Revisit = reevaluate and reuse? Norm = baseline?

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2011 06:24 am

Plus, what does "human" mean in "both in human and economic terms"? I think economic term belongs to the activities of human... So I guess the "human" here has its particular meaning. But what meaning?

Context:

The non-therapeutic use of antibiotics in animals continues to increase, despite recommendations from 15 WHO and others to have this practice stopped, as has been done in the European Union.Faced with these daunting therapeutic challenges, physicians in some countries have had to resort to antibiotics with unfavourable toxicity profiles and 16imited pharmacodynamic guidance (eg, colistin), as well as unconventional combinations of antibiotics that have not been investigated properly. Old ideas are being resurrected, such as the use of lytic bacteriophages, but with little evidence of clinical effectiveness. New approaches, such as defensins, targeted monoclonal antibodies, and agents designed to interrupt mechanisms of pathogenesis (eg, toll-like receptors, quorum sensing) have yet to fulfi ll their therapeutic potential.

Essentially, even as we are forced to revisit treatments that are more than 30 years old while waiting desperately for new research to bear fruit, we sense a pervasive belief in the scientific community that increasing resistance is the new norm. This is a misleading and costly attitude, both in human and economic terms.Some action has been taken in response to the mounting crisis. For example, the Infectious Diseases 17Society of America, US Centers for Disease Control and18 19Prevention (CDC), European commission, European 20Centre for Disease Prevention and Control (ECDC), and other expert groups and non-governmental organisations have worked hard to raise awareness and provoke action by government and industry.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 455 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2011 06:46 am
Revisit means to review. Norm, in this usage, means what can be expected. They are saying that even while the scientific community is obliged to review ("revisit") previous research on resistanced to antibiotics, there is now a wide-spread belief in the scientific community that resistance to antibiotics has become a normal ("norm") attribute of micro-organisms.
oristarA

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2011 08:10 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Revisit means to review. Norm, in this usage, means what can be expected. They are saying that even while the scientific community is obliged to review ("revisit") previous research on resistanced to antibiotics, there is now a wide-spread belief in the scientific community that resistance to antibiotics has become a normal ("norm") attribute of micro-organisms.

Cool. Thank you Set.

Plus, what does "human" mean in "both in human and economic terms"? I think economic term belongs to the activities of human... So I guess the "human" here has its particular meaning. But what meaning?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2011 10:25 am
No, you're making it to complicated. In human and economic terms just means in terms of the effect on humans and the effect on the economy.
0 Replies