the Jewish resistance under Nazi rule = ?

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2011 06:35 pm

the Jewish resistance under Nazi rule = the Jewish resistance against Nazi in the environment of Nazi rule?

If there's a resistance supporting Nazi, how to express?

Context:

Leonard Mlodinow is a physicist and author.

Mlodinow was born in Chicago, Illinois, of parents who were both Holocaust survivors.[1] His father, who spent more than a year in the Buchenwald concentration camp, had been a leader in the Jewish resistance under Nazi rule in his hometown of Częstochowa, Poland.[1] As a child, Mlodinow was interested in both mathematics and chemistry, and while in high school was tutored in organic chemistry by a professor from the University of Illinois.

As recounted in his book, Feynman's Rainbow, his interest turned to physics during a semester he took off from college to spend on a kibbutz in Israel, during which he had little to do at night beside reading The Feynman Lectures on Physics, which was one of the few English books he found in the kibbutz library.[1]
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 611 • Replies: 4
No top replies

parados

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2011 07:44 pm
@oristarA,
"Resistance" is normally against those in charge.

Germany invaded Poland so the resistance would have been those working against Germany.The Jewish resistance would have a different reason than just Polish nationalism in their fight against the Nazis.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2011 07:56 pm
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:

the Jewish resistance under Nazi rule = the Jewish resistance against Nazi in the environment of Nazi rule?

Yes

You would not typically use "resistance" to describe support, but if there was a country or ideology that was known, almost soley, for it's opposition to Nazis, then I suppose readers might follow that to resist this country or ideology was tantamount to supporting Nazis.

I think that if you wanted to express that a particular resistance movement supported Nazis you would best do so explicitly.

Context:

Leonard Mlodinow is a physicist and author.

Mlodinow was born in Chicago, Illinois, of parents who were both Holocaust survivors.[1] His father, who spent more than a year in the Buchenwald concentration camp, had been a leader in the Jewish resistance under Nazi rule in his hometown of Częstochowa, Poland.[1] As a child, Mlodinow was interested in both mathematics and chemistry, and while in high school was tutored in organic chemistry by a professor from the University of Illinois.

As recounted in his book, Feynman's Rainbow, his interest turned to physics during a semester he took off from college to spend on a kibbutz in Israel, during which he had little to do at night beside reading The Feynman Lectures on Physics, which was one of the few English books he found in the kibbutz library.[1]

0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2011 10:30 pm
Thank you both
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2011 02:20 am
@oristarA,

Quote:

I think that possibility can confidently be discounted.

Any support for the ideology would normally be described as "sympathisers".

(There was a surprising amount, not least in the USA)
0 Replies