Which is better Cats or Dogs?

Setanta

Reply Tue 27 Sep, 2011 03:57 am
Get thee behind me, evil feline Satanist!
0 Replies

wayne

Reply Tue 27 Sep, 2011 04:17 am
I always get a kick out of the polarity of the cat people/dog people issue.
Personally, I like both species for their own merits. I find cats to be admirable for their sense of independence. Dogs, I admire for their loyalty and courage.
I've had the opportunity to see both animals perform remarkable feats of intelligence and character.
Dogs do seem to be of greater use to man in his endeavors, however, the cat has always had it's place too.
Is there an animal as regal as the Tiger, or awesome as the Mastiff?
Setanta

Reply Tue 27 Sep, 2011 04:35 am
@wayne,
Quote:
Is there an animal as regal as the Tiger, or awesome as the Mastiff?

Angelina Jolie
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 27 Sep, 2011 10:40 am
@Roberta,
Roberta wrote:

I remember philosophy class in college. Nobody asked me about cats and dogs.

I may be giving the instructor more credit than he or she is due, but I would like to believe that the assignment has nothing to do with dogs and cats but with how the students choose to concieve of and define "better."

Even at that it's a pretty elementary approach, but somehow I don't think the class is geared towards doctoral candidates, and I suspect it will be more effective, for this class, than if the assignment had been "Which is better? Plato or Kant?"
Butrflynet

Reply Tue 27 Sep, 2011 10:49 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Yep, I was just going to say mostly the same thing. I'll add that it being this early in the school year, the teacher may be using this to get a baseline estimate of how competent the students are in composing an essay and argument for future, more philosophical assignments.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 27 Sep, 2011 11:07 am
@Butrflynet,
For the sake of education in the Free World, we can hope.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Tue 27 Sep, 2011 11:39 am
This appears to be one of the newer UK A-level course (age 16-17) mistakenly assumed to be "cool" by students who are unfortunately not as equipped in literacy and numeracy as students were in previous years, and therefore who seek to avoid "harder"(traditional) subjects. The teacher will have his work cut out in getting them to write anything satisfactorily, never mind "philosophy" per se.. Even some British universities (post A-level) have needed to establish remedial classes in English.
0 Replies

penrocks

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2011 02:32 am
@loopylu15,
I'll go for dogs, though I love cats too. Dogs look at us as their masters, unlike cats that they seem to look at their owners as their servants.
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2011 02:55 pm
@loopylu15,
Quote:
Tribute to a Dog

The best friend a man has in the world may turn against him and become his enemy. His son or daughter that he has reared with loving care may prove ungrateful. Those who are nearest and dearest to us, those whom we trust with our happiness and our good name may become traitors to their faith. The money that a man has, he may lose. It flies away from him, perhaps when he needs it most. A man's reputation may be sacrificed in a moment of ill-considered action. The people who are prone to fall on their knees to do us honor when success is with us, may be the first to throw the stone of malice when failure settles its cloud upon our heads.

The one absolutely unselfish friend that man can have in this selfish world, the one that never deserts him, the one that never proves ungrateful or treacherous is his dog. A man's dog stands by him in prosperity and in poverty, in health and in sickness. He will sleep on the cold ground, where the wintry winds blow and the snow drives fiercely, if only he may be near his master's side. He will kiss the hand that has no food to offer. He will lick the wounds and sores that come in encounters with the roughness of the world. He guards the sleep of his pauper master as if he were a prince. When all other friends desert, he remains. When riches take wings, and reputation falls to pieces, he is as constant in his love as the sun in its journey through the heavens.

If fortune drives the master forth, an outcast in the world, friendless and homeless, the faithful dog asks no higher privilege than that of accompanying him, to guard him against danger, to fight against his enemies. And when the last scene of all comes, and death takes his master in its embrace and his body is laid away in the cold ground, no matter if all other friends pursue their way, there by the graveside will the noble dog be found, his head between his paws, his eyes sad, but open in alert watchfulness, faithful and true even in death.

George Graham Vest - c. 1855

I mark the measures of my own life not in years, jobs, or significant others, but in the Ages of Dogs to which I have been guardian.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2012 08:12 am

http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x336/RegionPhilbis/mans.jpg
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sat 18 Aug, 2012 06:22 am

http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x336/RegionPhilbis/greetings.jpg
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Mon 20 Aug, 2012 05:43 am

http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x336/RegionPhilbis/plainevil.jpg