8 Gauge Wire connected to 14/2 extension

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2011 04:29 pm
Hi - I have a aluminum covered wire (twisted aluminum on the outside). On the inside I have 3 wires, Black / Red / Ground, the wire runs from my electric panel connected to 15 AMP breaker.

The wire is 8 gauge - can I connect 14/2 wire to this and run elecric outlets from it ? I would use the red as hot and connect the black to neutral.

Would this be okay ?

Greg
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 2,351 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Butrflynet

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2011 04:38 pm
@simcoetech,
Sounds like something you should have a licensed professional electrician do, or at the least, consult on.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2011 05:11 pm
@simcoetech,
Your description is a bit confusing, Greg. Is the "aluminum covered wire (twisted aluminum on the outside)" describing your service wire?

"On the inside" of what?
0 Replies

Chinspinner

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2011 05:21 pm
@simcoetech,
If you are in the UK you need an electrician to do it, if you are letting the property and do not undertake this work in accordance with the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005 you can be held liable under common law (i.e. jail time). Its part of the building regs, get professional advice from the RICS. UK only.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2011 05:57 pm
@simcoetech,
You don't say where you are.
In the US the wires in MC cable would normally be black white and green.
White would be neutral if wired properly.

Black and Red are usually hot lines and would be used in a 220v system

By connecting a 14/2 wire to the system you would lose the ground. That is not recommended. If you are sure the wire is 8 g then I wouldn't suggest running a smaller size wire.
0 Replies

simcoetech

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2011 04:01 am
@simcoetech,

Hi Greg Here Again,

Some clarification - the wire is covered on the outside with aluminum/metal coil. The "inside" of the cable has 3 wires that I believe are 8 gauge Black/Red/ and a solid copper ground wire (all three wires are copper). I guess this was set for 220 initially but was never used.

I am in Canada - sorry the wire that I am connecting this to is not 14 / 2 but 14 / 3 (Black/White and a Ground Wire). So I would connect the Black to the Read, the White to the Black for Neutral and ground to ground.

Greg

0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2011 08:38 am
Quote:
sorry the wire that I am connecting this to is not 14 / 2 but 14 / 3 (Black/White and a Ground Wire).

That's not 14/3 wire, Greg. It's 14/2 wire. The bare grounding wire is not counted in the description.

14/3 has a black, a red and a white neutral plus a bare grounding wire.

Where does this wire - the one believed to be 8 gauge, run from and to?
0 Replies

wayne

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2011 03:07 pm
If this mysterious wire, you've described, is an unused stub proceeding from the 15 amp breaker, why not start fresh with 14/2 from the breaker.
It does appear, though, that you lack proper knowledge of the task you intend to undertake, in which case it would be best to seek professional assistance.
0 Replies