnel. Often the recounted experience includes known or unknown entities urging you join them in the light.

Sound like a story you make up to tell a little kid going to bed who is afraid of dying.

I've read or heard a number of theories about how the bright light end is explainable based on what sensations the brain is likely to experience as it shuts down. Seems pointless to try and explain, but for some people, the urge to wipe out any possible hope some dumb dying bastard might have for a life after Death with God is too compelling.

I also read somewhere that the bright light experience is something your brain has concocted for you to make dying less fearful and more acceptable. This seems like a total crock. What? Your brain is just being a nice guy because he's spent so much time with you and wants you to have a going away present? It sure doesn't seem like something for which you could credit natural selection.

I hope there is a hell, if only for the guy(s) who are trying to explain away a reassuring and cool experience your own brain has been nice enough to make for you so that you don't entirely freak when The Grim Reaper is right there on top of you. What pricks. If you're someone who might end up there, say hello to Christopher Hitchens for me.

The Bright Light Experience may be the biggest cliché, but it's not the only rumor going around.

I also saw a show (notice how many NatGeo, Discovery and Animal Planet shows are now devoted to the paranormal? It's a little depressing) in which they interviewed several people who swore that they had died but rather than stepping into a Bright White Light as Grandma and Grandma Chessing, their first grade teacher Miss Marks and their dog Fritz urged to come on over, they found themselves in Hell. For some of them it was the real fire and brimstone deal, but for others it was much more terrifying representations like awaking to find yourself being crushed and smothered within a wet and cold embryonic sac. On one thing they all agreed though, no matter what it looked like, there was no question but that it was Hell.

Heaven or Hell, the people telling the tales all somehow managed to get back.

Generally speaking the folks who experience the Bright Light are pretty upbeat, and why not? They now know there is benign life after Death, possibly God and probably friends and family. More importantly, because none of the Bright White Lighters are ever grizzled old monks who have spent an earthly lifetime of contemplation and sacrifice, it seems pretty clear that you don't have to be all that wonderful to qualify for admission. A lot of them attend church regularly, after they come back but I think this is because they hope to learn a little more about this God guy, before the next time they see him.

For the ones who escaped Hell and returned they all were bound and determined to turn things around so the next time they could get the White Light instead of the cold birth sac. One poor bastard, though, was convinced it didn't matter what he did between now and re-entry. He knew he was going back to Hell. Surprisingly, this grim acceptance hadn't led him to lead a totally hedonistic life. If you're going to suffer for eternity, you might as well feel like you earned it. Nope, he was just plodding along, sort of in shock.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2011 06:01 pm
@JLNobody,
JLNobody wrote:
You express what I call the Lazarus psychosis.
U can call anything whatever u want,
but that does not make your allegations true.

Some of the separations of consciousness from the human body have been objectively verified
(e.g., when the decedent has seen & heard insolent relatives out in the waiting room, bad mouthing
the decedent [while his human body is in a state of death] who later
had recourse to his attorney and had him disinherited).

"Death" is fake and u r promoting idle superstition, JL.
Its only molting.

David